I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582439 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #6030 on: December 29, 2016, 10:01:42 am »

You're (likely) spending money, through a church, to try and convert us.  Besides a few rare and hypocritically-reviled bus ads, very few atheists ever try to do the reverse.  Partially due to lack of resources, but also because most atheists are fine with people being religious if they also accept science.  That's a respect we know not to expect in return. 

Why should we, when Abrahamic religions describe us as the worst kind of fools, and make it clear we're going to a bad place?  Christianity demands evangelism by holding every human hostage...  Evangelism is the kindest response, but it's not respectful.

Though it's also likely you're the type of Christian who thinks hell isn't actually so bad, heaven's just great.  Maybe your church doesn't even evangelize, or you don't support a church.  That's a cool faith I can coexist with and mutually respect, largely *because* of its distance from historical Christianity.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: December 29, 2016, 10:36:03 am »

Partially due to lack of resources, but also because most atheists are fine with people being religious if they also accept science.  That's a respect we know not to expect in return.

Yeah, hard to argue against that. And knowing biology's predilections towards control/domination/survival over others, I could see how religion is how Jared Diamond described it: another tool designed to maintain the kleptocracy.

I would rather focus on integrating graphene into numerous tools to enhance their effectiveness than speak words to people because of some words someone said/wrote. At the end of the day, words don't make water.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6032 on: December 29, 2016, 10:59:00 am »

While I am unsure precisely where the tithe goes (on the admittadly rare occasions I attend), I believe it goes for maintenance and charity work, without any particular emphasis on conversion. I would be more hesitant if it were, for I do not quite like that sort of business. "My" church does not do much missionary business overall, and tends more for an open doors approach. It is one thing that I still am in agreement with.
I suppose conditions are different in America, however. Remarkably different, and I cannot say that I approve. Evangelism seems, on the whole, to be treated as a reason to be dismissive, rude and threatening. And as a way to bolster membership numbers, and to show them off. None of those are particularly worthy, and on second thought, a certain open hostility against such groups is rather understandable. It is irksome, nonetheless, to be lashed by faint association to the sort of people who deserve it, but that does happen.

As for accepting science, it seems like rather the non-question. It is an awful waste of time and effort not to, and it does not honour either man or maker. It is very odd, this stupid tendency to regard the sciences and faith as mutually exclusive enemies, and I have never understood why.
As for conversions, I have met a few people who have tried to take it to themselves to, in their mind, save me from ignorance, and "living a lie", which is no doubt well-meant, but more of an action to their benefit than mine. Suffice to say, no one likes ham-fisted attempts at conversions, that goes hand in hand with belittlement. An open door is a better way. Spiritual well-being is a private matter.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6033 on: December 29, 2016, 11:50:52 am »

Thinking about it, it could easily go the other way; most Christians are fine with people being scientific if they also accept Christ. :P

I feel like I remember that back when Islam was the fount of knowledge in the middle ages, study and scientific experiment was seen as a way to become closer to God by gaining a better understanding of His creation, and through it, God Himself. After all, if God is Truth, then what better way to know God than to learn what is True? I could be misremembering, though.

I've had religious friends (my relationship with one of my best friends was based on religious debate/discussion, for a time) and rather dismissive atheist friends. Atheism in it's most annoying forms believes religious folk to be the worst kind of fools; the less annoying forms of either Abrahamism or Atheism just show a respect and 'you do you'. Obviously both sides would prefer if everyone believed their version of things, but...

Still, not sure why Evangelism is disrespectful as a whole, rather than the specific means of Evangelism being disrespectful for certain churches.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6034 on: December 29, 2016, 11:53:22 am »

Know God's creation, not God, with the emphasis on God being unknowable
Hence Islamic art being sick fractals and not a Michelangelo, because formless spacing out would do the job better than giving the unknowable a form
idk I'm prolly wrong tho

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6035 on: December 29, 2016, 12:06:44 pm »

I think I see what you're saying?  Though of course Islamic art avoids depicting people because of a rule.  IIRC, because it would be hubris to depict people, when only God can create them.
Thinking about it, it could easily go the other way; most Christians are fine with people being scientific if they also accept Christ. :P

I feel like I remember that back when Islam was the fount of knowledge in the middle ages, study and scientific experiment was seen as a way to become closer to God by gaining a better understanding of His creation, and through it, God Himself. After all, if God is Truth, then what better way to know God than to learn what is True? I could be misremembering, though.

I've had religious friends (my relationship with one of my best friends was based on religious debate/discussion, for a time) and rather dismissive atheist friends. Atheism in it's most annoying forms believes religious folk to be the worst kind of fools; the less annoying forms of either Abrahamism or Atheism just show a respect and 'you do you'. Obviously both sides would prefer if everyone believed their version of things, but...

Still, not sure why Evangelism is disrespectful as a whole, rather than the specific means of Evangelism being disrespectful for certain churches.
Well, not to go all "!!SCIENCE!!", but accepting the scientific method as a way to find reliable facts isn't comparable to a faith.  Science isn't the "one true faith", it's just the "one verifiable system".  I mean, it constantly makes mistakes... by design, and grows from them :P

Point is, everyone ought to respect the value of testing and verifiability, even (especially?) if they disagree about various conclusions.  Faith is a whole 'nother thing, which is totally fine as long as it doesn't try to replace rationality in decisions that actually matter.

Historically that has been a problem, and I'm not convinced that faith can be safely compartmentalized like many people do.  But what do I know?  Many people do that, including brilliant scientists, and seem to get on just fine.

As for evangelism, I find most of it condescending.  Though naturally, personal conversations about faith tend to be more respectful than mass-targeted ads like signs!  Not always, but often.
Missionary aid strikes me as deeply dishonest recruiting...  Certainly no respect there.  But maybe I'm just being bitter.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6036 on: December 29, 2016, 12:51:03 pm »

Know God's creation, not God, with the emphasis on God being unknowable
Hence Islamic art being sick fractals and not a Michelangelo, because formless spacing out would do the job better than giving the unknowable a form
idk I'm prolly wrong tho
It's probably far more nuanced than how I'm describing given it was around 600+ years of cultural development as a religion matured. :/

@Rolan7: I mean, you could argue that it requires faith to believe that science will give us answers to everything, but I think the main point I was trying to get at got across :P Rationality and faith don't have to be opposites, though; I have faith in other people, for example. Most people can tell that sort of thing. Sometimes they'll abuse it. Most of the time, they don't. We have a tendency to return trust placed in us. Reciprocative behavior. I think as long as people don't actively go against logic and reason, that religion tends to have positive effects, overall. Improves mental health, for one thing (there have been studies on the matter; a fair number of people do have philosophical/spiritual needs, turns out).

I think for missionary work, what you have to remember is that to people who believe, they're saving people's lives and their souls at the same time. You think of it as recruiting, but really? If it gets people to go help other people, what does it matter that they try to bring Jesus along? Who cares if the person doing charity work is doing it for the warm fuzzies, because it's the right thing to do even though they get zero personal satisfaction out of it, not even for the fact of doing the right thing, because God says to help the poor, or because they want to convert people in the process? The alternative to giving aid is not giving aid. Demanding that they give people aid for the reasons you think they should is rather...conceited. I understand that's not what you're doing, I'm just pointing out that charity is charity, don't matter what reason, people are being helped, and that's the point, in the end.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6037 on: December 29, 2016, 01:12:48 pm »

As an aside, it's horrifying trying to figure out who is Rolan and who is Rolepgeek for some reason. Now I know what it was like for people trying to figure out who is LW and who is LSP

As for charitable works funded by religious missions, as long as the charitable work is the primary focus of the mission it's good in my books. I don't like the ones where they withhold goodwill to nonbelievers or require them to partake in their services in exchange for aid

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6038 on: December 29, 2016, 01:14:14 pm »

As an aside, it's horrifying trying to figure out who is Rolan
Rolan was one of Charlemagne's lieutenants. It's also spelled Roland, Roldan, Hruodland, and Orlando
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6039 on: December 29, 2016, 01:26:35 pm »

We also wielded Durandal.
And, huh!  I don't mind being confused with Rolepgeek, though I didn't think we looked that similar :P  Neither of us have changed our avatars too recently (me most recently, probably).  I've enabled signature images, though, which honestly helps a bit...  I often note my posts by the flags.
She/they

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6040 on: December 29, 2016, 05:25:35 pm »

As an aside, it's horrifying trying to figure out who is Rolan and who is Rolepgeek for some reason. Now I know what it was like for people trying to figure out who is LW and who is LSP

As for charitable works funded by religious missions, as long as the charitable work is the primary focus of the mission it's good in my books. I don't like the ones where they withhold goodwill to nonbelievers or require them to partake in their services in exchange for aid
It gets worse when people use Rol as shorthand for Rolan and I get real confused.

But yeah those people are kinda assholes. Although it reminds me of the outcry at PETA early on in the water crisis in Flynt, or when a city conducted a study about homeless people (and only gave them half of them the money or whatever), and the response to that, which, summed up, was "So acknowledging the problem without entirely fixing it makes you responsible? They could have done nothing to help, even conditionally, and you wouldn't be berating them. What the fuck, people?"
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6041 on: December 29, 2016, 05:50:25 pm »

By the same logic, I might as well say that everyone deserves to die because the Sun is purple. I can't let people base any sort of philosophy or eschatology on things that are verifiably incorrect, that's morally wrong.

I... What? No, I think you missed my point. How is it even at all similar? If someone wants to believe that the riddle is sign of extraterrestrial life and wants to solve it, how is that the same as believing everyone should die because they disagree on the color of the sun?

I do not think this is at all the same logic.

I meant "let people have their fun" in the context of said "fun" being not even wrong, i.e. being based on statements that, as part of their basic premise, includes something completely wrong.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6042 on: December 30, 2016, 06:20:46 am »

Thanks to Fallen London, I find myself in a situation where I'm casually attempting to justify, to my friends, the act of selling one's soul to devils.  They're very nice devils.  There's a treaty.
It seems to operate on Supernatural logic, where the soul is basically a conscience...  and holds memories, while the brain also holds memories.  So when a soul is returned (in Supernatural and presumably in Fallen London) you essentially re-enter your body and remember everything it did in your absence.

Inevitable edit:  Specifically, I'm justifying the Sunless Sea option to simply offer your soul to a lonely deviless in exile.  She only wants company (at least, that's what she says).  She promises that when "you" drown, you'll actually stay with her in pleasant company.  There's an implication that she would set you free and replace you if/when said company became tiresome, but she's a devil.  In exile.  It's not even a promise.

But maybe that form of immortality would be preferable to the unknown, at least for a while?  The main danger would be boredom, a problem she is equally eager to confront day-by-day.
One of my theories of souls(I speculate about most things...) is that your "real" self is the mind and body and that the soul is basically a safety-net that wraps around the person and absorbs various life-experiences, such as thoughts, memories, behaviours, interactions with others... and when you die the soul moves on with al this accumulated familiarity with your person and represents you as a sort of legacy. This, is, of course, pretty much the opposite of the concept that you are using but it is fun to speculate. If you lost it then it would be less developed than if it had stuck around until your kicked the bucket. Selling it would put your legacy under someone else's control, whether that means harvesting it for information, conscripting it into an army, using it as clothing... is no longer something that would go according to your wishes. Of course the really fun thing would be to absorb it and use it as glue to stop your mortal self from dispersing. This makes for a fun theory of immortality with the downside of making your otherwise-immaterial soul vulnerable to mortal interaction, but I for one would would welcome the chance at personal immortality at the cost of the certainty of a perpetual representation for my self that no longer exists... And if people's souls really do persist as their full, living self then why are they not constantly messing with us. I really don't see that the median soul would fail to desire to return and meddle in mortal affairs, and if they have any agency at all then surely the massive bulk of souls would be able to petition for a measurable effect on their old haunts...

But to address your problem, if your soul is your real self, and it is on an island, then the person who continues their adventure is not you. If you are happy to live on the island, then you should be willing to quit the game when you make the deal, otherwise it seems that your character is not ready to retire to a life on some remote island while their double goes off to do all the fun stuff. To be fair, there is no reason not to satisfy idle curiosity, and if your double can set some of your affairs in order then that is all the better. So you do not need to quit the game, but you should be at a point where such is acceptable, otherwise you would be dishonest with your character's wishes...

I do believe that it is possible to worry too much, and eventally stare oneself blind, as it were, on scripture and which one is precisely the right one. There are many paths to God (in whichever form it may be). Further, scripture is made and written by men. It is an aid, but cannot be followed to the letter, even though that would be a comfortable way to handle matters. Be it religious congragations trying and wanting to live by the very letter of unapplicable ancient Old Testament law, or people who are against scripture but would still like the people appointed as opponents to stick perfectly to it to keep their conflicts all pleasantly absolute and black and white, it is not a good choice.

Then, there is the matter of who to follow. Many claim that there is (or should be, for tidiness' sake) only one true choice. I disagree. I am quids in on Christ, myself. That is mostly because that I was I was born in and raised with. It is familiar, and I like it because it is mine, so to speak. If I were born elsewhere, I would likely be the same dabbling follower of the faith given to me. What matters is that I try to become, and be, a good and decent chap, and I would like to think that would be true no matter which particular path of ink I was invited to follow. Christ is one way of many. It is not a particularly difficult thing.

The matter of our maker and our being is not one of picking and comparing holiday destinations in adverts and leaflets. Aspire to be a good person, and to die on good terms with your life. That is what matters, and you need not worry about having chosen the "wrong" package tour. Unless it is a path of cruelty or spite that hampers you from doing good to your fellow men, the particulars of it will not matter. Indeed, not choosing a particular path of faith, in a religious context, is a valid choice. You do not, strictly speaking, need scripture or ritual to be a good person, and to honour your maker. I doubt it matters if you even believe that your maker is real, it matters so little next to the reality of how you live and who you are. Try to do good, try to be good, and live the best life that you can. It will all be well.
1: There are too many paths to god. Cannibalism, murder, mutilation of children, torture, these have all been religious practises that people have been born into a culture of and they do not seem compatible with your good. Just look at what happens in the old testament when people get in the way of divine edict. I have heard that some of the most revered examples of a virtuous life involved arbitrary conquest and massive abuses of civilians(my contemporary sensibility want to use the term "heretically malevolent"...). Religion's problem in this respect is that it has nothing to do with being goodly, all it cares about is being godly. There are some forces compelling godly to be goodly, an openly malevolent church tends not to do well, but godly remains very arbitrary from a mortal perspective. Ultimately, either you understand god, in which case you should only support it if it supports your own sense of morality, or you do not, in which case you should support your own sense of morality in case this god that you don't understand is not actually something whose goals are tolerable to you. So from my perspective, religion is irrelevant to virtue, there is no point associating the two.

2: But christ is not a path to goodness. Treating others as I wish to be treated would earn me nothing but hostility as I appear to be too alien to my would-be peers for such a philosophy to work. Turning the other cheek does not resolve the inherent hostility within society. Sharing a single loaf and fish with a thousand results in a thousand hungry people, doing so is just wasting the limited resources, perhaps it could have been used to gain an audience with an employer who would feed a thousand in exchange for services? A few days of torture is not pleasant, but it is well worth it in exchange for a certain reward of infinite value. Certainly it is a means of spreading your message when there are few alternatives, but too much faith in your ideal blinds you to its flaws and prevents it from being improved. Jesus constantly endorsed faith, "believe in yourself and you can do anything!"... Faith cannot compete morally with understanding and faith is, by definition, ignorant... If you wish to help someone, understand their circumstances lest you harm or insult them. If you encounter conflict, seek to understand the causes and spread knowledge of them. If your situation is desperate, seek a path that ends the desperation and seek to know yourself so that you do not succumb to panic. If you believe that your message must be shared, then share it as best you know, and be mindful, as you learn more, that your message continues to seem worthy.

Fundamentally there is a terrible flaw in the Jesus narrative. Jesus was not human, Jesus had certainty of the divine, Jesus had faith in a god that was personally known, that is not the human condition in which religious matters are inherently mysterious. It is like knowingly gambling on a rigged match and saying that your victims should have had better judgement. Jesus cannot serve as a guide or example any more than god can.

3: As I already addressed, The Maker is irrelevant. It is, as an absolute truth, the product of what practically amounts to random chance. Every tiny little facet of reality is also a product of this same entity. This entity does not possess a will or desire or plan nor anything else that would be associated with a god that can be worshipped in any meaningful way. Also, everything is certain, not necessarily predictable, but the idea of "a new world comes into being every time a decision/random-event occurs" is objectively invalid as there is only ever one possible outcome to any scenario(although there just randomly being a whole lot of worlds that are just minor variations of one another is entirely plausible, it is just the cause that isn't viable). This all makes it pretty clear that The Maker is not as responsible for our natures as random inevitability is and it is itself subject to that same master. Given that there is something both higher in status and closer in presence it is obvious that The Maker, while possibly being worthy of respect for other things, is not a big deal simple for being one of the step involved in our making...

On a similar note, I often hear about free will as a gift. Between peer-pressure, chemical contamination, brain-damage, insanity, hormones, sleep, oppressive environs, addictions, physiological needs, panic, advertising with horrific amounts of money and expertise supporting it, patriotism and other born affiliations, various "instincts"... I find myself compelled to seek a refund...

I believe that religion obscures the path to being a good person. It provides an arbitrary path to goodness. Religions almost always focus upon the state to attain at death, to be without unresolved sin, to attain enlightenment, to possess positive karma... I see these as harmful because thy are unsubstantiated and could be misleading. My religion feels that any possible afterlife is a mystery, and all that we can do to prepare is to strengthen our self-identity so that what little we retain will be most prepared for a completely alien experience. Other religions will tell you to rely upon another party, or to seek alignment to a concept, or to bind your self-identity to the well-being of others, and all of these seem harmful to my perception. I have heard many stories of christians causing harm in their efforts to aid others. I preach that if wisdom does not guide one to goodness, then one requires more wisdom, and that goodness without wisdom is too inept to consistently achieve goodness.

... Does paetheist work? To aggressively seek religion by confronting all comers and hoping that some form of established doctrine can withstand your assault.

Humbug. Religion in general is intellectually dishonest, we still let them carry on with it.
I note that human sacrifice has declines significantly in recent history... So long as religions lay no claim to morality or authority I see little harm in them, a bit of fantasy can do a lot for morale. But once they start saying that they need to mutilate children or slaughter animals or regulate laws in some specific way and back up their claims with "because that's what god wants" and god refuses to defend these claims then I will persist in believing that religions are hostile to civility. And let's not even get started on how easy it is to use religion to gather support for outright villainy...

Most philosophy which believes in truth believes itself to be true, by it's nature (if it didn't, people wouldn't hold the philosophy).

I mean, like, look at, say, absurdism, solipsism, epicureanism, nihilism, empiricism, rationality (in terms of the philosophy), egoism, platonic forms...these are all (mostly) separate philosophies, and I'm not sure how much you can say that they're based on solid reasoning and science whereas religion is all hocus pocus bollox that no one of any intellectual integrity would believe. Religion is a way of explaining and viewing the world, which originated as an attempt to explain the unexplainable. Which is why I'm guessing you think of it as intellectually dishonest; we now have science which does that, for much of the things religion previously did. And yet, religion is still a way to find meaning in the world, much like philosophy is a way of finding meaning (or a lack thereof) in the world.

Theology and philosophy are on the same level of scientific merit; it's difficult if not impossible to find a way to bridge the is/ought barrier, after all.
Is:
 It is perceived that we act.
 Action, even the lack of such, has consequence.
 Consequence creates agency.
 The self desires the self.
Ought:
 The self should have/seek control.(more of an intellectual+self control really, but I am trying to keep this brief...)
 Cooperate, endure, preserve variety, and seek wisdom!

Philosophy is exploration, religion is explanation. Philosophy is honest about its origins and generally open to modification through established methodology, and people typically won't burn you at the stake for obstinately insisting that your version is better than theirs... Religion generally resists analysis and criticism because its origins are inaccessible and it is very sensitive about threats(Especially the monotheisms, polytheisms seem to be more inclined towards religious tolerance...). Religion is fundamentally flawed because it relies too much on faith. Most everyone knows that faith needs some form of consistent observation to support it. You don't blindly trust the used-car salesman, or the Nigerian prince, or the candy-donating windowless panel-van. Intellectually you know that, in theory, their could be completely legitimate, but you appreciate that no matter how trustworthy and virtuous they seem when they speak to you, you really ought to investigate their claims through alternate sources. Rationalisation is not required to find flaw in faith, people already have faith that pure faith alone is insufficient to make important decisions well. People just arbitrarily give religion a free pass because surely no god would publish a big-old load of public relations fluff and there is certainly no reason that your friends and family would blindly adhere to the doctrine that they already devoted their entire lives to back when they were in your situation and whose absence would invalidate their- well, aspects of nearly every facet of their existence from lost opportunities to lost friends to enduring difficult relationships and, well, way too much to summarise...
Religion is dishonest because it expects more faith from less presence. Give my claims as much faith as God's. We are both mysterious texts from beyond your experience that may or may not be watching you.

Science is not a thing like that. It is just a methodology, and to a lesser extent the product of that methodology. Science has no truth aside from "this seems reliable". But Science is so good that some parts of it are known to be false but they are still in use because they work well enough for most purposes. Fundamentally, religion makes claims that it cannot support, science doesn't really make claims. Comparing the two is kind of silly. Philosophy to me is a game, its virtue is that you don't need to devote yourself to it any more than you agree with its reasoning, religion doesn't really give you any reasoning at all and insufficient devotion can be difficult when confronted with peer pressure, or lynch mobs...

While I am unsure precisely where the tithe goes (on the admittadly rare occasions I attend), I believe it goes for maintenance and charity work
I am uncomfortable with charity work associated with religion. I do not really see a difference between a religion's name on a charity and a company's name at a sports event. I regard public acts of a religion as comparable to actually using a company product in full display of the audience. It may seem like a small and natural thing for a minister to oversee an orphanage, and to say grace at every meal, and to hold communal means, but the potential to influence the religious views of the orphans should not be discounted... I would regard it as innocent on behalf of the minister, they are just living by their own tenets, but the close association has an effect regardless.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6043 on: December 30, 2016, 10:35:32 am »

But to address your problem, if your soul is your real self, and it is on an island, then the person who continues their adventure is not you. If you are happy to live on the island, then you should be willing to quit the game when you make the deal, otherwise it seems that your character is not ready to retire to a life on some remote island while their double goes off to do all the fun stuff. To be fair, there is no reason not to satisfy idle curiosity, and if your double can set some of your affairs in order then that is all the better. So you do not need to quit the game, but you should be at a point where such is acceptable, otherwise you would be dishonest with your character's wishes...
Thanks for the thoughts, and I agree with that conclusion.  That character was essentially retiring in safety, with the devil he knew, rather than risk drowning at see.  His body continued on mechanically without him.  It would be neat if the player didn't get to follow that body anymore, having its final fate randomly chosen.  Instead, that soulless character is doing very well, even falling in love and raising a son...  which just raises more questions.  Maybe the love is faked, he's just fulfilling a remembered goal of building a legacy.

Like a cooperative golem (the game does also have golems too, heh.  The buggiest of which act as if they have souls).
She/they

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: December 30, 2016, 11:51:41 am »

Religion only resists analysis so far as the people in it do. By which I mean that theology is the analysis of religion. And that's been going on for hundreds and hundreds of years. No, it's not analysis as you would typically think of it, but it definitely still exists.

Also; the reason people give religion 'a free pass' is because they were taught this by their family, and people trust their family. Also because when people survive really extraordinary things, it becomes rather simple to attribute that to god. It seems like you're saying they're stupid to trust family and try to find meaning in life instead of allowing themselves to fall into a spiral of despair. And yes, I know people who have told me that if they didn't think Jesus existed they would see no meaning in life, because they've suffered such tremendous trauma.

And actually, Jesus was a pretty cool dude, all things considered. Turn the other cheek helps avoid blood feuds and continuous revenge, treating others how you want to be treated is called cooperating in the Prisoner's Dilemma, and a lot of the stuff he talks about are basically means for society to function more effectively if everyone does it. You're correct, if you're the only who does it, you're going to suffer more. Turns out that's maybe why Christianity has such a big martyrdom/persecution fetish, because that was the only way to get it started.

Honestly can't tell what you're trying to get at with gambling metaphor. :/

There are a lot of assumptions being made about The Maker, there. Also about quantum mechanics and how the many worlds hypothesis works. As for free will: You mean you're affected by people other than yourself in decision-making? That's still free will. Free will is the ability to choose within the parameters you have available to you. Free will is the ability of the conscious mind to make decisions, rather than the unconscious mind (which loves to take over decision making from the PR part of the brain).

Lastly, charity is good, period. If religion makes people more likely to do charity work, then I don't see much of a problem with the charity taking care of orphans. You see the alternative as 'charity without religion'. When the alternative is 'no charity at all', I'll take the religion every time.

Regarding philosophy: When irrational numbers were discovered, the guy who discovered them in ancient greek society was thrown over a boat by the followers of Pythagoras for making his claim. Stalinists during the Cold War, or McCarthyists during the Cold War, would do plenty of stuff to someone who obstinately persisted in saying that the ideology which wasn't the prevailing one was wrong. Religion is not unique in this aspect. It is a facet of humanity, as all else is, and like all of humanity, contains the good and the bad. I seek to preserve what is good, and allow what is wrong to gutter out.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 521