Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Around the world in One Hundred and Twenty Nine tiles.  (Read 15165 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Around the world in One Hundred and Twenty Nine tiles.
« on: January 24, 2015, 12:35:05 pm »

Challenge + Optional Succession

SURVIVE
the collapse of your civilization

EXPAND
across a hostile world

PROTECT
your fledgling settlements

THE WORLD

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The premise is to build fortresses, scout new locations and eliminate threats until a line of player fortresses stretches all the way across the world.

FORTRESS MODE

To make things interesting each fortress must succeed before retiring. 'succeed' in this case meaning:
* Create an artifact
* Have more children born than dwarves die
* Be connected to at least one other site with a paved road or better (does not apply to first fortress).

ADVENTURER MODE

The tasks that face heroes of Gubellor are;
* To carefully scout the local area around the fortress Syrupgrasping (and later fortresses).
* To talk to locals about the dangers that may threaten a new fortress in this area.
* To eliminate at least one nearby threat

Local area near Turn 1 fortress

NOTE: Retiring in a player fortress may prove horribly fatal, particularly if you are thirsty.

TURN HISTORY

Turn 1 (Fortress) ptb_ptb
The first fortress is successfully, and quietly, established.
Turn 1 (Adventurer) ptb_ptb
A troll recruit is killed, and very little is found while scouting.
Turn 2 (Fortress) ptb_ptb
Died, by Forgotten Beast...
(Erased from history due to data corruption :( )
Turn 1 (Adventurer) continued ... ptb_ptb
Datan encounters a Giant Cave Spider while tired. Not a good idea. Then various other heroes died variously.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10522 <- Save file
Turn 2 (Fortress) UltraMagnus
Crashes and RL. May roll back again.
Turn 3 (Fortress) Detros or ptb_ptb?
Turn 3 (Adventurer) Detros or ptb_ptb?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:50:43 am by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Around the world in One Hundred and Twenty Nine tiles.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 03:00:48 pm »

4X 20Y

... is the premise that you're going to build on adjacent tiles a ring around the world/continent?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 03:03:54 pm by smakemupagus »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 04:11:30 pm »

4X 20Y

... is the premise that you're going to build on adjacent tiles a ring around the world/continent?

That's what I'd planned. Up/down, left/right or whatever. Not necessarily a straight line.

I thought it was a suitably impossible aim. ;)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 03:37:35 am »

1004 Early Spring, 15th Granite

So here we are, at the edge of the world. The last seven known members of the dwarven civilization Gubellor. We hope there are other refugees scraping their living in the world, but we have managed to pull together enough resources to rebuild! Our new civilization begins here - in the cold savanna backed against the unforgiving tundra. Our only neighbours goblins and the unnerving sight of a distant tower wreaved in darkness.

Strike the Earth!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 04:33:19 am »

Wow, now this is a mega project.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 04:58:23 am »

1004 Late Spring, 21st Felsite

We have broken through the aquifer layer and are preparing to move our precious resources underground.

1004 Early Summer, 21st Hematite

Against all hope, some migrants have arrived! Seating them around a small campfire I ask them what tales they have of the world outside, and strange news they have indeed!

From the furthest corner of the world from here there come rumours of Racksoaked. Racksoaked was founded by Gubellor at the dawn of time by The Sorcerous Axe. It fared poorly, like most of our civilization, and was defeated and pillaged by goblins many times. The last known dwarf resident, Avuz Copperpointy, was believed to have been driven off the site in The Age of Myth 69 by a night creature. Some few humans settled in the ruins and, to my surprise, the rumours are that there are still humans living there and they now claim to be part of our noble dwarf civilization!

A pitiful few humans, most likely bandits or refugees, are of little import but more concerning are the rumors of Strodno Rhymenightmare. A nightmare indeed, he claims the throne of Gubellor, but the barest glimpse at history shows his claims to be tattered lies and boasts.  The last known true king was Ast Syruptome. In the Age of Myth 88 Ast Syruptome was struck down in the goblin wars that claimed three settlements in that very year. That was effectively the end of our kingdom, although the Hillocks Wheelclaws survived without noble guidance for a few years more until 'reclaimed' by another dwarven civilization.

But enough ancient history, let us turn to the pretender king, Strodno Rhymenightmare. He was born in the Age of Myth 929 and has ambitions to rule the world. He appears to have been born in Murderedcastle, once a proud dwarven hillocks but conqured and run by wretched goblins and their ilk since 88. Strodno was a quisling working for that group, The Deceiver of Ghouls, for over twenty years. Suddenly he now claims to be part of our kingdom and, indeed, to be the very king himself!

We are in no position to do anything about him now, but one day a reckoning must come!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 05:03:46 am by ptb_ptb »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 05:50:15 am »

Migrants available for dorfing.

Goden Canyonpleats, (Legendary Brewer by 1006) born 932
Her goal is to craft a masterwork

Vucar Lashedurged, Mason born 944
Husband of Onul Lashdashes
His goal is to craft a masterwork

Onul Lashdashes, Fish Dissector born 919
Wife of Vucar Lashedurged
Her goal is to master a skill

If you want to be dorfed I will attempt to keep you informed of any interesting events that involve him or her. You can also give some general guidance as to what you want them to do (although it may not be followed very closely).

If anybody else wants to run an adventurer or a fortress in this thread, dorfed members will be given precedence.

1004 Early Autumn, 12th Limestone

A 'trading caravan' arrives from 'Gubellor'. This is obviously some sort of cruel trick by the pretender king and his backers, the goblins. We will ignore them until they go away.

Let us be clear, there will be no trading with dwarven caravans until a true king sits on Gubellor's throne!

[EDIT]

1004 Mid-Autumn, 3rd Sandstone
More migrants arrive

Sakzul Plainswheeled, Miner
Born 953
Her goal is to create a Great Work of Art

Meng Catchlances, Dyer
Born 931
His goal is to create a Great Work of Art

Dobar Doorcombine, Carpenter
Born 927
Her goal is to Master a Skill

1004 Mid-Autumn, 14th Sandstone
Our miners discover a verdant cavern deep underground - full of life, trees and fungi.

1004 Mid-Autumn, 18th Sandstone
Our miners discover a vast underground lake with many trees and fungi.

1004 Mid-Autumn, 28th Sandstone
Our miners discover another verdant cavern deep underground - full of life, trees and fungi.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:29:21 am by ptb_ptb »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 01:35:36 pm »

1004 Late Autumn, 8th Timber
Our miners have discovered the great magma sea. There is, however, no sign of adamantine. In fact we have so far found only Zinc, Tin and Bismuth. Truly, our choice of fortress location was ill-favoured.

1005 Mid-Spring, 20th Slate
Some more migrants arrive.

Cilob Lashedstopped
Born 928
His goal is to Craft a Masterwork

Zas Clenchattics
Born 929
His goal is to Start a Family

Kol Pantedbolts
Born 935
Her goal is to Craft a Masterwork

Mistem Coppermeet
Born 950
His goal is to Craft a Masterwork

Logem Syrupplanned
Born 953
Her goal is to Create a Great Work of Art

1005 Late Spring, 3rd Felsite
Onul Lashdashes, wife of Vucar Lashedurged, has given birth to a healthy baby boy, Atir Strifefulfortresses.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 05:30:19 pm »

I've never once hit the magma sea and not struck Adamantine. Bad luck?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 07:14:49 pm »

I've never once hit the magma sea and not struck Adamantine. Bad luck?

Nah. small embark (2x2)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 01:35:21 am »

I'll take a dwarf, to make sure i remember to follow this very ambitious and dwarfy project :)  It will be fun to see if any of your named dwarfs migrate to later forts.  It can be anyone that you think is prominent, maybe a promising blacksmith if there is one?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 05:16:11 am »

I'll take a dwarf, to make sure i remember to follow this very ambitious and dwarfy project :)  It will be fun to see if any of your named dwarfs migrate to later forts.  It can be anyone that you think is prominent, maybe a promising blacksmith if there is one?

Unfortunately we only have Zinc, Tin and Bismuth! So, there is little use for blacksmiths as of yet. I'll see if I can pick out somedwarf suitable. How about Meng Catchlances? (see below) We also have a legendary brewer (always popular!) and a legendary miner.

I, too, am looking forward to seeing dwarves from older fortresses coming to stay in new places. I am not sure if the earlier migrants were from scattered bands of refugees, or if they were 'incarnated from nothing' by the game. The fact that there was a married couple suggests the former, but they don't have any history showing up in the legends.

DORFING REPORT
--------------
Meng Catchlances was trained as a dyer and dreams of creating a great work of art. He is friends with Sakzul Plainswheeled, miner. His skills with dyes are rusting while he has been put to work on seemingly endless, if vital, construction work. Currently he is walling off the first cavern layer from the dangers of the subterranean wilderness. He has only got in one fight, a long time ago, and he has already forgotten the details. It seems most likely he will become a Mason if current trends continue. He has no real weaknesses, and has great intuition, good spatial sense, good focus and a good memory.

Goden Canyonpleats has reached the heights of skill as a Legendary Brewer, her main complaint is that the only thing she has to brew is plump helmets! She is friends with Vucar Lashedurged, Mason. In this small underground outpost she is pressed to deal with whatever other needs come up. Basically, hauling. At the moment she is dragging another boulder to the rock stockpile. She has never faced battle. There are two other apprentice brewers in the fortress, but everyone wants her to continue to work as brewer. She is low on patience, quick to tire, slow to heal and susceptible to disease. She does, howevever, have a good spatial sense.

Sakzul Plainswheeled has refined her skills to become a legendary miner although she dreams of creating a great work of art. She is friends with Meng Catchlances and Onul Lashdashes. She has a pet alpaca living on moss in a small room above the aquifer layer. Sakzul is also a decent cook, but has had no chance to show this yet. At the moment Sakzul is building a temporary bridge as scaffolding in the caverns. She has an amazing spatial sense, good kinesthetic sense and focus. But poor memory, dubious creativity, is very quick to tire and is really flimsy. Sakzul is not great with social relationships.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:46:42 am by ptb_ptb »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 06:44:31 am »

1005 Early Summer, 2nd Hematite
A necromancer has come to visit from the tower! He soon runs away from our dogs, but the animated corpses remain.

1005 Late Winter, 5th Obsidian
Onul Lashdashes, wife of Vucar Lashedurged, has given birth to a healthy baby girl, Udib Tiremine!

1006 Early Summer, 9th Hematite
Several dwarves were injured while attempting to build walls 'supported' by a bridge. Luckily nodwarf died in the accidents. Some time ago, while we weren't looking, the seige of animated corpses has lifted. They left behind an undead dog's head, lacking legs it probably will not be a great worry.

1006 Late Autumn, 26th Timber
Onul Lashdashes, wife of Vucar Lashedurged, has given birth to a healthy baby boy, Obok Tradeforded!

[EDIT]

1006 Early Winter, 2nd Moonstone
We are invaded by the saddest invasion force ever. One goblin crossbowman. Who decides to attack the undead dog
head. Invasion over. I think I shall call the dog head 'Rex'.

1007 Early Spring, 12th Granite
Welp, goodbye Rex. :( I wanted to capture him, so I ordered some cage traps put up very quickly by the fortress entrance. Unfortunately Goden Safetyropes, Mason, decided to charge him and literally punched it into dust! "The Mason punches The dog head in the head with his right hand and the injured part collapses!" Good Armok, that's impressive!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:30:55 am by ptb_ptb »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 08:01:44 am »

Addition to challenge:  Build a continuous mine track from settlement to settlement, that any adventurers can ride in to get from the beginning embark to the most recent one (Might be a good idea anyway, for trans-shipment of materials and foods stockpiled in earlier fortresses.)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 08:16:49 am »

Addition to challenge:  Build a continuous mine track from settlement to settlement, that any adventurers can ride in to get from the beginning embark to the most recent one (Might be a good idea anyway, for trans-shipment of materials and foods stockpiled in earlier fortresses.)
Um, I'm not against that idea. But I think it may horribly kill my FPS if I'm that ambitious. Suggest it again in 128 fortresses' time or so. :P [EDIT] Yeah, I gave in and adopted this idea.

Meanwhile ...

1007 Early Spring, 16th Granite
Cilob Lashedstopped has been taken by a strange mood!

1007 Early Spring, 23rd Granite
Cilob Lashedstopped has completed his work!

When asked for a comment he simply stated "I shall name you Wavedtapered the National Vestibule. That was very satisfying!"

With this the Hamlet Syrupgrasping can be declared 'successful'. No dwarves died, and three children were born during the three game years Syrupgrasping took to get established. Syrupgrasping was sieged once by a necromancer and once by a pathetic goblin (singular) force.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:06:42 pm by ptb_ptb »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7