Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Your drinking culture  (Read 11370 times)

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your drinking culture
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2015, 08:58:20 pm »

Well, I know that the Romans used their wine to purify water for consumption.  Only alcoholics drank wine straight.

Wines were often very alcoholic, with Pliny noting that a cup of Falernian would catch fire from a candle flame drawn too close.

Yeah, I guess one would want to add a drop of water to such a beverage.

Yust throwing this out there:  Pliny is full of crap.   Alcohol will not burn unless it's atleast 50% alcohol by volume, and you can't get that sort of concentration via simple fermantation, you have to have distillation.   Falernian wine was supposed to have a 15% ABV, which would mean you would need to simmer that wine, then put a candle to it to get combustion.

I've made brandy from a homemade still, and the wine used to cook with is not flammable.  But the stuff that comes out the worm, CERTAINLY is(at 80-90% alcohol, it will burn with a bright blue flame, will drip fire, and a teaspoon burns for about 2 minutes).   

To be fair, Pliny is the same guy who said that there were hope snakes, oxen that shot fire out of their arses, and other similar things.   He's a terrible source for science.    And he got himself killed investigating a volcano, because he was an idiot.

I cannot tell about Pliny, honestly, it was a random quote I picked up for fun.

But it's not true you can't produce concentrated alcohol without distillation. You can take wine or beer and you can freeze it and throw the ice away, getting more concentrated alcohol as a result, since alcohol has lower freeze point. If you repeat this several times, you could get over 50 percent, which would burn, but the main disadvantage of the process is that all the hangover-inducing cogeners that would be removed by a properly done distillation will remain in the drink.

As for the absinthe, it does not "come out of the worm" (you meant wormwood, right?), because there are no sugars in wormwood that could be fermented. Instead, the herbs (fennel, anise, wormwood and others) are macerated in grain or wine alcohol base and then distilled. The strength is also from 65 to 75 abv. or so max, only fake crapsinth made by mixing cheap alcohol and horrible bitter wormwood extract are sold at such strengths. Absinthe aficionados also never do that crap with burning sugar, it's served with chilled water only, diluted 1:4 or 1:5, sometimes with the water dripped slowly over a sugar cube.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:02:39 pm by Kamamura »
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 07:55:40 pm »

"worm" is slang for the condenser coil in a still  ???

I've seen folks who seem pretty serious about their absinthe (i.e. locals at dive bars) do the thing with the fire, so I guess that is a custom that varies

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 08:18:05 pm »

"worm" is slang for the condenser coil in a still  ???

I've seen folks who seem pretty serious about their absinthe (i.e. locals at dive bars) do the thing with the fire, so I guess that is a custom that varies

No, it is not. The thing with fire is a load of crap invented in 1990s. Nobody during the Belle Epoque in France or in Switzerland before the absinthe ban did that, because they were not stupid enough to spoil a well made alcohol. The swindlers in the 90s invented this to sell it to the tourist as fake mysterious rubbish, because the drink they made and sold as absinthe was undrinkable, bitter hooch. So why not burn it and have some fun? But no knowledgeable person with a good absinthe will do it.

http://stevehuff.hubpages.com/hub/ABSINTHEFACTS

http://wormwoodsociety.org/index.php/serving-absinthe-mainmenu-228

What you see here is everything you need to enjoy absinthe in the traditional manner: fine absinthe, a glass, an absinthe spoon, sugar, and a carafe full of ice-cold water.
Note: Under no circumstances should fire have any part in the absinthe ritual.  This is a pointless innovation created in the 1990's and promoted by the purveyors of imitation absinth to make their products seem more interesting and to reinforce the illicit drug image.

You can trust the guys at wormwoodsociety.org, they know what they are talking about.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:20:06 pm by Kamamura »
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 08:59:05 pm »

Then your SCB uses obsolete data for their evaluation.

If they're anything like their Norwegian equivalents they just cherry pick facts to support whatever narrative they've decided on.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 01:19:25 am »

No, it is not. The thing with fire is a load of crap invented in 1990s. Nobody during the Belle Epoque in France or in Switzerland before the absinthe ban did that, because they were not stupid enough to spoil a well made alcohol. The swindlers in the 90s invented this to sell it to the tourist as fake mysterious rubbish, because the drink they made and sold as absinthe was undrinkable, bitter hooch. So why not burn it and have some fun? But no knowledgeable person with a good absinthe will do it.

Makes sense, but everywhere I've encountered absinthe (Cesky Krumlov, Prague, London, LA -- all either Bohemian or touristy), I have only seen what I must assume is what you classify as the terrible hooch kind ;) but also plenty of people who like it, for some reason.  Or at least are young/poor/etc. enough to drink lots of it.  Thanks for the information, though; maybe if I ever happen across the real stuff I'll consider sampling it.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2015, 05:11:59 am »

I saw Thisfox saying that australia saying they have an alcohol drive through. Wow awesomeness. Last time I was in australia I went into a 'outlet' and I looked around for a 15 box and I asked the guy where they were and he laughed saying "we arnt in new zealand anymore" (must have been my accent)
Is that true? Does australia not sell 15s?
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2015, 08:57:11 am »

Makes sense, but everywhere I've encountered absinthe (Cesky Krumlov, Prague, London, LA -- all either Bohemian or touristy), I have only seen what I must assume is what you classify as the terrible hooch kind ;) but also plenty of people who like it, for some reason.  Or at least are young/poor/etc. enough to drink lots of it.  Thanks for the information, though; maybe if I ever happen across the real stuff I'll consider sampling it.

Yes, I am a native Czech citizen, and unfortunately, what you see in the street liquor stores and in tourist pubs is most often the vile hooch. You can get genuine absinthe in Prague, but you either have to buy it on the internet via specialized shops, or know where to go. If you don't care about the price and want to taste real absinthe in a classy bar with excellent and well trained staff, go to Hemingway Bar in Prague. It's a really classy place, so be prepared to pay through the nose, but they will serve you Jades, La Clandestine, or the only good domestic absinthe called St. Antoine in a beautiful glasses, with ice fountain and everything, and they will even answer all your questions competently.

How to quickly recognize absinthe imitation:
- glowing green, or worse blue-green color (mouthwash style). Genuine absinthe has muted green, often yellowish color (like dying leaves, since the color is from plant chlorophyll)
- awful, bitter taste - from macerated wormwood. True absinthe has to contain fennel, anise and wormwood, and must be distilled. The resulting drink is never too bitter, but rather an interesting, developing subtle mix of various tastes and aromas.
- No louche (clouding) - when ice cold water is dripped into a genuine absinthe, the drink will turn milky white, because certain oils from anise can be diluted only in alcohol, but not in water. When alcohol concentration drops, they will come out of the solution, and form a cloudy emulsion instead. Fake absinthe almost never louches.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2015, 06:46:43 pm »

The fact that this has to disregard "stock fantasy" shows how pathetic our culture is. If even fantasy, the escape from reality, has been standardised, what does that say for creativity?

I don't blame Tolkien, I blame his imitators, especially those D&D hacks who also cursed us with the hit points that ruin all too many role playing games.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2015, 04:16:41 am »

I saw Thisfox saying that australia saying they have an alcohol drive through. Wow awesomeness. Last time I was in australia I went into a 'outlet' and I looked around for a 15 box and I asked the guy where they were and he laughed saying "we arnt in new zealand anymore" (must have been my accent)
Is that true? Does australia not sell 15s?

What is 15 box? Our drinking age isn't that low, it's 18, not 15.

...No, wait, I think you mean a case. Bottles come in 6-packs, with four 6-packs to a case of beer. That makes it 24 bottles to a case. 15 is an odd number.... how would you fit an odd number in a case? I must be mistaken still on what you mean. {heads off to urban dictionary} Nope, that didn't help. May I have some context please?

An NZ reference: A six pack, pronounced NZ-fashion, sounds to Aussie ears like "sex pack", leading to all sorts of jokes. New Zealanders tend to learn rather fast not to ask for a six pack, and to buy their booze by the case. We make fun of their accent otherwise.

We do indeed have drive thru bottle-o's. You drive into the drivethru, park, and either an attendant serves you through your car window, or you hop out of the car for a sec to snag your chosen tipple, pay, and hop back in (depends on the time of day, and how busy the place is). That said, we have very very strict laws on drinking and driving (short story: Do not do it in Oz. Ever.) so it's very well regulated. Drinking and driving can lead to gaol time, massive (many 1000s of dollar) fines, and loss of licence, even if you haven't had an accident. I am a driver, and have been pulled over and breathalised (Tested for alcohol use: I was clean) four times in the last three months. This is normal.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2015, 09:12:40 am »

Yeah the drinking age in NZ is 18, and yeah its a weird number to sell by the 15 but we do.
Its $20 for a 15 and thats the cheap shit, the good stuff can go for 30 to 40 dollars for a 12 pack.
Sums are off the top of my head, ive bought enough to be in the ball park though.
Wow thanks Thisfox for sharing your knowledge with me.
You learnt that we have 15packs. The more you know the less you understand.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2015, 02:26:15 pm »

You learnt that we have 15packs. The more you know the less you understand.

Huh. How interesting. I agree, I understand less. Thankyou for the insight.

I can't help but wonder about packaging. I guess it could be packed in four lots of four with one.... missing? Or two rows of seven with a spare taped to the side of the box? {considers} Or... three rows of five. It would have to be three rows of five.....
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2015, 08:25:21 pm »

15 is an odd number.... how would you fit an odd number in a case?

Hmm... ehh... erhm... five bottles/cans in three rows?

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2015, 09:05:29 pm »

I alternate between cheap/expensive scotch, just a wee dram, with my 81 year old father.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2015, 01:24:13 am »

Haha yeah you only get the 15th beer at the counter if you have ID

No its 3 5s in a cardboard box.
Haha
What a weird world we live in.
I hope we can buy 15 packs of beer in the taverns update. I will go crazy if I cant Screaming "twelve is not enough"

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2015, 02:28:54 am »

Given how expensive glass and aluminium were to make using DF technology, I would say emphatically NO.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4