Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lord Of The Gremlins  (Read 2215 times)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Lord Of The Gremlins
« on: January 24, 2015, 01:53:06 pm »

So I was playing as an orc I had modded in because i had heard attacks were too uncommon in standard dwarf fortress, and I had been tasked with killing off a cave of kobolds. I looked at legendsviewer and there was just the standard bunch of cave swallows and bats, with only four kobolds and five gremlins. After arriving I found a gremlin in the cave entrance. I had forgotten they could talk and was quite surprised when he did. I mostly ignored him though and killed the three kobolds I could find. Afterwards though I found the other four gremlins, and after attempting to get some to yield went back to the first one and claimed the site for myself then requested he join me. He surprisingly did and is now following me outside of the cave. So, I have a few questions about my new position as lord of five random gremlins in a cave.
1.Can you give smaller creatures armor of your size that they can equip? I know in fortress mode that even if you have a caste of creature five times bigger than the others they can still equip the same armor, so I was wondering if there was any way I could give gremlins armor.
2.I checked what weapons gremlins could potentially use and it's spears, blowguns, and large daggers. So does anybody know how to get blowguns or large daggers? I know kobolds and goblins make large daggers, and animal people make blowguns, but I don't know how to find animal people or goblin weapon stores.
3.What should I do with my gremlin army once it's assembled? I know it'll be far worse than a normal army, but being Lord Of The Gremlins seems like a fun idea to me, so I want to do it anyway. Maybe I could conquer a human city and have my gremlins be my hearthspeople then retire? I'm not really sure.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Lord Of The Gremlins
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 09:09:30 pm »

1 I wouldnt think you can give large armor for tiny guys to wear.
2 any old boning knife or cleaver should work. Snakemen have blowguns and theyl trade one for a bagfull of dirt. They live underground.
3 educate them on the finerys of the world for the taverns update, I mean come on cute gremlins playing flutes and mandolins while you get as dronk as a dark gnome. Gots ta be funny.
But if you want to be boring. Kill all the orcs and humans so you are the biggest humaniod and revel in the worship.
4 yes my advice is subpar but I often just kill things so a nice musical number really soothes my deep emotional regret of killing those poor boogiemen
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 01:02:57 pm »

1 I wouldnt think you can give large armor for tiny guys to wear.
2 any old boning knife or cleaver should work. Snakemen have blowguns and theyl trade one for a bagfull of dirt. They live underground.
3 educate them on the finerys of the world for the taverns update, I mean come on cute gremlins playing flutes and mandolins while you get as dronk as a dark gnome. Gots ta be funny.
But if you want to be boring. Kill all the orcs and humans so you are the biggest humaniod and revel in the worship.
4 yes my advice is subpar but I often just kill things so a nice musical number really soothes my deep emotional regret of killing those poor boogiemen
How do I find snakemen though? I know they're in the caverns, but they're not in every cavern and it's dangerous to go wondering large distances in the caverns.
While I wait for responses I've decided to see if I can manage to officially own the cave and get as many gremlins to follow me as I can. So far I think I killed one of the gremlins yesterday, I've gotten two to follow me, and one doesn't want to. I've also killed three kobolds so there's one gremlin and one kobold that I can't find somewhere in this cavern hiding from me. In other news my two gremlins are having some really boring conversations with eachother
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:18:05 pm by vjmdhzgr »
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 01:58:15 pm »

I retired the adventurer, then started a new one to get the time to progress two weeks, retired them and re-exported the legends data for legendsviewer. As it is now the population of the cave is a bunch of bats and cave swallows, 1 kobold, 2 gremlins outcasts, and 1 orc outcast. So as far as legends goes I'm considered a bandit harassing the local site population of 1 kobold. I guess the other two gremlins left because there was a huge bandit in full iron armor harassing them. Immediately after typing this I moved my adventurer slightly and found a kobold sitting on top of a tree. I tried talking, but since kobolds don't talk I just claimed the site and cut his head off. I'm still not counted as the leader of the site though, so I'll continue my investigations.

UPDATE:I finally decided to abandon the idea of ruling the cave, it seems like it's probably impossible. Instead I've decided to conquer a city. First though, I need to make these two gremlins a real army. Unfortunately while I was investigating I got attacked by a giant bat and lost one of my gremlins. Not lost as in he died, just, I can't find him. I searched everywhere I just can't find anything. As a result I decided to search legendsviewer for any caves that contain gremlins. In the whol medium sized world with (I think) more caves than usual, there were three more caves with gremlins in them. The farthest away had two, the nearest one had four, and one that's pretty far away, but closer to the nearest one had five gremlins. So if I go to those two caves I can get a total of ten gremlins, and if I really want more I could go to the opposite side of the world to get two more. My only other option is to search the caverns. I'll probably have to search the caverns for blowguns eventually if I want any ranged gremlins (though I'd have trouble getting ammo so it might not be worth it), but it'll be very dangerous and i'm not guaranteed to find gremlins or animal people. I'll start on my journey to the two nearer caves and wait for any responses.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 02:41:31 pm by vjmdhzgr »

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 03:59:32 pm »

An edit to the raws to make a gremlin fort to make gremlin armor could be the way to go if you dont mind regening q world.
You may also have to change the weapon size for the gremlins to use a pickaxe or make a little version for them
Im doing something similar by making a demigod human adventurer and making a human fort so he moves into it and becomes the leader. If any of the men catch him feeding they will go straight to jail. Yes I know... its a lovely system
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.