I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 572357 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Everyone's a Coptic in Their Own Way
« Reply #4800 on: January 18, 2016, 10:12:25 pm »

How meta is asking how meta this has gotten, then?
Not meta enough
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: January 18, 2016, 10:15:19 pm »

How meta is asking how meta this has gotten, then?
Not meta enough

I'm so meta, even this acronym.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: January 18, 2016, 10:16:04 pm »

Only if you start citing Metapedia.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: January 19, 2016, 02:37:53 am »

Free will doesn't exist or not exist, it's just a particular way of looking at how things really are.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: January 19, 2016, 02:45:04 am »

so metta slow
thincake

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4805 on: January 19, 2016, 05:47:21 am »

Putting things in capitals actually makes it carry less weight, if you're trying to convince me, in much the same way that my ability to actually care about someone's opinion is downgraded when they use more than two exclamation points. Two might be an accidental thing, though if it's consistent I also find it suspicious.
I don't really care about winning arguments or convincing people m8, if it carries less weight it's deliberate because I'd rather have fun than get ir8   M A 8 T E

That out of the way. If you trawl the internet, you will find much the same thing, is my point.
You will also find the opposite, you're justifying a lack of standard by looking for a lack of standard

We still consider the internet acceptable to use.
To varying degrees, contrast if I sourced an encyclopedia vs an imgur macro, contrast if I sourced a medical journal vs "onlince doctor"
It's just dishonesty of the highest degree to justify lies with lies

Citations are necessary for a reason. Look at the citations.
That would be the point of my posts

Also, the average between a truth and a lie depends largely on the nature of the subject in question.
Nope, an average of a truth and a lie is a lie, there is no relativity on making falsehoods.

But that's beside the point. We aren't averaging truth and lies. We're averaging one perspective which is warped and another perspective which is warped. Two warped perspectives, if warped in opposite directions, can in fact average out to something fairly close to the truth.
Two perspectives both wrong average out to a perspective that is wrong, there is no room for compromise on what is true, least of all with two warped perspectives. If one people contests that a town was wiped out by a flood and the other contests that is was wiped out by an earthquake, and they compromise and say it was destroyed by a mudslide that was caused by both minor flooding and a small earthquake - when the town was in fact abandoned for economic reasons, you will have arrived from one lie to another and another

Wikipedia is as reliable as the internet in general is. It's not great, but there's pieces that are worth it, and dismissing anything that uses it without followup is a mistake, just as using it without followup is a mistake.
Yahweh Guru m8, there is a long list of bullshit and "Wikipedia is as reliable as the internet in general is" is on there

Wikipedia has never been a reliable source though? I mean, it's great as a general reference, but no-one, ever, has considered acceptable to cite it as a source.
This whole things started off with wikipedia used as a source
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 05:49:23 am by Loud Whispers »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4806 on: January 19, 2016, 06:05:04 am »

Okay. I added a second addendum to Rule 5: Wikipedia is not a reputable source.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: January 19, 2016, 06:38:20 am »

You need to get that chip off your shoulder Vilanat, I mentioned her first as a tribeswoman just to step around calling her the Jewish woman or Jewess, and there are almost no other instances where I give a shit about "cultural sensitivity."
If you think I'm going to change the quotes though just to step around protecting your feelings, I stop there. The Jewish Encyclopedia backs me on this; truth trumps muh feels.

Unless you are the Islamic scholar who pinned Muhammad death on a Jew, i have no quarrel with you.

The only reason i extracted that part of your original post is because i heavily suspected that if there was a claim about Muhammad death not being natural, it would surely be pinned on a Jew, and hey, what a surprise, my suspicion was correct.

As for the validity of the claim ("truth trumps", heh :D) , well, i guess for people who believe in flying horses and talking ants, believing Muhammad was poisoned to death by a Jew 3 years prior to his actual death using a poison not known to science even after 1500 years is not that unreasonable.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: January 19, 2016, 09:06:16 am »

Okay. I added a second addendum to Rule 5: Wikipedia is not a reputable source.

But we can still quote holy texts ?!?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: January 19, 2016, 09:08:54 am »

Putting things in capitals actually makes it carry less weight, if you're trying to convince me, in much the same way that my ability to actually care about someone's opinion is downgraded when they use more than two exclamation points. Two might be an accidental thing, though if it's consistent I also find it suspicious.
I don't really care about winning arguments or convincing people m8, if it carries less weight it's deliberate because I'd rather have fun than get ir8   M A 8 T E

Why do you keep typing like that? Is that some new cultural reference I've missed or are you having a stroke?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: January 19, 2016, 10:32:01 am »

Embrace the way of the LW into your heart and, filled with its magnificence, be blessed.

In other news, a debate on the reliability of Wikipedia is not really within the interests of this thread.

Partly to distract people, partly because I'm curious: How do women believers you know (or are) respond to the story of women being made from man, and for man's delight?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: January 19, 2016, 10:51:42 am »

Varies. Some, unfortunately, accept it as truth, with all the sorts of broadly negative things you'd expect from doing so. They tend to be either rather unhappy, or displaying a happiness that is... brittle, for lack of a better word. Surprising no one with two braincells, that sort of attitude is usually pretty bad for general mental health, ha.

Others pointedly ignore it, just like they do the teaching bit, and other parts that are of such nature. They tend to be more... normal, I guess? Usual range of happiness et al, no really notable consistent behavior patterns insofar as the subject goes.

Many just don't really pay attention to it -- it's not a pointed refusal to acknowledge so much as it just doesn't really come up. For those, it's often internalized to a degree, though, especially if they're still much in the way of churchgoing and whatnot. More deference/submission/etc. towards men than towards women, and so on.

Insofar as my experience with things go, anyway. Will say it's really fucking weird to have ladies twice a guy's age and thrice their experience/etc., like, stepping aside or waiting for 'em to talk first or various shit like that. Screws with my own sensibilities pretty hard. Feels damned unnatural to have the person(s) that should be kinda' heading things or whatev' not, just 'cause there's a dick in the room.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: January 19, 2016, 11:03:53 am »

I knew a woman who said she believed she should be subservient to men because of her religion, but the interesting thing for me was that she gave no sign of it. She just continued doing what any other sane person would do, but paid a sort of lip service to the idea that she was meant to assist men.

I was wondering if that was common, because it seems fairly unsettling to me, and it's also under the radar. They don't behave like it, but they still perpetuate the myth to others.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: January 19, 2016, 11:29:39 am »

The few times I've seen it come up in person, there was an almost unspoken understanding that women would say that the men ruled the household and could tell them what to do, but that it wasn't really the case.  After all, those same people would make jokes in church about how the man better watch out, because if he said the wrong thing the wife would get him when they got home.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4814 on: January 19, 2016, 12:07:20 pm »

Partly to distract people, partly because I'm curious: How do women believers you know (or are) respond to the story of women being made from man, and for man's delight?

And so God created Man in His own image; in the image of God He created them, male and female He created them.

So yeah.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 521