Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Around the world in One Hundred and Twenty Nine tiles.  (Read 15162 times)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Around the world in One Hundred and Twenty Nine tiles.
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2015, 07:04:52 pm »

Summer 1008
And it is shiny and worth 25k:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So now we have completed 1 of 2 needs to move on, we have an artifact. But our state of (born - died) count is currently at -1. Let's hope there are no more deaths, at least for a while.

We are working on making shooting range from our captured Weremammoth. In the meantime I have finally realized there are few piles of crundle and other corpses that are butcherable so Butcher Erush keeps working on them.

More migrants. Hopefully just few more and not a flock of 30. So we are now up to 44 dwarves total (3 children and 1 baby included) and at 170k wealth. Good one of the new ones is a decent miner already with a pick so he can help with enlarging of bedrooms.

4th Malachite 1008: "An animal has become a Stray War Rhinoceros". To celebrate this great news one of miners has organized a party at slate table.

Trade depot was walled and roofed. With three herbalists and summer stocks of fruits skyrocket. Working on shooting range now.

20th Galena 1008: More good news: Cerol "Roughoar" Dumatmebzuth has given birth to a girl. So our state of (born - died) count is back at 0. Now to get it to positive numbers... By the way, this Cerol is our Animal Trainer so the list of her friends includes also one half-tamed polar bear and one war rhinoceros.

Shooting range seems nearly finished. Just to link all those safety bridges to levers and haul out few last boulders.

What do you think, should it work?
This fort is also slowly going near to "successful" badge. Who would like to take the next round (adventurer or next fort)? If none just now, I will keep fortifying and later maybe go on an adventure myself. I think we really need at least one strong point before continuing onward.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2015, 05:19:16 pm »

Autumn 1008
Just five days in autumn and there is another strange mood: Oddom the Fisherworker. She is our main Weaponsmith but her skill in smithing hasn't surpassed old knowledge of fisherworking yet (max skill level of novice)... but she goes directly for our forge and asks for a log, a stone and a metal bar. In hope for a legendary weapon I order smelting of steel axe and steel crossbow, two items immigrants brought recently in. To that, Oddom adds cheery wood log, fine ... and silty clay. I try to stop her by forbiding that clay but she still begins the construction... In the meantime dwarven caraven arrives.

Well, I should have probably rather give her that clay:

And our "wealth made" counter jumped a bit. I hope it won't cause too much attention from envying neighbourghs.

Our expedition leader finally finds time to conduct a meeting with Zefon Vodcatten (nobles in military are unable to do meetings, known bug http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=778), that guy who claims to be our "outpost liaison". He tells us something named Pinescopper was conquered by somebody called The Icy Droplets. After few more questions we found out Pinescopper was a dwarven fortres. It was located far to the east of us and governed by The Trustworthy Mechanisms. In last spring 1008 The Icy Droplets, group of elves, sieged this fort, conquered it and established new government The Trustworthy Mothers. Interesting names.

Traders also rought news about curious dark clouds gathering to the north they have seen on their way to our fort. If that means there are necromancers nearby good idea we moved most of those corpse piles inside. They used to be just next to our entrance staircase, now they are stored in midlevel of our left tower.

Zefon then shows us a list of offered items and asks what we would like them to bring next time. They do not seem to have a male polar bear or a female rhinoceros on the menu so we ask for more cheese again. Let's see how many trips with tons of cheese here and back will they need to realise we are just pulling their legs. I guess they are trying to rebuild Pinescopper elsewhere because after our cheese order they ask mostly for blocks, clothes and prepared meals. Nah, we ourselves are planning to start new forts so we need all that. See you next year and bring a lot of cheese with you *nudge**nudge**wink**wink**smile*.

Seven more migrants arrive. Mystery of why-none-wants-to-haul-those-stones is solved when I find the stockpile I was hoping them to bring those stone to is set only to Economic stones and not Other ones. =.=

With the last boulders hauled out of shooting range (and after checking that last date of transformation was 14 days ago) I order building of caged human next to that restraint there. Oddom "Bellhelps" Rithusen, the creator of our last artifact, picks the cage, hauls it around the corner ... and gives birth to a boy (which causes her to stop working on that cage, of course). So we are now, after just like a year after rereclaim, a "successful" fort and thus strong enough to be able to try to colonise new lands. But we should keep training and fortifying a bit for first.

One of speardwarves is elected a mayor. I find out one of our hammerdwarves is "very weak" so I order building of gym-pump for him. Miners find tetrahedrite vein. We can now have copper for days... with bits of silver. But we can't keep using wooden logs as fuel for furnaces for too long. If we want to start smelting all this ore we need other fuel. Either we somewhere manage to find coal ... or we will need to go down to fetch some magma.

P.S.: After I have finished autumn and wrote this log I retired the fort to visit Legends and find where that Pinescopper is so I can complete this log. I have found I can visualise where different dwarven civilizations are located in embark screen. Pinescopper lays at the southernmost tip of Tower of Sockets area, far to the east of us. One big facepalm. I was wondeing why there was just 9 dwarves in save from ptb_ptb and now I am at 50. I have thought they were just killed in the meantime when xe adventured. Well, the problem is my current group is from Tower of Sockets (~Urdimsesh). Not The Bulbous Tool (~Gubellor). So that "you are a dying civilization, get more births than deaths to success" idea got lost when I abandoned Syrupgrasping and then rereclaimed it again to fix that bug with noble screen... @_@

P.P.S.: I have tried asking at Q&A but so far no response. 
:/

P.P.P.S: That wealth created can jump up for 1M if you use that artifact trap component in a trap (and removing gets wealth back down) - it gets counted in three separate categories instead of just one that way :P
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:21:12 pm by Detros »
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2015, 07:44:00 pm »

So this succession fort has two purposes then right? A. Make a ring of forts around the world next to each other and; B. As an adventurer take out any threats in the area. If that is indeed all there is too it you can count me in for a turn or two if possible.

Also, I don't recall reading about it (I may have skimmed it over) but is the tileset Phoebus?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 07:53:52 pm by xominxac »

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2015, 09:39:05 am »

So this succession fort has two purposes then right? A. Make a ring of forts around the world next to each other and; B. As an adventurer take out any threats in the area. If that is indeed all there is too it you can count me in for a turn or two if possible.

Also, I don't recall reading about it (I may have skimmed it over) but is the tileset Phoebus?
Yes. Forts should be one next to another, connected at least via roads and each of them should produce more newborns than deaths and at least one artifact before new fortress can be established. In the meantime, use adventurers to clear any dangers that appear.

Added to that was you are playing for nearly dead dwarven civilization "The Bulbous Tool" (Gubellor) which doesn't have any other cities than those player made. There is one (worldgen) dwarf claiming to be a king of this civilization and few more nobles but, according to ptb_ptbs's first turn logs, these newly built player forts are not recognizing this king as their truly leader and call him usurper of throne. So they are not willing to trade with dwarven traders from "mountainhome" (till dwarf from one of player forts is a declared a king).

This addition idea got currently lost a bit because after ptb_ptb's first turn there was a bug with inaccessibility of nobles screen upon reclaiming of the first fort. I repaired that with abandoning and rereclaiming it but I have managed to rereclaim it with other dwarven civilization, namely Tower of Sockets (Urdimsesh), which has like a dozen of forts in the NE part of world, at the NW banks of eastern sea. World map before turn 1:

If you are willing to join the party, welcome on board. There is lots of turns to offer. I am currently trying to fortify (with not the right civilization :/ ) the first fort ptb_ptb made. With much more dwarves than that dying civ had I have already got it again in state of "successful fort" (we have few artifacts and more babies than deaths) so I can retire it and offer the save to others soon. There is currently necrosiege though so I need to first deal with that. Would you like rather a fort or an adventurer as your first turn?

And yes, I think ptb_ptb is using Phoebus' graphic set. I am playing vanilla DF though. I guess use none/any graphics set you like but be ready to explain to others not familiar with it what is on the images you included in your logs.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2015, 05:24:01 am »

I'm fine with either, it might be smarter to go as an adventurer and clean up the surrounding area of various enemies but there's also the fun of doing that during fort mode :D. I guess I'll make my mind up whenever you guys are ready for me to start .

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2015, 06:40:25 am »

I'm fine with either, it might be smarter to go as an adventurer and clean up the surrounding area of various enemies but there's also the fun of doing that during fort mode :D. I guess I'll make my mind up whenever you guys are ready for me to start .
According to answer I have obtained it seems the only way to get Syrupgrasping under The Bulbous Tool is to abandon it and rereclaim. So we can just leave it so for a while and say Bulbous tool asked they brothers from far east to help them rebuilt their civilization. Once I am done with my current turn I will retire Syrupgrasping, you (or who else will be then ready) can then take a turn of adventurer clearing surroundings and once we manage to get few more nearby forts under Bulbous tool civilization they will deliver they thanks to Tower of Sockets, some player will reclaim overseeing of Syrupgrasping and this time abandon it... and then reclaim that area with Bulbous tool group. So, say, for next ten twenty years there can be one bigger fort of their cousins guarding the area while Bulbous tool dwarves are rebuilding their civilization from scratch. Does it make any sense?
(noted by jwoodward48df)

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2015, 07:10:36 am »

Abandon, adventure, reclaim, got it.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2015, 08:34:07 am »

Or the Bulbous Tool Fortress could remain a "diplomatic quarter" of the surrounding growing nation - eventually, they'll want one themselves to seal the diplomatic bond.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2015, 12:40:02 pm »

Winter 1008
Armourer is taken by a fey mood. The final product is "Ebbuskivish" (Tritelancers), a rounded steel cap which menaces with spikes of crundle bone, citrine and sand pear wood. It is worth "pesky" 58800 U.

Chaining of that human in shooting range didn't go well. Somebody chains him but he is then put in other cage and moved back to stockpile. I will probably need to have him just standing there, without a restraint. I order digging of yet another trench there and keep wondering if he will really stay there or try to jump and climb away...

Range squad seemed to be decent at Dodger skills so I have made Archery targets for them finally. But they kept on training and barrack and through some crossbow demonstrations even the new guy got few levels in shooting, without a bolt spent. I changed them to hunters and sent up to the surface to hunt reindeers before that shooting range downstairs is completed. Maybe they will even manage to get some of those deers in those few traps out there. We used to have two reindeer male calves from immigrants, during the hunt one of them grew up... and we manage to cage three more reindeer bulls. -.- Give me cows! I recall hunters and try different strategy: stationing all my military dwarves around one cow I manage (after few round around our towers) to get it in a cage.

Another girl gets born but knowing now I am not playing for a nearly death dwarven civilization it is less awesome news. Small stash with few metal bars got built in the Great hall.
Polar bear gets tamed to Trained status so I assign her to restraint and Cerol swiftly trains her into "Stray war Polar Bear". Now just to get a male polar bear.

Well, I am not sure what has happened then. It seems animal trainer Cerol maybe got once more swarmed by that pack of dogs I have been keeping at the entrance to pastures, jumped over (got pushed in?) aquifier trench instead of using nearby bridge (job cancelled: Dangerous terrain) and dropped her baby down there. So current score is -2 dead (polar bear attack, drowned), +3 newborns, together +1.

(I have somehow thought I have already posted the Winter 1008 log. Apparently no. *shrug* Well, I have currently got to summer next year so there should be another post from me soon once I upload all those images from spring fun.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 12:51:11 pm by Detros »
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2015, 09:50:52 am »

Spring 1009
I try to release the beast in shooting range but he jumps down to trench I ordered to be built for collecting arrows.

Once I recall military and order some more smoothing in the area, there is a call from the surface: undead army is sieging us! That's 5 goblin undeads, 1 necromancer and 1 goblin hammerman. And, weirdly, they are mixed with some reindeers.

Great. More undead are coming (9 more goblin and 2 more human ones) and the second necromancer appeared. But what's worse they are killing those reindeers and immediately then recalling them to their side. As I am watching what's going on I get another warning: "An ambush! Drive them out!" It seems there were more then just two necromancers: another one got captured in one of our cage traps. Well, if were-shooting range will not work we can do some arena with undead with our new "friend" here (once we are done with this siege). I position our five archers (two has just "joined") at the tower and once they see those enemies they finally go down to pickup some ammo. We have lots of food and enough copper for additional ammunition, if needed. We are lacking mostly wood and fuel for furnaces then.

I open the way into fortress to get those undead into range. One of other necromancers moves first, resurrects half of our refuse stockpile (still laying next to entrance -.-) and gets trapped. Archers finally start to shoot and two of them even get into trance. Now it seems that goblin undead party is trying to fight refuse undead party! Is there going to be a battle of necromancers?
(noted by jwoodward48df)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2015, 12:35:15 am »

I'm officially watching this thread.
I always wonder if you can connect every fort with buildings....
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2015, 01:28:11 pm »

I always wonder if you can connect every fort with buildings....
Then you are at the right place! But it will take some time. Here is the rest of spring 1009 log from Syrupgrasping:

still Spring 1009
In the meantime there is just ton of miasma in the main shaft from that drown baby but hopefully putting some floors over that trench seems to solve it.

Ground level is lost for now: several dozens of zombies are fighting one another.
Speardwarf Tosid (that red arrow in upper picture) gets overstressed (probably from those zombies fighting on the roof of trading tower) so I remove him from a squad. He asks for meeting for mayor so another one gets back to civilian dwarf. But instead of meeting that mayor goes to sleep... and when mayor gets up this speardwarf (now woodworker) goes to sleep himself. Pff. On the other side it seems our wood needs are (with lost surface) a bit satiatied with few cavern trees that started spawning in our pasture area.

Dead dog is found at the graveyard level. I guess it fell those ten levels from pastures above great hall. No attackers seem to be around, beside that undead horde continuosly fighting one another on the surface. The last necromancer is nowhere to be seen so he probably run home.
I recall all military back underground because enemies are too far to shoot at and they seem to be busy fighting among themselves. Several of my warriors have already got up to Legendary Observers, though, watching those endless fights outside. Working on a new secured access hallway to deal with it.

One of our three Herbalists start a construction of an artifact and makes a war hammer from reindeer bone, decorated with round sphalerite cabochons and cushion granite cabochons, worth like 6k. Could have been worse. Much worse. And it has a nice name:
I assign it to one recruits to get it in use. With those undead around it will surely help.

Mayor's room has been engraved: artifacts, date palms, multiple beings killed by other beings (two images of a dragon killing a dwarf nearby, one of them just 40 years ago, and one image of death of somebody called Cacame included), noble position changes. It seems the symbol of The Tower of Socket civilization is a dwarf while The Ultimate Racks group has a forgotten beast.

I order smelting of several tetrahedite stones while our storages are getting filled with dozens more of them. With legendary armorsmith and a pile of copper on hand (once those stones get smelted) it is time to get some armour for our military. I am going to try to clad few of them in copper armour, open hatch to deeps, try to secure the staircase down to magma and obtain a magma furnace because without access to surface our smelting is limited even more then before.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2015, 04:44:40 pm »

Do you expect zombies to be a nuisance to most anyone who's going to make forts around that area?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2015, 06:21:14 pm »

Do you expect zombies to be a nuisance to most anyone who's going to make forts around that area?
For some time, yes. See this map ptb_ptb made:
In the middle image yellow X shows position of Syrupgrasping, pink I position of necromancer tower. IIRC they should have an attack radius of 10. Syrupgrasping seems to be at distance of like 7. So, say, next 3-6 forts will be still in this radius, even with building to the south.

According to this adventurer report:
there are like eight necromancers in that tower, two of them now dead. Three came to Syrupgrasping, two got caught in traps. There is at least one more hiding somewhere. Either next adventurers can take some down or we can capture/kill some during sieges. Without that, several next forts will be still attackable by necromancers.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2015, 07:05:57 pm »

If nothing else I'll have a stab at taking out any leftovers in the tower when my turn comes around, unless we want to start some undead Bacon experiments of course.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7