Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Around the world in One Hundred and Twenty Nine tiles.  (Read 15144 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Around the world in One Hundred and Twenty Nine tiles.
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 08:39:05 am »

Turn One (Adventurer)

The tasks that face heroes of Gubellor are;
1. To carefully scout the local area around the fortress Syrupgrasping.
2. To talk to locals about the dangers that may threaten a new fortress in this area.
3. To eliminate at least one nearby threat

NOTE: Retiring in a player fortress may prove horribly fatal, particularly if you are thirsty.

[EDIT]

Datan Diamondgrave(M)

1007 9th Slate
As I start my travels I hear the unpromising sound of the hatch being firmly latched behind me. "Don't worry," says an muffled dwarven voice, "we'll let you back in if you survive." It is snowing and thick fog hides everything. I don't know how I'm supposed to find anything in this weather. I can only hope it improves.

I spend the morning cutting up all the skeletons lying around the surface. With a necromancer in the area this only makes sense. In the afternoon I climb the wall around the fortress entrance (as they still won't open the hatch!). I need to talk to the expedition leader, and possibly the other dwarves here, about any local dangers.

Inside all anybody wants to talk about is The Golden Organs, the local necromantic tower, which is at war with us.

I am surprised, however, to find Dodok Theaterchanted, claiming to be the Baroness of Tourmartyrs, a Fortress Site that was destroyed by a forgotten beast far back in history - In the Age of Myth 23, to be precise. Has her family been passing the title down so long? I am highly suspicious of this development. Still, she may know something useful. She talks of the Auburn Dungeons being at war with 'us', although by all appearances The 'king' of Gubellor works for them as a not-so-secret catspaw.

In the cavern I find the General Erib Swelteredboats, along with a number of pack animals that appear to have strayed from a merchant's caravan. As their owners are not to be seen, I feel our desparate need calls for desperate measures. Syrupgrasping is extremely short of usable metals, these good will make a big difference here.

A short while later I meet the 'Baroness' Ushat Rapidlenses. She does not elaborate on where, or what, she is Baroness of.

Someone has left a baby crawling around by itself! I hope they come back for it soon.

In the very depths of the earth I discover a strange slope surrounded by red rock that shifts under my gaze. I venture down, only to find that I can only leave again by means of a magic spell. I know not what lies further down, and something tells me it is best not to find out.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:31:14 am by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 01:50:19 pm »

The continuing adventures of Datan Diamondgrave

It must have been a miracle when I climbed the wall on the way in. It will certainly take a miracle to get me back over again. I spend the rest of the day until sunset resolutely climbing up, and falling down, the two level stone block wall. After a good sleep I try again and succeed! I must be an expert climber by now. Unfortunately, I succeeded too early, the sun isn't up yet. I go back down inside to rest some more. My skills remain with me, however, and I find it easy enough to climb over again a few hours later.

Scouting anything to the North is virtually impossible, as the fog seems to hang over the tundra all the time. The
south is slightly easier, though. To the South East I spot something moving in the distance. I approach warily...
a little closer and I see something else closer to the frozen river. But what's this? Something else has moved up to block my retreat! I am not ashamed to admit I am fearful at this development, but I must discover if these figures moving in the snowy grasslands are a threat or not.

With some effort I finally confront the first skulking form - it's the Baroness of Wheelclaws! Wheelclaws fell to some unknown fate in 107, but was 'reclaimed' by another, more successful, dwarven civilization. I suspect, however, that this is another 'noble' who has just recently claimed a title from my civilization. Really! You can't throw a snowball without hitting the long lost heir of a forgotten noble family.

I ask her why she's travelling, "I'm going to Floorpaints to take up my position as baroness of Wheelclaws." Huh. Ever thought of going to Wheelclaws for that instead? She doesn't have anything useful to say, so I head back towards the other suspicious characters I'd seen.

The second figure I find is a troll recruit. I feel underequipped for this confrontation, but decide the advantage of surprise must be enough. My first attack slashes open its neck, but it fights on as if barely discomforted. It takes several more major hits before it falls to the ground in pain. I don't know what it was doing so near our fortress, but it can't have been up to any good.

No other suspicious travellers remain in my sight so I decide to declare my mission over. It's time to go home.

Audience Participation Time!

YOU get to choose where the next fortress is built. In the previous post you can see the map tile where the first fortress was established (X 4 Y 20), and the surrounding eight tiles. You can pick any direction (N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W or NW). You can also specify where the embark should be within the map tile, and what shape / size it should be (up to 9 local map tiles large). For example, you could ask that the next fortress be built to the SOUTH and cover the 8 LOCAL MAP TILES of the river from where it crosses the North most point down to the first bend (see example fig. below)

The only restriction is that the embark can't be wholly on liquid sea tiles!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:53:36 pm by ptb_ptb »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 02:55:44 pm »

Next site: Beginning from the easternmost south facing edge and continuing to the southenmost edge of the quadrant.  Embark needs to be 1x6 (total of 6 tiles)

"Dwarven elevated railway"
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 03:04:06 pm »

Next site: Beginning from the easternmost south facing edge and continuing to the southenmost edge of the quadrant.  Embark needs to be 1x6 (total of 6 tiles)

Ah, you want it in the same map tile as the first fortress. Oh well, as it's you. :P 

I'm blaming you if the game breaks before I can finish crossing the world. ;)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 05:31:14 pm »

I recommend a backup.

I like that adventurer.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 06:27:20 pm »

Ah, you want it in the same map tile as the first fortress. Oh well, as it's you. :P 

I'm blaming you if the game breaks before I can finish crossing the world. ;)

No, I didn't say that.  I said 1 tile wide, six long - that makes the northernmost tile of the proposed embark adjacent to the southern edge of the southwestern quarter of the first embark.  Next to, not on top of...

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 03:56:00 am »

No, I didn't say that.  I said 1 tile wide, six long - that makes the northernmost tile of the proposed embark adjacent to the southern edge of the southwestern quarter of the first embark.  Next to, not on top of...

Actually, I wrote out a reply to your first post asking for a diagram or a rephrasing. But then I thought I knew what you meant.

With your latest clarification ... I have even less idea of what you could mean. :P

Now what I thought you meant was
Beginning from the easternmost south-facing edge of the 2x2 fortress embark and continuing to the southenmost edge of the quadrant first embark's world-map tile (X 4 Y 20).  Embark needs to be 1x6 (total of 6 tiles)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 05:38:24 am »

Go for this embark and place your fortress in the southern part of that embark region.
Add to "successful fortress" definition: is connected to at least one other site with (at least) a paved road or (the better) minecart railway with sufficiently powered tracks powered and stops near gates of each fort in the chain. Aim for interconnected net. The railway may be left for future reclaims, once several forts are established.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 05:48:06 am »

Actually, I wrote out a reply to your first post asking for a diagram or a rephrasing. But then I thought I knew what you meant.

With your latest clarification ... I have even less idea of what you could mean. :P

Now what I thought you meant was
Beginning from the easternmost south-facing edge of the 2x2 fortress embark and continuing to the southenmost edge of the quadrant first embark's world-map tile (X 4 Y 20).  Embark needs to be 1x6 (total of 6 tiles)

No, that's what I meant.  I was just confused when you said that one of the new fortress embark squares would include one of the old embark squares, (which can be done with DfHack's "Embark Everywhere" command, but which can break the game pretty quickly too.)

Ah...

You say "map tile" and mean the one of the nine red outlined squares that I'm calling "quadrants", while I'm saying "map tile" and meaning one of the 256 (16 x 16) embark tiles contained within each red edged square (AKA quadrant).  Sorry to be unclear.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 05:51:44 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 05:58:38 am »

No, that's what I meant.  I was just confused when you said that one of the new fortress embark squares would include one of the old embark squares

I said "In the same map tile as the old fortress", but to be clearer I meant the same world map tile (as opposed to the same local map tile).

Lol, I think we are all on the same page now. ;)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 06:13:55 am »

Go for this embark and place your fortress in the southern part of that embark region.
Add to "successful fortress" definition: is connected to at least one other site with (at least) a paved road or (the better) minecart railway with sufficiently powered tracks powered and stops near gates of each fort in the chain. Aim for interconnected net. The railway may be left for future reclaims, once several forts are established.

Done! I'll take that. :)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 08:52:07 am »

Turn 2 (Fortress)

1007 Mid-Spring, 24th Slate

Rocksavage, the newest, and strangest, 'fortress' of Gubellor. Apparently rebuilding a civilization of dwarves from the scraps left isn't enough. Building a string of fortresses across the world isn't enough. We need a trans-world dwarven minecart track.

OK, sure. Whatever you say.

One nice thing about this freezing climate is that it's easy to fix things if you mess up the aquifer piercing.
Hopefully we'll get it right first time, though.

1007 Mid-Spring, 28th Slate

We quickly begin work on aquifer piercing on the south side of the embark area. It turns out that there is no aquifer there, so that went by quickly.

1007 Late Spring, 4th Felsite

Magnetite! Hallelujah. Thank goodness this embark isn't limited to useless metals like nickel, like poor Syrupgrasping.

1007 Late Spring, 11th Felsite

Sad news from the home fortress. A messenger arrived with the news that on 1007 Mid-Spring, 9th Slate, Vucar Lashedurged was struck down by the troll Mintdrinkers. He has already been avenged by the adventurer Datan Diamondgrave, although by all accounts Datan was unaware of Mintdrinkers' foul deed. Vucar leaves behind him his widow, Onul Lashdashes and three children. Our thoughts are with them in this trying time.

1007 Early Summer, 13th Hematite

Our miners have found the south-most extreme of the upper aquifer layer. They are now working to determine exactly what area it covers to avoid unpleasant surprises later.

1007 Early Summer, 22nd Hematite
Some migrants arrive. Are there any familiar faces to be found ...?

More news from the Syrupgrasping. The goblins made another assault there in late spring, 3rd Felsite. The goblins were defeated, with one (the only one?) being killed by Goden Canyonpleats.

After greeting the new arrivals we discover that all of them lived at Syrupgrasping before moving here. In fact Kadol Scalyposts(M) and Nish Swordsplatter(F) were two of the founding seven there. The others have been introduced earlier in this thread: Dobar Doorcombine(F), Sakzul Plainswheeled(F), Zas Clenchattics(M), Kol Pantedbolts(F), Logem Syrupplanned(F)

Kadol Scalyposts was born in 934
His goal is to Start a Family. He has formed a grudge against two dwarves living in Syrupgrasping, possibly why he chose to move.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nish Swordsplatter was born in 948
Her goal is to Craft a Masterwork

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 12:31:56 pm »

2007 Early Autumn, 12th Limestone
Giant Elephant Seals. Lots of them. I hope they aren't aggressive.

2007 Mid-Autumn, 2nd Sandstone
The battle of dog vs Giant Elephant Seal turns out to be pretty much a draw. The long drawn out fights are giving the dogs lots of bulk and muscle.

2007 Mid-Autumn, 21st Sandstone
One of the dogs has finally succumbed to its wounds, the remaining five fight on. More importantly, we have more migrants arriving. Who have we got this time?

Wait ... is that smoke? A quick look to the north confirmed our worst suspicious. The fortress of Syrupgrasping has been overrun by Goblins, (animated goblins even?), and the dwarves living there all killed or driven out. D:
Obviously we must improve our defences immediately!

The latest migrants may now well be the last to come to us. In fact, on seeing them, it appears that none of our new residents came from Syrupgrasping.

Asen Basementtube(F) born 930
Her goal is to Create a Great Work of Art

Kikrost Slingrooms(M) born 929
His goal is to Create a Great Work of Art

Morul Flickerpaper(F) born 931
Her goal is to Create a Great Work of Art

Obok Glazeplaited(F) born 942
Her goal is to Craft a Masterwork

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 12:46:47 pm »

I hope the goblins don't just follow us around the world destroying every fortress after you move on!
Would it help to make a stand somewhere and deplete their forces?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 12:53:10 pm »

I hope the goblins don't just follow us around the world destroying every fortress after you move on!
Would it help to make a stand somewhere and deplete their forces?

The next adventurer will have the task of clearing the fortress of Syrupgrasping of invaders, as well as checking for any lingering forces in the area. I should probably start training militia too!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7