Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Around the world in One Hundred and Twenty Nine tiles.  (Read 15156 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Around the world in One Hundred and Twenty Nine tiles.
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2015, 10:15:18 am »

Diary of Momuz Tinworks

Yesterday, while travelling back to my home fortress Coveredlash from the nearby mountain halls Containedgirders I was almost driven back by this most awful smell - worse than any miasma I have endured before. Covering my mouth and pinching my nose shut I hurried forwards only to find the corpse of the most muscular human I have ever seen. Completely naked. He had been savaged by some animal, and looking around I can see the bloody tracks of a cave crocodile. It just goes to show you that it is equipment that makes the dwarf ... er, man. No matter how strong you are, if you don't have protection then that muscle is just flesh for some beast's fangs. Lying partly concealed by his body was a piece of parchment. Much of the writing was obscured by blood, but there was a map leading to some location far to the west. At once I realized - this must be a treasure map! I decided right then to seek my fortune there.

I don't want to meet the same fate as the unknown human, though, so I intend to be as well armed and equipped as I possibly can be before setting out. I will record my travels in this journal for later generations to look at and marvel!

[EDIT] CRAAAAAAP! The fortress my adventurer in has become corrupt. Every time it tries to unload, it crashes.

That wouldn't be such a big deal, except that starting in adventurer mode DOESN'T create a backup save. For extra suckiness, I deleted my old backup folders (I know, I know) and the most recent save I have is from way back. Ugh. Just, Ugh.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:29:01 am by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2015, 04:15:02 pm »

(Out Of Character: I'm going back in time to the Adventurer turn and continuing with Datan Diamondgrave)

Datan Diamondgrave

1007 Mid-Spring, 11th Slate
Onul Lashdashes has given birth to a baby boy! Hopefully this will be some consolation, as I recently found her late husband dead in the cavern.

1007 Mid-Spring, 12th Slate
I found another stray pack animal and was lucky enough to get some steel equipment. Later, doing my patrol of the local area, I found a 'cave crocodile recruit'. I don't know who recruited it, but I'm sure it's not a friend of the dwarves! Fortunately a surprise attack was highly effective on it. A short distance away I come across a Troglodyte recruit. It didn't put up much of a fight, but these encounters make me wonder if they are scouts for a larger force.

The latest recruit I've found ... is a giant cave spider! Carelessly, I walked into its sight while tired, putting me at a big disadvantage in the fight. I start off blocking well, but then it gets past my defence and bites my left ear off! Things only go downhill from there, and by the time I fall unconscious from over-exertion the outcome is certain. (x_X)/~{aaarghl}

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2015, 01:53:56 pm »

Ustuth Bloodwhipped

1007 Mid-Spring, 27th Slate
Apparently we have a spider problem. It's time to go hunting.

I find, and kill, two giant weasels. Then a 'Snowy owl woman recruit'. Giant stoat.

No sign of a giant cave spider anywhere. Then I go back. Ugh. That stupid hatch is still locked. How do they expect me to go in and out like that? I can't keep climbing over the wall every time.

I take a quick look around, nobody here, off with the hatch!. After taking a nap, I feel a bit thirsty so I take a drink from the aquifer channel. Going back down to the workshops and stockpile I am surprised by a large form in the darkness - with far too many legs. Oh. Dear.

I think I've found the Giant Cave Spider Recruit.

(X_x)/~{aaarrghl}

(Out of Character: In the Rampage of the Giant Cave Spider Recruit Goden Canyonpleats, and Onul Lashdashes were killed before the spider died to an attack from Goden Safetyropes.)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2015, 04:00:13 pm »

Nice. So we are now like back at the end of
while adventurers managed to clear few nearby threats.

What now, build (once more) the second fort, make the first one bit more safer or search around with another adventurer?
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2015, 04:15:45 pm »

What now, build (once more) the second fort, make the first one bit more safer or search around with another adventurer?
I've been trying to use adventurers to clear the local area ... but it's not going that well.

The name's Steelbristles, Rovod Steelbristles.

1007 Late Spring 12th Felsite
A cave crocodile recruit came to visit. It was inevitable. I should really block that entrance ...

1007 Late Spring 13th Felsite
Giant stoat, no problem. Troll Recruit, not too tough - but where are they all coming from? I caught a goblin bowman sneaking around the fortress area. He wasn't any challenge.

1007 Late Spring 14th Felsite
Another two cave crocodile recruits, and a troglodyte recruit. It's like we're being invaded on an instalment plan. Make that three cave crocodile recruits. I don't feel I am making progress here, so I decide to storm the necromancer's tower. It may be a terrible risk, but I could at least remove one danger to the fortress.

[EDIT]

1007 Late Spring, 15th Felsite

The way to the Necromancer's tower wasn't completely free of incident - there were a couple of rather unfriendly yeti and such.  The tower itself was much worse. Human and goblin corpses lurched towards me swinging their rusty, but still deadly, weapons. It is quite disconcerting to cut off something's head and not have it fall down. How does it even see to attack? After removing the odd limb here and there I made a tactical withdrawal.

The next morning, refreshed, I head back. There are two dwarf necromancers there! Perhaps if I can kill them the corpses will return to their disturbed rest? It's worth a try. They move very fast! I catch up with one of them, an easy kill, but the other is nowhere to be found.

One of the corpses is more than half missing, it is on its own. I figure I can take care of that one and even the odds a little for later.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:41:54 pm by ptb_ptb »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2015, 11:20:34 am »

1007 Early Summer, 2nd Hematite

Fikod Axewheel, in the increasingly desperate tale of Syrupgrasping's defence.
Syrupgrasping is under repeated attacks by individuals and small groups that, probably, have come from a goblin site. Syrupgrasping has also been 'visited' by a necromancer from the nearby tower - on at least two occasions.

Hopefully I will be able to do something about this. More likely I will meet the same sad fate as those 'heroes' who have set out before me.

I find a lone Yeti Recruit. Unarmored, he proves no match for me. Another, the same. Near the necromancer's tower I find the mangled corpse of Rovod. I take the best of the equipment left there, well it will be more use on me - even if it didn't save its previous owner. I catch one of the necromancers unawares. One strike with my +steel short sword+ and his head flies off. He wont be performing any more unnatural acts!

(Out of character - the three animated corpses behind the necromancer, on the other hand, took Fikod by surprise).

OK, I think it's pretty clear that my adventurer tactics suck. :P

I should proceed to building the second fortress, but with the goblin civilization and the necromancers both at war with my civilization it is very likely that the first would instantly fall as soon as I'm not looking. So I think unretiring the first fortress and TRAINING THE MILITIA is probably the best option at this point.

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • More than meets the eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2015, 11:24:15 am »

Requesting dorf and turn slot.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2015, 11:58:29 am »

Oh ho! Would you be interested in getting the first fortress into fighting shape? It doesn't have a militia to speak of and there will most likely be goblin and/or necromancer assaults to fend off.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2015, 12:30:50 pm »

OK, I think it's pretty clear that my adventurer tactics suck. :P

I should proceed to building the second fortress, but with the goblin civilization and the necromancers both at war with my civilization it is very likely that the first would instantly fall as soon as I'm not looking. So I think unretiring the first fortress and TRAINING THE MILITIA is probably the best option at this point.
I have thought that previous adventurer found there are two necromancers in that tower and killed one and Fikod now killed the other one. So why to fear them more? Or is there usually much more then just two necromancers? I must admit I haven't met them yet but I have so far thought it is one necromancer per tower, isn't it?

On the other hand, I have seen this as your playthrough but if you are willing to offer your save and let others join the party I am interested too. Though I may have enough time for this in two three weeks, not exactly now.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2015, 12:37:26 pm »

I have thought that previous adventurer found there are two necromancers in that tower and killed one and Fikod now killed the other one. So why to fear them more? Or is there usually much more then just two necromancers? I must admit I haven't met them yet but I have so far thought it is one necromancer per tower, isn't it?
The previous adventurer found two, but there were actually about EIGHT. (Yeah, scared yet? :P )

I seem to be able to take down about one necromancer per adventurer, which isn't a great rate.

And, yes, save files are up for grabs for people who want to take turns. But if nobody does, I'll keep playing anyway. I'm waiting to see what sort of turn slot UltraMagnus is seeking, and I sincerely doubt I will be running out of turns any time soon - so it would be great to have you onboard whenever you are free.

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2015, 07:13:02 pm »

Oh ho! Would you be interested in getting the first fortress into fighting shape? It doesn't have a militia to speak of and there will most likely be goblin and/or necromancer assaults to fend off.

Necromancers? Oh dear, sounds like I'll need to plan accordingly.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2015, 03:37:17 am »

Necromancers? Oh dear, sounds like I'll need to plan accordingly.

Save file is up: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10522

The fortress is all yours to unretire. You have complete free rein to play however you like, bearing in mind the 'success' conditions of the first post. A skilled militia would be nice (as I completely failed to do that myself ;).

Take your time to choose, and name, a dorf of your own.

But wait, there's more! With each fortress turn you get adventurer turns completely free! After you retire the fortress you can take one, or several, heroes out to the local countryside to eliminate enemies of dwarfkind (wandering dangerous monsters - or if you are ambitious necromancers and goblins).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:41:47 am by ptb_ptb »

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2015, 08:38:04 pm »

Udibgidthur.

Did I reclaim the right fortress? There's only 9 dwarves here (8 of them from an expedition and 1 hostile baby).

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2015, 02:58:55 am »

Udibgidthur.

Did I reclaim the right fortress? There's only 9 dwarves here (8 of them from an expedition and 1 hostile baby).

CHeck z for the status screen. Syrupgrasping is the name. But it probably is - I think most of them got scared away to and set up a tent to the NW while I was adventuring.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2015, 03:39:01 am »

Udibgidthur.

See
She is a citizen of The Bulbous Tool. She is a member of The Wet Axe. She arrived at Udibgidthur on the 21st of Hematite in the year 1004.
(noted by jwoodward48df)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7