Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quality taverns attract local Night Trolls  (Read 1387 times)

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quality taverns attract local Night Trolls
« on: January 24, 2015, 04:28:33 pm »

Night creatures are obviously on the backburner right now, but the existing framework for megabeast invasions should be used to let better taverns more likely to attract local Night Trolls. It would be kind of a Beowulf thing, a tavern becomes well known enough to bring the ire of cave monsters. For a typical fort with a prepared military this will just be a little extra fun until abductions during play work. It wouldn't be quite like having to slay a dragon but it'll still test small armies or ones that aren't in all iron or steel. Or depending on how low the reputation needs to be set, or how many night trolls are present it can be a regular threat to keep things interesting.

For people building exclusively tavern forts, before or after the starting scenarios are in, this will offer occasional supernatural challenges that encourage hiring mercenaries, without making you deal with serious forgotten beast monsters all the time.

This could get expanded when night creatures are the focus again, but in the mean time they'd offer a smoother difficulty curve for locations that wouldn't realistically be seeing armies even if they were successful by tavern standards.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
Re: Quality taverns attract local Night Trolls
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 08:20:34 pm »

I like it.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 05:11:35 pm »

This is a good suggestion. It makes me wonder if there's other challenges that could be caused by different fortress build-ups, e.g. having your farms raided by beastmen.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 05:12:37 pm »

I want night trolls to attempt abductions from your fort.
  They seem most to go after nobles, though.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 05:29:12 pm »

I imagine farms are eventually going to be raided by a starving populace once that kind of thing is tracked. But there are a lot of other kinds of forts going in with starting scenarios, so it would be good to have a lot more variation.

I'd imagine just generalizing an invading bandit army as a raid for supplies if they go after a fort planned as a tavern, and a prison break if they attack or prison fort, something like that, would be cool even if invaders didn't necessarily understand that as what they were doing yet. Then a group of animal people attacking a place could have some context even if they didn't have a complicated diplomatic relationship between entities right away. Or exact knowledge of your site's numbers even, they'd just know taverns have food.

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 07:00:48 pm »

Right now there isn't night and day in fortress mode which would raise the question of whether nights trolls should attack a fort in the daytime and whether that would ruin the idea. I don't think it would but there is something definitively un-nightrolly about running up and bashing down the door of a fortress. As other people have mentioned maybe it could lurk on the edges of the map and attack lonesome dwarves or attempt an abduction.

However most night trolls are a step above goblins in terms of combat difficulty with some even being as difficult as titans or megabeasts. I don't think that the toughness of night-trolls are kept track of by the system that generates them but unless there was a way to only have lower level trolls attack at first then maybe night-troll harassment of forts should start later in the game where the player might have a chance to defeat them. Maybe after the level where a squad of 10-15 goblins shows up but before seiges and megabeasts/titans do.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 09:52:16 am »

So, it s a win-win situation? :D
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 10:03:02 am »

Taverns are sure to attract all kinds. Why not have a group of bandits kidnap your nobles anyway and demand ransom?

I don't make deals with criminals.

vache

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 01:03:20 pm »

But then what happens when your grandmaster weaponsmith decides to emigrate away because he no longer feels safe?

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 11:27:56 am »

Kidnap him back.

Nicolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 05:00:44 pm »

Signed. They should also attract vampires as patrons for reasons of gothyc broodinge

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 01:59:10 pm »

There are a surprisingly lack of night trolls in fortress mode, so +1 for sure.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.