Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: From Peasant to Dark Lord - Adventure mode challenge.  (Read 7244 times)

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
From Peasant to Dark Lord - Adventure mode challenge.
« on: January 24, 2015, 05:58:38 pm »

From Peasant to Dark Lord

The idea of this challenge is to generate a world, start an adventurer playthrough and take over each settlement possible.

The rules:

*Your adventurer must start as a peasant
*The world size doesn't matters if the civ count is very high, natural savagery low and number of beasts at least medium
*Excluded sites: tombs, vaults, necromancer towers, elven sites, dwarven sites
*Modded races are allowed if they don't make the playthrough too easy

Post your progress in this thread, or a link to it if you use another site.

I have genned a medium world with medium number of civs, short story and very high number of beasts. I hope for !!FUN!!
This is where the story begins:

1. Dippedoutrage and necromancer paranoia.
http://imgur.com/a/1pas3#0

Taken two more settlements: Baldrim and Chuckroared. Died in an ambush on the way to third hamlet (no screenshots from battle, only log).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[EDIT] Changed the rules a bit.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 02:33:06 pm by Dark One »

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From Peasant to Dark Lord - Adventure mode challenge.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 07:22:22 am »

This is cool but the problem is you can't actually claim more than one site under one group. And iirc she you retire you automatically loose your holdings. Still I'm going to try this, I usually play peasant anyway...

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 09:56:38 am »

Yes, the system is still quite limited and needs some improvements, but this doesn't means we can't try. Once some arcs woud get fully implemented, adventurer's group could rule the whole world. The new lord could decide where to send troops, etc. What we have now should be enough for this challenge.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 10:42:36 am »

Yes, the system is still quite limited and needs some improvements, but this doesn't means we can't try. Once some arcs woud get fully implemented, adventurer's group could rule the whole world. The new lord could decide where to send troops, etc. What we have now should be enough for this challenge.

So just to clarify the rules a little, any town/hamlet/fortress/hillock/elven tree-house you visit must be claimed? Does this mean you just shout "I claim this shit!" or do you actually have to generate the "Dark Lord is Lord of this shit" message?

For the latter, how do you actually do that? Sometimes its very simple (like to claim a keep/mead hall, you just kill/recruit everyone inside) but other times it isn't (how do you conquer hamelts/towns for example, since killing everyone would simply take too long?)

Also could you clarify rules for insurrections (do those even work? I've never tried it) and finally, can you recruit companions or is this supposed to be solo? (No companions means constant bogyman threat)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 11:43:26 am »

So just to clarify the rules a little, any town/hamlet/fortress/hillock/elven tree-house you visit must be claimed? Does this mean you just shout "I claim this shit!" or do you actually have to generate the "Dark Lord is Lord of this shit" message?

For the latter, how do you actually do that? Sometimes its very simple (like to claim a keep/mead hall, you just kill/recruit everyone inside) but other times it isn't (how do you conquer hamelts/towns for example, since killing everyone would simply take too long?)

Also could you clarify rules for insurrections (do those even work? I've never tried it) and finally, can you recruit companions or is this supposed to be solo? (No companions means constant bogyman threat)
When you claim a mead hall you claim the whole town, and you only need to kill the leader, not the soldiers (though the soldiers might try to kill you). Goblins have lords like humans do, thought I've tried claiming the site and killing the lord recently and it didn't work so I'm not sure how to claim those sites. I think dark fortresses specifically, but not dark pits you need to enter the main tower where the demon would normally be to successfully claim the site. Elves don't have leaders for individual sites which means they'll either be very easy, or impossible to claim we'll have to find out. Dwarves are a bit difficult. They have both an elected sit eleader, and a hereditary site leader and from my experiences with mods where they had both of those in hamlets, the mayor ended up in the mead hall, but the lord ended up some random place in the town and it was killing the lord that let me control the site. So I'd guess that for dwarves you need to find the baron/count/duke. As for how insurrections work, it's unlikely that people will accept an insurrection request as it's only when they dislike the local government. I believe when you succeed you become the leader of the old governing group of that site rather than the lord of your own group.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 12:06:32 pm »

Each town/hamlet/fortress/hillock/elven tree-house (if elven tree-houses have leaders) you visit must be claimed. Claim site the usuall way (eg. shout out that you claim the site, kill the leader - site is yours). I tried to start the insurrection a few times, but couldn't find anyone willing to join me. You can have as many companions as you want.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:23:16 pm by Dark One »

Vozhban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 07:39:50 pm »

Elves don't have leaders for individual sites which means they'll either be very easy, or impossible to claim we'll have to find out.

I've just finished my attemts to conquer an elven civ. According to legends mode, all three nobles(druid, princess, queen) were in one site. When I came there as adventurer, I found an enourmous retreat with fuckload of ugly trees and piles of elves hiding among the leaves. I found the queen in ten minutes on a Home Tree(or something like that). After tossing her down that tree, I've spent 3 hours searching for other nobles. And found noone. I retired my adventurer and checked in the Legends. The princess became a new queen, and a new princess was appointed. Description said they all settled in that site, but i never managed to find any of them, but the initial queen.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 07:49:16 pm »

Elves don't have leaders for individual sites which means they'll either be very easy, or impossible to claim we'll have to find out.

I've just finished my attemts to conquer an elven civ. According to legends mode, all three nobles(druid, princess, queen) were in one site. When I came there as adventurer, I found an enourmous retreat with fuckload of ugly trees and piles of elves hiding among the leaves. I found the queen in ten minutes on a Home Tree(or something like that). After tossing her down that tree, I've spent 3 hours searching for other nobles. And found noone. I retired my adventurer and checked in the Legends. The princess became a new queen, and a new princess was appointed. Description said they all settled in that site, but i never managed to find any of them, but the initial queen.
I said leaders for individual sites. They do have civilization leaders, but those are different. Also I can confirm it's possible to find the other nobles, it's just difficult because elf sites are just a bunch of trees with elves sitting in them.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 04:14:35 pm »

I said leaders for individual sites. They do have civilization leaders, but those are different. Also I can confirm it's possible to find the other nobles, it's just difficult because elf sites are just a bunch of trees with elves sitting in them.

If finding nobles of elven sites is too difficult, I think they should be excluded like necromancer towers etc.

Today claimings: 2

Made a human peasant without any weapon skill, but competent at dodging. Even with dabbling throwing, and dabbling spearman nobles weren't a big deal. Lord of the first site died when I threw a large copper dagger at him. Lady of the second site passed from pain when I threw a dagger at her, but I got distracted by axeman. When I dealt with her bodyguard, I stabbed her to death with spear.

Only the axeman that guarded the lady from second site was a threat, but I've got a lucky throw. Also a one hit kill with the slicing knife I've found in the body of the first sites lord.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 02:27:43 am »

I can't remember exactly how, but you can try to demand tribute from site leaders.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 01:50:04 pm »

From the demands/requests menu. You can also use said menu to make people adopt your child followers.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 02:34:53 am »

You can also use said menu to make people adopt your child followers.
The more you know, eh?
thincake

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 10:36:42 pm »

In what worldly time period would this actually be possible? Just walking up to the lord of a castle and stabbing him in the face to claim the land?
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 11:08:11 pm »

In what worldly time period would this actually be possible? Just walking up to the lord of a castle and stabbing him in the face to claim the land?
Yep!

Also, I vote that dorf civs should be excluded from the challenge, too. Finding true dorf monarchs is nigh impossible.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 02:38:29 pm »

Also, I vote that dorf civs should be excluded from the challenge, too. Finding true dorf monarchs is nigh impossible.

Done. Dorf and elven civs excluded due to low chance of finding site leaders, and site complexity (navigating through the fortresses, finding the right tree house amongst the many). What about these sites?

*lairs
*dark pits
*dark fortresses
*labirynths
*shrines

I'll report my last try soon.
Pages: [1] 2