I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 572031 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: I am Enlightened by my Euphoria
« Reply #4335 on: December 31, 2015, 04:10:05 pm »

Well, basically. God said to Israel that he would give them the promised land, but they still had to go out and fight the dudes who were there first. Abraham (and lots of other guys) were promised children, but they (presumably) still needed to go at it with their wives for that to happen. Jesus promised us that anything we pray for in good faith will be given to us, so it stands to reason that we still need to put the effort in, even if God has a hand in the results.

Long story short, the Bible never advocates laziness.

how did you manage to puncture Tyre? :P
My name's Alexander.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: December 31, 2015, 04:45:53 pm »

Well, basically. God said to Israel that he would give them the promised land, but they still had to go out and fight the dudes who were there first. Abraham (and lots of other guys) were promised children, but they (presumably) still needed to go at it with their wives for that to happen. Jesus promised us that anything we pray for in good faith will be given to us, so it stands to reason that we still need to put the effort in, even if God has a hand in the results.

Long story short, the Bible never advocates laziness.
You can’t be fucking serious.

So let’s assume that people regularly pray for loved ones with terminal illnesses. That’s not hard to believe. Cancer’s a classic, so let’s go with that one. With your assumption, if someone prays for a cancer victim and the victim dies anyway, the supplicant was being lazy and didn’t really give an effort. Now, you’ve got to assume one of a few things.

1. The vast majority of people don’t die from cancer if they receive both treatment and prayer.
2. Most people who pray for cancer victims don’t really try to save a loved one from cancer.
3. Jesus was full of shit.
4. Jesus never actually said that.

Now, 1 is testable. I really doubt you’re going to pick 1, since we might be able to look that one up. If you believe 2, you’re not only wrong, you’re an asshole. Sure, maybe you could explain away a few cases as laziness on the part of the supplicant (and this fact was somehow enough to condemn the cancer victim to suffering and death for some reason), but 1 would still have to be true. 3 is the one I’d go with personally. I’m not sure about 4, since I honestly never did read the bible.

(There are a number of other problems with this, but I don’t want to complicate things too much.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 04:52:01 pm by Fenrir »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: December 31, 2015, 04:58:46 pm »

Except that the amount of effort needed to save people from cancer is a societal thing.  So it's not the supplicant, it's the pharmaceutical companies.  And they...Aren't.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: December 31, 2015, 05:02:36 pm »

Except that the amount of effort needed to save people from cancer is a societal thing.  So it's not the supplicant, it's the pharmaceutical companies.  And they...Aren't.
No, you don’t understand.

Jesus promised us that anything we pray for in good faith will be given to us
Either you get what you want, or you didn’t ask in good faith.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: December 31, 2015, 05:08:42 pm »

I think OW is saying you need to ask in good faith, but also take the necessary steps.  The cancer won't miraculously disappear, a doctor needs to cut it out and the patient has to undergo chemo.  But if you do that, and pray, then God will operate in the gaps to make things succeed.

I mean, it's standard God of the Gaps I think.  Like my fairies, they only exist where we can't yet observe.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: December 31, 2015, 05:21:43 pm »

I think OW is saying you need to ask in good faith, but also take the necessary steps.  The cancer won't miraculously disappear, a doctor needs to cut it out and the patient has to undergo chemo.  But if you do that, and pray, then God will operate in the gaps to make things succeed.

I mean, it's standard God of the Gaps I think.  Like my fairies, they only exist where we can't yet observe.
So 1, then, which means it’s testable, and then you’ve got to explain away every death from terminal illness from before human beings even had medical interventions, and then you’ve got to explain how this doesn’t make god a complete douchbag for killing somebody because someone else didn’t really mean it when they asked for the victim to be spared, and then you’ve got to explain how you can call surgery and chemotherapy “necessary steps” when god can just cure people and he already knows whether they’re going to work but puts the victim through it anyway.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: December 31, 2015, 05:26:58 pm »

Nah, the God of the Gaps (and my fairies) specifically *aren't* testable.  They shy away from scientific identification.
And many Christians believe God IS a "douchebag"...  In human terms (IE, relevant ones).

The main issue is that God is said to have performed flashy, direct miracles in the past.  Which is where my fairies are different from Jehovah...  Fairies have always stayed outside of rigorous observation.  Jehovah is said to have performed dozens of miracles specifically to convert people, but will not do so now.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: December 31, 2015, 05:29:13 pm »

Nah, the God of the Gaps (and my fairies) specifically *aren't* testable.  They shy away from scientific identification.
“God heals cancer victims if you treat them and pray for aid,” is testable. If you pray for someone and treat their cancer and they don’t get better that statement is wrong.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: December 31, 2015, 05:31:10 pm »

Milton has a quote about that, I think.

Something about the fall being in the service of the greater good, aka redemption.

Oh yeah, and people go to heaven if they're faithful, so dying isn't actually all that big a deal, and God would know that. That probably helps His calculations on the subject.

Also; blessed are the meek, the poor, the whatever. To suffer for another is the greatest gift. Or something. See: Jesus.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4344 on: December 31, 2015, 05:32:40 pm »

Okay, yeah, that was poorly explained. My point is that prayer is not a magical helpline. If anything it's more for the psychological benefits of getting things off your chest, so to speak.
If you're praying in God's name, you're basically praying for what God wants to coincide with what you want, which isn't always going to happen. God may want the cancer patient to die, for whatever reason. Which seems like a cop-out seeing as  I just said about Jesus saying your prayers would be answered. Strictly speaking a Christian is praying for God's plan to proceed, because God is good because God is good, so his plan is good as well, and we're praying for good things to happen, so we're praying for his plan to happen. The logic could win a gymnastics competition, but whatever.

It's kinda janky and awkward to explain of three hours of sleep. A fair bit is God of the Gaps stuff like Rolan said.

E: Rolep's point as well is part of it.

I choose Option 5: This world sucks and you don't always get what you want.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: December 31, 2015, 05:35:26 pm »

But if you try sometimes you might find...  you get what you need!

Stepping away because I'm arguing a position I don't fully hold, and might be doing a poor job.
She/they

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: December 31, 2015, 05:47:29 pm »

Jesus' miracles were anything but flashy/showy. Often he told everybody who witnessed them to not tell anybody about them. He is also described as using simple words such as "Get up and walk" rather that, "BEHOLD! I CAN MAKE THIS MAN WALK AGAIN! ARISE MY CREATION!!!" He performed his miracles because he loved them. Which has a cool side effect of making many people like you and some people hate you.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: December 31, 2015, 05:50:51 pm »

... the biblical god didn't exactly shy away from flashy miracles, though, which was mostly what was being referenced.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: December 31, 2015, 05:53:09 pm »

Jesus also promised to come back with a sword sticking out of his mouth.

You only think that's symbolism.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: December 31, 2015, 05:55:33 pm »

@Rolepgeek
Theodicy isn’t my main point, though I did mention it.

Okay, yeah, that was poorly explained. My point is that prayer is not a magical helpline. If anything it's more for the psychological benefits of getting things off your chest, so to speak.
If you're praying in God's name, you're basically praying for what God wants to coincide with what you want, which isn't always going to happen. God may want the cancer patient to die, for whatever reason. Which seems like a cop-out seeing as  I just said about Jesus saying your prayers would be answered. Strictly speaking a Christian is praying for God's plan to proceed, because God is good because God is good, so his plan is good as well, and we're praying for good things to happen, so we're praying for his plan to happen. The logic could win a gymnastics competition, but whatever.

It's kinda janky and awkward to explain of three hours of sleep. A fair bit is God of the Gaps stuff like Rolan said.

E: Rolep's point as well is part of it.

I think I got whiplash from that 180.

Look, if you want to claim that you meant the complete opposite thing from what you said in your last post because you worded it badly, I’ll accept that and move on. I won’t believe you, but I’ll pretend like I do because debates like this don’t work if you don’t assume good faith like that.

Okay, so prayer only works if you’re praying for something god was going to do anyway. If you get the same outcome by praying as you do by not praying, prayer does fuck all. Which is fine, I wouldn’t expect god to take input from us anyway, but don’t go telling us that god gives us everything we ask for if we’re being sincere and not lazy.

You don’t get to dodge like that. You told us that Jesus said we get what we want as long as we aren’t being lazy. Which means that you either get 3 or 4; either Jesus outright lied or he never actually said that our prayers would be answered (I think “he was being metaphorical,” is the go-to explanation for that, which isn’t always implausible I guess).
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 521