Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upper back pain  (Read 1190 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Upper back pain
« on: January 26, 2015, 06:05:47 pm »

Well, I know the internet is the worst place to go for medical advice, but I'm giving it a shot anyway.

Over the past year or two I've been having a lot of days where my back/spine is getting pretty sore.  It seems to slowly be getting worse, and is probably posture related.  Does anybody have any advice on fixing or preventing future back-pain, or am I just fast-tracking my way to old-age?   :P

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Upper back pain
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 08:07:57 pm »

Disclaimer; I'm not a doctor. this is just what I would try first.

Posture is really important for your back. If you hunch forward a lot, stretch your chest muscles and try to keep your shoulders in a confident broad position. Also, I'm pretty sure sleeping on a hard surface would help wonders. Sleeping on the floor keeps some basic bad pasture away, and also helps exercise your back. Soft bedding at best atrophies your muscles. At worst it actually bends it out of shape.

Don't discount seeing a doctor, physical therapist, or even a chiropractor. I don't like the last one since they also tend to push pseudo science alternative medicine.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 08:10:04 pm »

Exercise - some pretty simple ones help a LOT.  You want "core" exercises, look up "plank" - front plank, side plank, leg lifts, pushups, and "superman" (lay on your stomach and lift arms and legs).   And a bunch of others, look up "exercises for back pain" and such.

But really, prudent thing is to go get it checked out by a doctor in case it's not just weak muscles/bad posture (although it PROBABLY is - but come on, it's your freakin spine, fuck that up and you'll be in a wheelchair lucky if you can even use your arms).

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 11:33:48 am »

Hmm, okay thanks!  I'll try the exercise thing first.  The bed thing is a bit harder, because my apartment is already cramped and there isn't really space for me to sleep other than the bed.  My bed isn't super-soft though, so it might be okay.

If it gets any worse, I'll see a doctor.  I'm a bit paranoid about going to a chiropractor though, because of the whole pseudo-science thing.  I'm sure some are great, but I have no way of knowing which are quacks and which are legit.  And I'd hate for a quack to do permanent damage to my back.  :)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 04:45:44 pm »

I can confirm that excercise helps. There's a routine called the rotisserie (or something like that) which combines what gimlet listed in a nice and relatively short exercise. You just need some room on the floor to do it and less than ten minutes each day.

Also if you are able to, you can try and find some plywood in a hardware store or someplace similar and place that under your mattress, that's enough to make a bed harder. Unless you already have a board under the mattress in which case I got nothing.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 04:50:07 pm »

I can confirm that excercise helps. There's a routine called the rotisserie (or something like that) which combines what gimlet listed in a nice and relatively short exercise. You just need some room on the floor to do it and less than ten minutes each day.

Also if you are able to, you can try and find some plywood in a hardware store or someplace similar and place that under your mattress, that's enough to make a bed harder. Unless you already have a board under the mattress in which case I got nothing.

Its got wood planks under the mattress, if that counts.  Its a pretty terrible bed, not one of them nice ones with the bedsprings and such.  Just a mattress on a frame.   :P 

I'll check out that rotisserie thing though, thanks!

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 06:18:39 pm »

Exercise advice. Start lifting weights or doing a bodyweight routine on a regular basis. Sitting is a problem and pain can be caused by your muscles getting tired.

Planks, dips and push ups are easy ways to build strength. I do them to help with my running posture.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 06:22:09 pm »

When that spot between my shoulder blades starts bothering me, either through posture or stress, I try to sit upright. I arch my lower back a little, roll my shoulders back and try to sit without leaning back in my chair.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:55:03 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 06:30:35 pm »

I've started doing some pushups nightly. 

Do planks actually help?  They look sort of spine-destroying, but I don't really know.

Edit:  Also, looking up exercise info on the internet seems almost useless.  Half the sites say something is great, the other half say something is bad.  I get the feeling that there is a lot of misinformation, but I don't really know how to tell the myths from facts...  Its a little frustrating.    :-X
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:34:05 pm by Levi »

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 02:20:03 am »

So my physical therapist has given me a few exercises for my back. Here's a list to google. You might also want to use a wall for support when doing side planks.

There is the typical long plank, where you line up like you are going to do a push up but use your forearms to support yourself.
Side planks for obliques.
There are supermans (these are a bitch.)
Back arches, so you lie flat on your back with your knees bent. Then raise your back up so that it is flat, using your shoulders and neck as support.
Chair dips are also nice, where you use a chair as support and have your legs stretch out. Works your triceps (coming from a guy with a tiny torso and super meaty legs :P)

Since you are a new to this, focus on doing short holds (5-10 sec) and multiple reps (5-10). I myself hold positions for 30-60 sec and do about 3-5 reps.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~