Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DOSbox help for a dummy: How on earth do I work this thing?  (Read 1823 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
DOSbox help for a dummy: How on earth do I work this thing?
« on: January 22, 2015, 11:54:12 pm »

So I saw a video on youtube about a game called Stonekeep, and I REALLY wanted to try it out... Problem: I have no money to spend at the moment, so I have to download it. And what happens when I try to run stuff? A big warning message saying it can't be run on a 64-bit processor. So me being the guy who doesn't give up, I searched online for a way to solve this... And my answer came to me in a brown box icon that holds the void from hell behind it.

So I fiddled around with it for awhile, using random online stuff I found and I finally got to a point today after fiddling with this thing all day yesterday and today where it gets me to where I have the file opened up on DOSbox where I need to be, and when I use the command "sk" which is SUPPSOED to run it, I get the copyright stuff and then it cuts to a new screen and says "You need a CD to run this". Well, sadly, I don't OWN a physical copy of the disk and I won't be getting one until I get another job.

Luckly, powerISO is something I had on here since I got this and I began to mount the CD ISO I got after mounting the virtual drive, it comes up and refuses to mount it as a CD. Ok, I'll deal with that open as it is... I try running it again and... Failure... I unmount everything and try from scratch, meaning I mount the virtual drive, I mount the game folder, and... Wait, its looking in drive D:\ !?!? Argh!

<insert a good ten minutes of screaming and yelling at my laptop>

Anyway... I'm having a BIG problem with figuring this out and I would love a hand in figuring this out. I may be a networking student, but I have no idea how to run cmd or anything like that
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: DOSbox help for a dummy: How on earth do I work this thing?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 05:41:30 am »

Dosbox has built-in ISO support: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/MOUNT#Windows
IMGMOUNT D C:\Images\MyImage.iso -t iso
The D is the letter to mount as, then the full path to the iso on your pc (probably in quotes if it's got spaces), then "-t iso" to say it's an iso image.

Note that this only mounts the image to a letter inside dosbox, not the host pc, so it doesn't matter if D: is already a drive in your host pc.

EDIT2: Or there's always this version (gog.com) which is already compatible with a modern pc.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:03:31 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 12:46:02 pm »

http://www.sierrahelp.com/Utilities/Emulators/DOSBox/DOSBoxGuide-Mount.html

"NOTE 1: You might experience problems with some CD games. There are different levels of support that you can use with DOSBox by adding one of the following parameter at the end of your mount command (after the -t cdrom parameter):

-usecd 0 (SDL-cdrom support. Change the 0 in -usecd 0 to the number of your cdrom drive reported by mount -cd)

-ioctl (Ioctl cdrom support)

-aspi (ASPI cdrom support)

Try basic support first. Second in line is SDL-support and finally IOCTL/ASPI support. IOCTL support is for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 or Linux.

NOTE 2: Some games will look for disk labels. You can assign a label by adding the -label parameter to the end of the mount command. So "mount a c:\floppy -t floppy -label disk1" would mount a folder on the C: drive named "floppy" as a floppy disk in DOSBox that has the disk label of "DISK1"

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 09:22:53 pm »

http://www.sierrahelp.com/Utilities/Emulators/DOSBox/DOSBoxGuide-Mount.html

"NOTE 1: You might experience problems with some CD games. There are different levels of support that you can use with DOSBox by adding one of the following parameter at the end of your mount command (after the -t cdrom parameter):

-usecd 0 (SDL-cdrom support. Change the 0 in -usecd 0 to the number of your cdrom drive reported by mount -cd)

-ioctl (Ioctl cdrom support)

-aspi (ASPI cdrom support)

Try basic support first. Second in line is SDL-support and finally IOCTL/ASPI support. IOCTL support is for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 or Linux.

NOTE 2: Some games will look for disk labels. You can assign a label by adding the -label parameter to the end of the mount command. So "mount a c:\floppy -t floppy -label disk1" would mount a folder on the C: drive named "floppy" as a floppy disk in DOSBox that has the disk label of "DISK1"

Got it working, but I ended up using the virutal drive to become drive D and it worked... Somehow... Thanks for the suggestions, though I did try your suggestions first, it didn't work :( Thank you all regardless!

Now if I can figure out how to put subtitles on...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 07:44:18 pm »

DOSBoxed this game a couple of months ago, and can confirm it doesn't need any special CDRom settings.

Great game, one I remembered fondly from childhood. :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.