Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Megaproject idea: Gem window animation  (Read 15250 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Megaproject idea: Gem window animation
« on: January 22, 2015, 11:53:34 am »

In theory we can build a 3-frame animation, by setting up lots of gem windows in correct order.

For example, a 3-frame gif like this:

It requires 950x3=2850 gems.

Cropped version(no black gems so I changed background as well):

It requires 476x3=1428 gems.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject idea: Gem window animation
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 12:02:24 pm »

that would be a truly amazing accomplishment.  IIRC, the order of animation in multi-gem gem windows is based on the order the gems were mined, not the order they were put into the window, so you would have to mine them in the right order and somehow keep track of that.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 12:07:16 pm »

How does that track with imported Gems?
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 12:20:04 pm »

that would be a truly amazing accomplishment.  IIRC, the order of animation in multi-gem gem windows is based on the order the gems were mined, not the order they were put into the window, so you would have to mine them in the right order and somehow keep track of that.

It'd be time consuming, but the best way to do it would probably be to mine three gems in the needed order, make the window, then mine some more. The real question is, do they sync up automatically, or will two gem windows built with the same gems mined in the same order need to be built at the same time to flash in sync?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 01:35:48 pm »

that would be a truly amazing accomplishment.  IIRC, the order of animation in multi-gem gem windows is based on the order the gems were mined, not the order they were put into the window

No, order cut.  Science is here:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76685.0

I could have sworn it was based on order installed when I had last experimented with these -- but that was years ago and I could have gotten it wrong.  I have no reason to believe the folks in that other thread have bad information, so go with that.

Also, seems easy enough to just test by building and disassembling and re-building a window.  If the order changes when you rebuild it differently, it is build order.  If not, it is cut order and the 2011 thread is still valid.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 05:08:25 pm »

Do we have a means of knowing what color what gems are? I mean, we can always use different gems of the same color to organize frames.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 07:02:20 pm »

What?
Well, that is a problem.

No, order cut.  Science is here:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76685.0
Ah, that is better. So maybe one window at a time.

Do we have a means of knowing what color what gems are? I mean, we can always use different gems of the same color to organize frames.

There are some wiki pages. But I guess it is hard to obtain all 15 colors (16 minus black), but usually you don't need all colors.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Stone
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Gem
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Color
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:06:55 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 07:17:14 pm »

I could have sworn it was based on order installed when I had last experimented with these -- but that was years ago and I could have gotten it wrong.  I have no reason to believe the folks in that other thread have bad information, so go with that.

Also, seems easy enough to just test by building and disassembling and re-building a window.  If the order changes when you rebuild it differently, it is build order.  If not, it is cut order and the 2011 thread is still valid.

I happen to have a save.
So let me do a quick !!science!!.

Edit*

fact 1:
The order is same as the building material order, which is what you see when you "t" the building.

fact 2:
The order I select the material doesn't matter.

The gems I used to test are all imported from the caravan.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:22:33 pm by utunnels »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 07:27:08 pm »

Little heads-up for inspiration:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2668-gemwindowspulsar

User ancistrus has already made a neat animation from gem windows.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 07:31:47 pm »

Little heads-up for inspiration:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2668-gemwindowspulsar

User ancistrus has already made a neat animation from gem windows.
Ah, that is impressive.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 12:36:31 am »

Can you use cut gems made from layer stones for gem windows? That'd probably make it much easier to get enough grays, at least.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 12:02:28 pm »

Can you use cut gems made from layer stones for gem windows? That'd probably make it much easier to get enough grays, at least.

Yeah.
Actually I found a problem with stones. It seems impossible to find dark gray colored stones, because gem windows will always have bright color.
For example, marble is white and granite is supposed to be light gray. But actually they are both white when used as gem window materials.
I thought gabbro is dark gray, but it turned out to be light gray.

Any solutions?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 12:09:48 pm by utunnels »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 01:12:52 pm »

I just checked in the Inorganic_Stone_Gem raw. There are no gems that have [DISPLAY_COLOR:0:0:1] (Dark grey).

The only item in Inorganic_Stone_Mineral with that color tag is Slade.

To get dark grey, you WILL have to resort to modding.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 01:19:57 pm »

And at that point, you might as well use black.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 01:40:22 pm »

You need three greyscale shades, you might as well make them White, Light Grey, and Black.

Is there a black, though?  I'm not seeing it, if so.  It looks like Obsidian should display as dark grey [0:7:0] but I dont see anything that should display as black [0:?:0]

And from what you're saying, stone display color does not match cut gem color?  maybe they all get their brightness clicked up to 1?

If that is the case, you'll have a hard time making Brown, also.
Pages: [1] 2 3