Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.7M  (Read 80021 times)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.5S
« Reply #150 on: December 25, 2017, 04:52:13 pm »

While going through the vanilla plant files I ran across a bug.  It seems I overwrote the plantfix's modified nuts in one of the files at some point, probably back in 2.5O when I updated the raws to fit with the latest DF version.  You can now process nuts from those trees properly again. 

I have done vanilla plants now and am headed off to do vanilla creatures. 

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2017, 04:20:42 pm »

Is there any particular reason why mountain and dark gnomes don't have strange moods? Or is it one of those vanilla creature fixes you said you are working on? Gnome nobles don't have requirements either, and I believe they don't make mandates or demands.

On the other hand, I just got a rakshasa mercenary. She's swinging a babby gnome axe at her babby gnome friends. Hoping to get more interesting visitors to appear.

On the other other hand, all kinds of pixies and fairies keep apearing as visitors and getting stuck mid air. And they have incomplete clothing (since they're not playable, it probably doesn't matter). Killoren mercenaries appear as thieves, I wanted to check out their entity raws, but entity_fey is a huge mess, which seems weird since all the other raws are neatly formatted and easy to read. What happened there?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2017, 04:38:46 am »

Is there any particular reason why mountain and dark gnomes don't have strange moods? Or is it one of those vanilla creature fixes you said you are working on? Gnome nobles don't have requirements either, and I believe they don't make mandates or demands.

On the other hand, I just got a rakshasa mercenary. She's swinging a babby gnome axe at her babby gnome friends. Hoping to get more interesting visitors to appear.

On the other other hand, all kinds of pixies and fairies keep apearing as visitors and getting stuck mid air. And they have incomplete clothing (since they're not playable, it probably doesn't matter). Killoren mercenaries appear as thieves, I wanted to check out their entity raws, but entity_fey is a huge mess, which seems weird since all the other raws are neatly formatted and easy to read. What happened there?
can you make sure the file you downloaded was not corrupted during download?
check the md5 checksum and compare it to one provided by GoblinCookie.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 01, 2018, 06:53:50 am »

Spoiler: entity_fey_fr (click to show/hide)
This is what the raws look like to me

There's nothing wrong with the file apparently. When I copy and paste it, the formatting looks normal. No idea what's happening, but the only problem is that it's hard to read.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 01, 2018, 08:52:07 am »

They don't have strange moods because they are not fortress dwarves and hence more level-headed (no change from vanilla there).  The lack of mandates, requirements and demands is deliberate for mountain gnomes, since they do not really believe in personal property in any case (stealing is a personal matter).  Dark gnomes I think work like (vanilla) dire goblins, they do not have an requirements except to have more than the folks that are less than they are.  That was deliberate decision, that goblins do not actually care about what they have, they care only that they have more stuff than any inferior goblins.  Mountain gnomes don't care about what stuff anyone has at all, but they still copied the fortress dwarf government system minus the nobles and made kings elected. 

That is entirely a vanilla problem I am afraid, the whole bit about flying visitors, the solution is to build a staircase for them whenever it happens then they will make their way to your fortress fine.  The entity-fey file was written in Notepad++, not regular notepad, which can cause those kind of problems with regular notepad. 

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.5T
« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2018, 09:01:11 am »

While running through the trackless wilderness with my adventurer I ran into a trio of bugs, the most 'embarrassing' of which was the bug that made it so that male deer were called does and female deers were called stags.  Or perhaps it is amusing? 

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 06, 2018, 10:21:46 am »

Some creatures have four castes instead of two, for example male and female "giant puffins", and genderless "male giant puffins" and "female giant puffins". This applies to:

Giant puffins
Giant emu
Giant gazelles
Giant penguins
Giant tigers
Impala does, giant impala does and impala women are genderless

There may be more, but I just skimmed the creature list in the arena.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2018, 11:16:38 am »

Some creatures have four castes instead of two, for example male and female "giant puffins", and genderless "male giant puffins" and "female giant puffins". This applies to:

Giant puffins
Giant emu
Giant gazelles
Giant penguins
Giant tigers
Impala does, giant impala does and impala women are genderless

There may be more, but I just skimmed the creature list in the arena.

Lots of thanks, I think this is actually the record for the shortest time between bugfixing subreleases.  I am also now running out of letters in the alphabet.

The problem in most cases (aside from the impala) was that instead of there being [SELECT_CASTE] in the giant/animal person version of the creature there was instead [CASTE] which orders it to create a new caste on top of the existing castes.  In the impala's case there were in fact no actual female impalas at all, of any size!

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.5V
« Reply #158 on: January 06, 2018, 06:21:55 pm »

While failing to generate a new world, due to whatever bug it is that does not seem to like (large civilization numbers?) I noticed that the error log reported problems with the star metal substance (the prerequisite for +5 metals) and with the giant penguins, which has now been fixed.  I still have not been able to generate a world even with the new version but I have hit bedtime. 

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.5W
« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2018, 11:32:57 am »

The danger with playing DF is that you end spotting bugs.  From my companions chasing after random capybaras in an annoying way I learnt that capybaras were for some reason missing the invaluable [BENIGN] tag.  This is now in and capybara life expectancy is..... increased.   ;)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.5X
« Reply #160 on: January 13, 2018, 04:10:44 pm »

I found out when one of my companions lunged at a horseshoe crab that was just minding it's own buisiness that horshoe crabs were not actually properly defined as [BENIGN].  The horseshoe crab I think is okay because I went into travel mode as soon my companion sent it flying, I think it is okay; not that I will ever know.   :)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2018, 05:18:00 pm »

I like how badly D&D monsters translate into Dwarf Fortress. I just observed an advespa being pummeled to death by my defender captain... with a wooden crutch and a wooden shield. In the end a shield bash crushed its head. Malebranche are nasty though.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 14, 2018, 05:34:46 am »

I like how badly D&D monsters translate into Dwarf Fortress. I just observed an advespa being pummeled to death by my defender captain... with a wooden crutch and a wooden shield. In the end a shield bash crushed its head. Malebranche are nasty though.
its truely difficult as D&D rules and character feats, attributes etc. are already a way of bypassing what df does (in most cases) directly: a physical calculation of "who does what why when and what outcome does it cause".

but i love it :)
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.5Y
« Reply #163 on: January 14, 2018, 12:43:42 pm »

While going through the large-temperate file for the next full version of this mod, I spotted that pandas were missing the essential [BENIGN] tag that keeps animals from being lunged at by companions for no reason whatsoever.  So in the interests of saving innocent pandas 2.5Y came to being.

In order to save time I just overloaded 2.5s version of that file with 2.6s version.  This allows me to showcase one of the new changes I am making aside from, prey animals I realised needed a massive stat boost to endurance and the dodge skill for when people sneak up on them.  This is because at the moment hunting is far too easy, benign prey animals can often be driven until they collapse from exhaustion with no real difficulty just by exploiting the flawed way benign animals currently flee from the player.  Also by exploiting the lack of application of the various other senses (hearing, smell) that actual prey animals use to detect predators it is often rather easy to sneak up on them anyway, this is added to the problem that animals in groups do not communicate the presence of a potential predator to each-other and run away as individuals rather than as a group.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.5Z
« Reply #164 on: January 25, 2018, 03:58:07 pm »

I can now boast of having got to the end of the alphabet for bug fixing subreleases for this release!  ;D This subrelease sees innocent wolverines no longer being clobbered by Toady One's mindless companion adventurers (they remind me of rabid dogs with no leashes!).  Added to that is a fix to the creature variation files to ensure that no animal people get to benefit from the boosted stats and skilled of their animal 'ancestors'. 

Waiting patiently for Toady to add leashes to tie to our companions in adventure mode..... :) ;)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17