Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chatGPT and Dwarf Fortress: prompt ideas / suggestions  (Read 1849 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
chatGPT and Dwarf Fortress: prompt ideas / suggestions
« on: February 17, 2023, 01:48:43 pm »

hey. AI is powerful. here are some of my early attempts at provoking the all-knowing chatGPT to provide me with creative ideas for Dwarf Fortress challenges.

suggest unique challenges for dwarf fortress
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was amazed by how coherent the responses are, without repetition. nothing super new or interesting challenge-wise, however, except perhaps the 'blind' challenge.. so I prompted further:

please provide me with more unique challenges for dwarf fortress

here you can see the limits of AI: repetition due to uncreative prompts. you really need to provoke the beast with different input material to get something interesting.

please provide me with challenge goals for dwarf fortress

Now this was good. I was surprised by how the specific numerical goals were fairly appropriate for the given time-frames. truly powerful technology my god

please provide me with more specific numerical challenge goals for dwarf fortress

now we're talking! These are genuine challenges. I particularly like the '10,000' units goal after 5 years.

please provide me with ideas for megaconstructions in dwarf fortress

alright, alright, I could see how this would be useful for someone new to megaconstructions. nothing super interesting however. chatGPT is very trope-filled.

please provide me with more ideas for medieval-themed constructions in Dwarf Fortress

the idea of doping the prompts with specific themes came to mind. you could pick specific universes or books or whatever to add theme to the results.

please describe a monastery blueprint to build in dwarf fortress

Now, this? this is perfection. For anyone who has embarked on a fortress only to run out of ideas for what to throw down next.... this kind of checklist is awesome. again, not revolutionary, but the fact you could replace 'monastery' with just about anything is futuristic.

finally, i asked the one question on everyone's mind:

how to defeat keas in Dwarf Fortress

no no no. wrong, AI, you are wrong.

how to permanently defeat keas in dwarf fortress

NO. no  no no. you were supposed to have the answers.

who is helping the keas attack my fortress in dwarf fortress

NO. how DARE you not believe in the conspiracy of the 'green shadow', a globalist conspiracy to destroy new fortresses and control the sale of gold and silver by employing trained kea assassins.

why is dwarf fortress so difficult

do note, no specific mention of U.I.  :P

thoughts? anyone else have some good prompts to share?

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: chatGPT and Dwarf Fortress: prompt ideas / suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 12:23:15 pm »

I did some research into ChatGPT's knowledge of Dwarf Fortress, by asking it questions like "What is dwarven wine made out of?", and "what spells can wizards cast in Dwarf Fortress?"

Here's an example questioning:

Here is my conclusion:

Anything found on the wikipedia.com page for Dwarf Fortress, it will answer accurately and reliably.

Anything not found on the wikipedia, it'll just make up. Sometimes due to a lucky guess it'll come pretty close to the mark, but one way to tell is its made up answers change a lot. For example with the "What spells can a wizard cast in Dwarf Fortress?", you can get anything from a detailed list of spells, to "Wizards don't exist in Dwarf Fortress", as long as the words flow it is perfectly happy. Or if you ask it what Dwarven Wine is made of, it answers correctly, but if you ask it what Dwarven Ale is made from, it could answer "plump helmets" or "malt" or give a list of ingredients.

Basically I wanted to establish its knowledge baseline for purposes of prompt-engineering, knowing what it needs to be informed of to generate appropriate content.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 08:13:06 pm »

as long as the words flow it is perfectly happy.

this is a really good way to describe the output of most AI these days. and why they remain hamstrung as content generators without human intervention. for now...

I have had good success with prompt lists for roleplay value. as a stepping off point for stories, it's quite nice to see a review of all the tropes in one go

Quizmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 05:41:35 pm »

it has told me things like push the 'B' key for brewing mode, and the 'N' key for Necromancer mode