I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 580361 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #7485 on: August 15, 2023, 10:29:59 am »

Perhaps being a source of some form of 'truth' makes one a God? Worship is probably a big part too.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7486 on: August 15, 2023, 12:10:56 pm »

That applies to televangelists.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7487 on: August 15, 2023, 12:19:42 pm »

That applies to televangelists.

Fair point, though I'd note that the worship is at least ostensibly not directed at the televangelist.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7488 on: August 15, 2023, 12:30:20 pm »

I'm not sure if I agree with that definition, if I want to be worshiped and convince people to do so, does that make me a god? What if I have super powers? I still don't think I'm a god there, I think that'd just make me an asshole.
If you're on the usual power attributed to even e.g Greek gods... well why not? You'd be a god for all intents and purposes, if most likely a bad one.

Am I a god for a potted plant, then?

Sure, I decide its environment, its nutrition, and many other things. But there is nothing divine or supernatural in my control. Neither it is unlimited.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #7489 on: August 15, 2023, 03:53:08 pm »

There's nothing supernatural in anything, because if it existed then it would be natural.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7490 on: August 15, 2023, 03:58:01 pm »

There's nothing supernatural in anything, because if it existed then it would be natural.

I don't find this a impediment to coming up with a definition of god that includes that it must be supernatural.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7491 on: August 15, 2023, 04:06:37 pm »

Another definition for supernatural that leaves room for the supernatural to exist might be: Something that defies the rules by which everything else exists.  If science has no explanation for it, then it is supernatural (unless some future, yet to be theorized science can explain it, then it just appears supernatural and fools us for now).

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #7492 on: August 15, 2023, 04:14:10 pm »

If it defies the rules by which everything else works, then it still follows its own rules which can be learned and reconciled with the other rules.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7493 on: August 15, 2023, 05:20:20 pm »

Supernatural, then, in the sense that it is outside it.

Coming from without or before our universe. By that logic God would be supernatural, but Superman would not.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7494 on: August 15, 2023, 06:36:00 pm »

Eehh... that probably depends on the superman. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some incarnation of it or another that preempted their universe's existence, somehow.

Without is something of a bad joke to comic book characters, though. Extrauniversal is something of a "big whoop" to those critters.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7495 on: August 15, 2023, 07:12:08 pm »

I'm not sure if I agree with that definition, if I want to be worshiped and convince people to do so, does that make me a god? What if I have super powers? I still don't think I'm a god there, I think that'd just make me an asshole.
If you're on the usual power attributed to even e.g Greek gods... well why not? You'd be a god for all intents and purposes, if most likely a bad one.

Am I a god for a potted plant, then?

Sure, I decide its environment, its nutrition, and many other things. But there is nothing divine or supernatural in my control. Neither it is unlimited.
If the plant was sapient and you wanted to be worshiped by it, yes by my definition.

The Greeks, iirc, did not really have the same split of natural/supernatural as we do. Neither were their gods unlimited in power. And yet we call them gods.

This definition causes odd results but it's the only logical one to me honestly.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 07:13:41 pm by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7496 on: August 15, 2023, 09:47:22 pm »

Nah.

Both my plant and myself are linear. We sprout, we grow, we die.
Plus, my plant might overlive me, as maybe a crack in the ceiling brings it enough water to survive as I rot on the floor next to it.
Or less morbidly, a neighbor adopts it when I go to the hospital to die like a mature person.

God exists outside all that.

My biggest gripe is that stupid limited humans (that is ALL of us, by the way) try to bring God down to our level.  We place weird artificial restraints upon God because we want to feel we've got some control & understanding. But we do not.

The Joy of Christianity is that we have a Benevolent God. For it could be equally true that we have an Indifferent God, that couldn't care less if we're happy.

Thankfully, since God is so much bigger than us, we can also say whatever we want (such that Jesus has boobies) and God does not care. I like to think that this actually pleases God slightly, since it is a fight against the Pharisees that have taken over Christianity, just as they took over Judaism.

Possibly related video

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7497 on: August 15, 2023, 09:53:30 pm »

You do have an indifferent god though. A benevolent parent doesn’t let their children suffer when it’s clear they’re incapable of looking after themselves, or indeed learning to do so.

Edit: If you take the current state of the world as an example of benevolence, I would very much never want to see what indifference would be like, wowzers.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 10:12:30 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7498 on: August 15, 2023, 10:13:51 pm »

Nah.

Both my plant and myself are linear. We sprout, we grow, we die.
Plus, my plant might overlive me, as maybe a crack in the ceiling brings it enough water to survive as I rot on the floor next to it.
Or less morbidly, a neighbor adopts it when I go to the hospital to die like a mature person.

God exists outside all that.

My biggest gripe is that stupid limited humans (that is ALL of us, by the way) try to bring God down to our level.  We place weird artificial restraints upon God because we want to feel we've got some control & understanding. But we do not.

The Joy of Christianity is that we have a Benevolent God. For it could be equally true that we have an Indifferent God, that couldn't care less if we're happy.

Thankfully, since God is so much bigger than us, we can also say whatever we want (such that Jesus has boobies) and God does not care. I like to think that this actually pleases God slightly, since it is a fight against the Pharisees that have taken over Christianity, just as they took over Judaism.

Possibly related video
He said "a" god. Not "the" God. Read the previous conversation. I agree with you on this but the conversation moved on from Christianity.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7499 on: August 15, 2023, 10:18:31 pm »

Lesser gods are blasphemy, so I don't have to care about them.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 521