Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.7M  (Read 80013 times)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.5P
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2017, 07:28:40 am »

i think i found a bug... in adventure mode i selected a gold dwarf as my race but now i am stuck at 0.099 speed, if you want i can check my stats and inventory and give you a list or upload the save

You might have started off with a dagger that is giant sized.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2017, 03:34:14 pm »

i think i found a bug... in adventure mode i selected a gold dwarf as my race but now i am stuck at 0.099 speed, if you want i can check my stats and inventory and give you a list or upload the save

You might have started off with a dagger that is giant sized.
sounds like top fail
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2017, 08:08:52 am »

sounds like top fail

Problem here is that the adventurer always starts off with a dagger.  The dagger however is not picked from the adventurers own entity, it is picked at random from all the daggers types that the game has; that means that if I add in a giant sized dagger for giants, then it is possible for an adventurer to start off with dagger designed to be wielded by a 20ft creature. 

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2017, 08:54:22 am »

i didn't mean it as an assault - it's stil la top fail :D
"Son, as i am sure to die soon, here have this dagger our ancestor Strangelystrong McDaggerwielder used to fight off the giants from the mountainhome."
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2017, 03:56:42 am »

Last night I had an early frost giant ambush, two squads with iron and bronze armor, huge steel swords, and master blowgunners. I had an an early military of ten dwarves fully armored with iron and armed with iron and steel swords, spears and pikes. I've never seen more equal fight in Dwarf Fortress. Eight dwarves died in battle, one got crippled, and the expedition leader stationed just far enough from giants not to aggro on them, so he just kinda walk to the remaining two giants who were bleeding out on the ground, and stabbed them to death.

A few days later he stopped being an expedition leader, and I was left with an undeletable squad composed of a dwarf to weak to carry a shield, and an armless cripple. I removed them from the squad with Dwarf Therapist, but I can't delete the squad itself.

My point is: expedition leaders shouldn't lead squads, and instead commanders should be available from the start. Actually, any solution that resolves this problem would be good.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2017, 02:42:56 pm »

had weirdness with expedition leaders before or even without any mods. their noble title conflicting with other noble titles can lead to strange things - especially when they have two jobs with "uniforms".

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 09, 2017, 04:55:49 pm »

Last night I had an early frost giant ambush, two squads with iron and bronze armor, huge steel swords, and master blowgunners. I had an an early military of ten dwarves fully armored with iron and armed with iron and steel swords, spears and pikes. I've never seen more equal fight in Dwarf Fortress. Eight dwarves died in battle, one got crippled, and the expedition leader stationed just far enough from giants not to aggro on them, so he just kinda walk to the remaining two giants who were bleeding out on the ground, and stabbed them to death.

A few days later he stopped being an expedition leader, and I was left with an undeletable squad composed of a dwarf to weak to carry a shield, and an armless cripple. I removed them from the squad with Dwarf Therapist, but I can't delete the squad itself.

My point is: expedition leaders shouldn't lead squads, and instead commanders should be available from the start. Actually, any solution that resolves this problem would be good.

Cool story in any case, I am impressed that the frost giants did not just crush you flat if they arrived so early in the game, given how horribly unbalanced they are at the moment because of the lack of size-adjustments for food consumption in world gen. 

Does it really matter that you cannot delete the squad itself if you can still remove all it's remaining members?

Commanders are not available to start with because I did not like how we had a full government set up for a group of seven dwarves to begin with, the positions of which it was advisable simply to combine into the expedition leader's hands anyway.  The expedition leader is the organizer of the group of seven dwarves, less than the population of a squad; the other dwarves are technically just guests squatting in their dig, this is why the expedition leader cannot simply clap his hands together and turn them all into an army.  Once things get to size 50 we have enough people to organize a credible election and the original expedition leader is then outranked by the new government which is legitimate government outranks the expedition leader. 

The expedition and the expedition leader does not get abolished as such, it just ceases to mean anything because they hold no formal power  over the others, while the reverse is not the case; the government once formerly set up subordinates them.  I felt this model makes more sense than the transitional dictatorship model the game uses in which the expedition leader heads over a full government already and then relinquishes power to the elected mayor.  The question is why would the expedition leader even relinquish power willingly at all?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 09, 2017, 05:47:39 pm »

The game crashes when attempting to finalize a world for me, even though I honestly created an entirely separate DF folder for this mod so it can't be a compatibility issue. Any idea what might be going wrong?

EDIT: Seems it's an issue of size. Any world smaller than large seems to work fine. Would still like to know what's behind it though on account of my preference for large worlds.

EDIT 2: Seems I was wrong again. It's civ cap rather than size that's the issue.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 06:57:57 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 10, 2017, 07:18:49 am »

The game crashes when attempting to finalize a world for me, even though I honestly created an entirely separate DF folder for this mod so it can't be a compatibility issue. Any idea what might be going wrong?

EDIT: Seems it's an issue of size. Any world smaller than large seems to work fine. Would still like to know what's behind it though on account of my preference for large worlds.

EDIT 2: Seems I was wrong again. It's civ cap rather than size that's the issue.

I have encountered similar problems myself.   :( :(

Recent vanilla releases have increased the burden on the engine per civ, which is annoying; well it actually may not be anything to do with this mod in particular but instead bugs in the vanilla game which are triggered more often when there is a larger number of civs to trigger them.  The vanilla bugs are related to artifacts, what this mod does is increase the number of artifact thieves in the game, since a lot of civilizations have that token; I intend to cull the number down a lot next release when it comes out (sometime in February?). 

If the issue is not a completely vanilla issue altogether, the most likely factor in this mod that would cause worldgen crashes would be the increased number of artifact thieves, meaning more artifact thefts and claims, hence more crashes/burdens on engine as a result.  It will not likely be the actual amount of extra mod content because even a few thousand entities and creatures would in itself be child's play for a modern computer to handle since it is just straight linear numbers and sums, of which it can do millions in a split second. 

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 10, 2017, 08:16:19 am »

Holy carp, I just realized I can also add dwarves to a squad with Dwarf Therapist. I'm such a big dumdum.

Yeah, I was really surprised to see my fortress survive a giant attack. Now I have like 300 steel and  bronze despite never smelting any ore other than hematite. Gigantic blowdarts that got scattered around make a good distraction in case a gold dragon comes to destroy every workshop in my fortress AGAIN.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 10, 2017, 11:10:21 am »

Holy carp, I just realized I can also add dwarves to a squad with Dwarf Therapist. I'm such a big dumdum.

Yeah, I was really surprised to see my fortress survive a giant attack. Now I have like 300 steel and  bronze despite never smelting any ore other than hematite. Gigantic blowdarts that got scattered around make a good distraction in case a gold dragon comes to destroy every workshop in my fortress AGAIN.

Thanks for reminding me to make dragons no longer building destroyers, the game does not like intelligent building destroyers at all; one of the lessons I learnt when I made all intelligent being buildings destroyers.  In any case I am happy that my frost giants are behaving like they should be.   :)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.5Q
« Reply #146 on: December 10, 2017, 11:19:26 am »

While going through the plant_crops txt file in order to add in words for various plants and their immediate useful products (not seeds or fruit or leaves specifically unless they are useful), I noticed that the papyrus paper tokens were missing, which is interesting because I remember adding those in earlier.  But my memory is pretty lousy so here we go again.

I also got rid of dragon building destroyer tokens since they are intelligent and not necessarily hostile (the good dragons).  Having building destroyer tokens with hostile intelligent creatures is fine, non-hostile ones is not.  All the D&D dragons are currently non-building destroying to save time, those tags will be added back in for the hostile dragons in the next release as I go through those files and 'word' them as it were. 

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 11, 2017, 01:46:10 am »

Spoiler: Giants at it again (click to show/hide)

One more thing, it's impossible to make vanilla pedestals and display cases. Can't display my legendary sawwood grates and siltstone hatch covers.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 12, 2017, 05:40:07 am »

One more thing, it's impossible to make vanilla pedestals and display cases. Can't display my legendary sawwood grates and siltstone hatch covers.

That will be because the items, while they exist in the tools file will not be in the entity files, because those items are not hard-coded to appear in entities.  Since I am going to go through those files to make the next release anyway I will delay adding those things in to 2.5 and focus upon getting the 2.6 release finished. 

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.5R
« Reply #149 on: December 13, 2017, 08:20:32 am »

I have decided that I was being very stupid in leaving the pedestals out of the mod.  This occurred to me when it struck me last night while spending 5+ hours trying to sleep that I could actually edit all the entity files instantaneously by simply opening up all the files in notepad and have the carpenter profession replaced with the carpenter profession+the new containers.  So I did so and now all the new tools are in the game, all accomplished in less than a second. 8) 8)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17