Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Your drinking culture  (Read 11380 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Your drinking culture
« on: January 24, 2015, 11:50:25 am »

Looking for anything exotic that doesn't mesh with standard fantasy. Please explain why it's the way it is.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:09:40 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your drinking culture
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 06:20:04 am »

Like...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 06:38:43 am »

This question raises more questions. Like: what are you talking about?
Alas I will attempt an answer.
Im from new zealand.
Back when maybe 40ish years (some shit. Im drunk right now) the bars used to close and stop serving drinks at 6pm and most work would end at 5pm so all the men would rush to the pub and load up on booze to relax after a hard days work (especially factory workers) and the children of these fathers and mothers saw it as a normal thing, it was past down, new zealand also has many people with pacific decendant genes and they have a lack of genetic resistance to alchohol just like the native americans and even european decendants cant handle it.
And a violent culture also came from the abuse of alchohol.
We have a shitload of family violence issues in new zealand. I dont know one person NOT personaly affected by it.
Alchohol is a poison.
Does this help at all?
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 12:38:49 pm »

Drinking culture?
Could you give a bit more clarification?

Do you mean the things people in the area/country do involving alcohol (parties, events, etc.)?

Alchohol is a poison.

Amen to that.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 01:07:09 pm »

Drinking culture?
Could you give a bit more clarification?

Do you mean the things people in the area/country do involving alcohol (parties, events, etc.)?

Yeah, specifically things unusual to westerners (and stock fantasy). That Wolf's post definitely qualifies.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:16:26 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 02:28:07 pm »

Well, here in the grim darkness of the cold north we get as utterly shitfaced as humanly possible every weekend so we can actually talk to each other and such. No idea if that counts as unusual, but it's supposedly healthier than the continental 'glass with every meal' style of doing things. :-\
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:29:58 pm by Dyret »

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 03:50:19 pm »

Absinthe preparation ritual comes to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLr8NaHbf5U

Ad alcohol is a poison - everything is a poison in extensive quantities. Food can be a poison, even water can kill you if you drink several liters fast enough. On the other hand, many cultures drunk moderately without problems. Don't confuse moderate drinking with alcoholism.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:52:46 pm by Kamamura »
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 03:32:35 am »

Dyret, as you probably know just as well as I the shops also stop selling beer at an ungodly early hour here (8pm on normal days, 6pm on Saturdays), and the special government-controlled liquor stores that are the sole vendors of booze and wine close even earlier. So every Friday there's usually a massive line of people waiting in line at those liquor stores. In fact, the Norwegian word
"polkø"
means:
"massive line of people at the government-controlled liquor store".

Also, in Iceland you can't even buy beer anywhere outside liquor stores, except bars and nightclubs. It's almost as if the Vikings are so afraid of what might happen if they all could drink as much as they wanted, that they've chosen to put these heavy restrictions on the sacred drink. Otherwise they might start going on raids again.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 03:35:14 am by Magnus »
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 04:02:19 am »

As a teenager in Sweden: Drink as much as possible, pass out on bathroom floor. Throwing up is recommended, but not mandatory.
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 11:11:13 am »

Dyret, as you probably know just as well as I the shops also stop selling beer at an ungodly early hour here (8pm on normal days, 6pm on Saturdays), and the special government-controlled liquor stores that are the sole vendors of booze and wine close even earlier. So every Friday there's usually a massive line of people waiting in line at those liquor stores.

Yup, prohibition grade bullshit. Luckily they're not preventing people from keeping a stash.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 05:32:41 pm »

Well, I know that the Romans used their wine to purify water for consumption.  Only alcoholics drank wine straight.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 03:12:22 am »

Well, I know that the Romans used their wine to purify water for consumption.  Only alcoholics drank wine straight.
I.e. all the Romans.
All romans drank wine.
Romans were quite short.
Caesar means "hairy" in proto-Latin.

Rome is the original Mountainhome.

mineforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 06:46:30 pm »

Looking for anything exotic that doesn't mesh with standard fantasy. Please explain why it's the way it is.

I'm to young to drink anything. And I probably never will anyways.
Who's born in the fortress, die in the fortress

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 01:38:53 am »

I'm to young to drink anything. And I probably never will anyways.
Hush, child. Don't say such terrible things.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 02:34:23 am »

The British drink as if the end of the world were arriving at dawn. There's not much in the way of pretext. There's not much in the way of occasion. It's a mechanical glass-to-mouth action performed, often enough, in the presence of others.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4