Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.7M  (Read 80063 times)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.4G
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2016, 09:02:54 am »

Here comes another subrelease that was not supposed to happen.  When I updated Last Dwarves raw files in the savegame raw folder all my visitors all started to stop doing anything other than toppling statues and smashing doors.  It turns up that I was correct to have removed [BUILDING_DESTROYER] the first time round, there is an AI bug in the game that causing visitors to stop normal functioning and start wrecking things for no reason.  The good thing is that this problem is entirely fixable in old saves, all you have to do is overwrite the creature files and everything will be fixed, this is a good news for the Last Dwarves story since I have done that already.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.4G
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2017, 06:40:22 am »

This mod is *not* abandoned.  I have just been having a very hard time making the next version, running into bugs and file corruption seemingly constantly and spending an inordinate amount of time trying and failing to fix them.  I have been forced to fall back onto 2.4, getting rid of much of the progress I have made so far since it seems that file corruption is pretty much overrun everything I have done so far in several months.  Well actually hopefully not everything, I will in a set of calculated risks back-copy certain auxiliary content that I hope is less likely to be corrupted than the core entity files which are all going to have to be recreated from scratch. 

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.5A
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2017, 03:47:52 pm »

So here we are at long last, version 2.5. I went through what felt like coding hell with endless bugs and file corruption to get here but we are here.   :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)

Basically what this mostly does is adds dwarves of the D&D/Forgotten variety to the game.  While a few of these dwarves are rather similar to Toady One's existing dwarves but a lot are not, that however is a good thing since it allows them to be easily made playable. The more advanced among these dwarves have access to +1/2/3/4/5 metals as do certain existing creatures, but the vanilla dwarves do not have this ability at all, but in converse they can extract adamantine strands which the new dwarves cannot do. The only folks that can make both adamantine weapons and enchanted ones are rock gnomes/lantan gnomes because they basically filch every tech they can from everyone if it is at all feasible.

Also what this mod release also does is add in extra problematic fellows known as giants.  They are playable in adventure mode but at the moment this is the equivalent of playing story mode in most games, as the game presently understands only the benefits of being 26 feet tall but none of the drawbacks (needing extra food or drink, turning to pulp after a short fall, not being able to squeeze into small crevices).  To make playing a giant more challenging I have increased the size of vanilla giants to be more king kong sized to present a greater challenge to giant adventurers.  Since the smaller giants I added are about the size of vanilla giants uncuriously enough this leaves players in the unedifying position of being invadable by whole armies of giants, but we have magical weapons now to kill them with and life is cheap in DF.  More of a problem is that the game does not understand how much giants eat in worldgen, so the more advanced giants that have farming (cloud and storm giants) are pretty out of control biomass wise; but not much I can do without breaking radically with lore.

The immediate future plans are *not* to get to work making elves.  I do not wish to follow frankly in the devs footsteps, rushing into making a ton of new content while leaving behind me a whole ton of unpolished, buggy and half-baked content behind me. Law of diminishing returns means that adding elves would add less value to the mod than polishing the existing content, so the idea is for 2.6 to be a generic miscellaneous release based upon improving existing content, creatures and entities mostly.  One idea however I had is to add evolutionary ancestors to existing native creatures, along the lines of animal people, so that will probably dominate the next release content wise.  2.7 will be definitely elves and unless Knight Otu makes a whole raft of new direforged content requiring a whole release to itself 2.8 will see the first realms human culture.  2.9 will see a batch more human cultures and finally the much longed for MANUAL!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2017, 09:43:09 am »

How much effort would it take to make the gnomes a real separate race instead of a "dwarf-subrace"?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.5B
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2017, 03:27:48 pm »

Another day, another subrelease: as seems to happen a lot with releases.

The problem was that the bigger new giants are actually larger than even the vanilla megabeasts, let alone the semimegabeasts.  For some reason I resized the vanilla giants but forgot about those other beasties.  That was causing the Age of Legends to come far earlier than it 'should' given my parameters, aka around Yr90 rather than around Yr200 if at all, because the new giant' adventurers were simply clobbering them all effortlessly.  That is fixed now, although the new megabeasts are going to be far more deadly than the original game ones (unfortunately?).

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2017, 03:28:24 pm »

How much effort would it take to make the gnomes a real separate race instead of a "dwarf-subrace"?

:-\ :-\  :-\ What do you mean by that?  :-\ :-\ :-\

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2017, 06:45:51 pm »

:-\ :-\  :-\ What do you mean by that?  :-\ :-\ :-\
in one of the older notes it said the gnomes were just some subfamily of dwarves so you couldn't know which you played without using legends mode to find out beforehand and then chosing the correct clan.
maybe you got that fixed already and it just never got changed in the releasenotes.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2017, 10:51:51 am »

in one of the older notes it said the gnomes were just some subfamily of dwarves so you couldn't know which you played without using legends mode to find out beforehand and then chosing the correct clan.
maybe you got that fixed already and it just never got changed in the releasenotes.

Lots of things that get fixed do not get mentioned in releasenotes because I have a poor memory and forget things constantly.

I think you are talking about mountain gnomes (the vanilla ones) and I did say that because at one point I simply copied the vanilla dwarf entity and changed it to use mountain gnomes. That was in early days when I modified all the weapons to have no minimum size requirements so that mountain gnomes would work.  Mountain gnomes are now far more distinct, with their own weapons sized for their use and their own name list.  They use the same positions as the dwarves do but have changed them to fit their far more egalitarian and democratic nature, basically they have no land holder positions, no hammerers because they have no death penalty and their kings are elected rather than hereditary.  Also nobody has any special room requirements because they are basically not into to personally owning stuff.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2017, 05:41:32 pm »

cool, now i only need to get this working correctly with deactivated aquifers and some graphic options...

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2017, 12:43:48 pm »

The immediate future plans are *not* to get to work making elves.
At first I was like  :'( :'( :'( :'(

2.7 will be definitely elves
But then, I was more like  :-\ ??? :)

cool, now i only need to get this working correctly with deactivated aquifers and some graphic options...
You could probably drop this mod's raws into the LNP or something like it to get you some base line graphics. There are tilesets for gnomes, elves, etc out there, a lot of them thanks to Meph's MW mod, but I couldn't say whether they'd be compatible.

As for the aquifers, all you'd need to do is delete the aquifer tags from a few files for the various stone types. Easy enough to do with a find and replace function in a standard text editor.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2017, 01:33:06 pm »

So i can't just drop this to the LNPreplacing the data folder and just start LNP?
My new worlds do contain the new races, but somehow most mechanics just run as usual...
i'm playing a dorfen civ btw.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2017, 12:56:28 pm »

Many apologies to all, it seems I had inadventantly made all the new giants and dwarves NAKED! The problem is that clothing requires a defined probability in the entity file in order to appear, which is unlike weaponry and as a result of this I came across naked giants.  I had earlier dismissed it as part of another bug but it was not, hence I was forced to spend some time copying :COMMON into a lot of entities over and over.  I also gave the storm giants properly sized weapons as I went.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.5D
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2017, 05:29:15 pm »

I have released yet another subrelease in order to fix some bugs with giants that were showing up in the bug tracker.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.5E
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2017, 08:38:22 am »

Playtesting continues to be fruitful, if frustrating.  It turned out I have failed to give the gold dwarves all the clothes they were supposed to have back in 2.5C, that is now fixed in a new subrelease.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.5F
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2017, 04:31:02 pm »

I was having problem with the completion of the generations for high-end worlds, by which I was having crashes upon the completion of world generation.  I tracked the problem down (I hope) to a bug I accidentally added during renaming the vanilla minotaur to giant minotaur during this release; basically I renamed the lair hunter txt. accidentally by using the mass rename function of Notepad++.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17