Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Religious services as Squads - Also adv mode paladins  (Read 766 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Religious services as Squads - Also adv mode paladins
« on: January 23, 2015, 12:37:22 am »

For the Temple arc, I'd really like to see a governmental position like "General" be the "High whatever" and that various positions in the religions be a form of nobility.  If there could be various lower positions for presenting religious activities, like "Neophyte", "Acolyte" and "Priest", then religious areas could become "training areas" for upping religious devotion and skills like observation, negotiation and whatever is used to calm down upset dwarves.  Whether each Deity's sphere would be represented with a special ability or not, would be interesting as well - it might make adventurer mode more interesting if by choosing to be dedicated to one deity or another results in eventually getting a new skill in their "x" menu.  Maybe skill it up using a new skill: "Devotion".  Quests given by priests would give "Devotion" as well as striking up a (usually one sided) conversation with your deity.  Heck, the deity could intervene during a sleep period to "talk" to your character and give them specific instructions/goals too, whenever they had built up enough "devotion" in that particular deity's service.

L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Religious services as Squads - Also adv mode paladins
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 12:47:27 pm »

In order for there to be a hierarchy of religious dwarves then religion would have to be fleshed out alot more in order to justify having 4-6 of your dwarves in those roles who otherwise could do work. Once religion was fleshed out more though I agree this could be a good idea especially in start-scenarios where the fort is designed to be one big temple or whatever.

With regards to the whole paladin thing that would be better discussed in one of the many magic threads. I do think it would be a good addition though.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Religious services as Squads - Also adv mode paladins
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 08:28:10 pm »

In order for there to be a hierarchy of religious dwarves then religion would have to be fleshed out alot more in order to justify having 4-6 of your dwarves in those roles who otherwise could do work. Once religion was fleshed out more though I agree this could be a good idea especially in start-scenarios where the fort is designed to be one big temple or whatever.

With regards to the whole paladin thing that would be better discussed in one of the many magic threads. I do think it would be a good addition though.

I suppose religions could be treated as types of civs.  The adventurer could be more famous with one religion than with another, for instance.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii