Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42

Author Topic: The Dark Star (Space game) [Who are "Them?"]  (Read 51621 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
The Dark Star (Space game) [Who are "Them?"]
« on: January 24, 2015, 09:11:30 pm »

Starting on page 13 (for standard ppp)

For as long as anyone can remember, the Dark Star (as some call it) has puzzled people. An enormous event horizon, visible as a dark circle on the starry background, yet not exhibiting nearly as much gravity as a black hole of that size should. Yet, consistent with a singularity, nothing that has ventured beyond that event horizon has ever been heard from again. Some call it mad, but an expedition is being put together to go beyond the event horizon and see what lies within. This is where you come in.

Setting
The setting leans towards the "hard" side of the sci-fi scale, with the only major genre convention taken being FTL. The FTL method in this setting requires a large drive (about 20m). Ships need to accelerate to relativistic speeds before they can use it, which requires significant fuel use and months of acceleration, after which they can "jump" long distances in an instant. Coming out the other side, they must decelerate back to orbital velocity, which takes about as long. As such, ships must be large enough to carry the necessary drive, engines, and fuel to be FTL capable, and so many ships are designed only to move around within a given system.

Explored space consists of a large chunk of an arm of a spiral galaxy. Considering every known space-faring entity combined, this includes about 3 billion stars. As the purpose of this game is to venture into the unknown, though, the specific details of that space aren't that relevant, since the only races present from that space are the player-defined ones represented on the ship. Any pre-existing inter-species/entity politics are thus the player's choice. It should be noted that, in order to encourage creativity during character creation, there are no Earthlings. No humans, altered humans, uplifted Earth species, or sentient machines created by any of the above.

However, one race is worth highlighting: there exists a race who operates a vast fleet of FTL "Ferries" that carry non-FTL ships (or ships wishing to save fuel) between star systems. Because of the economic dominance this affords them, their standardized system of measurement is widely known and accepted.
Units of measurement: For completeness sake, so you don't have to worry about these too much if you don't want to. Of note are the Span (defined as the average distance between their home planet and their home star; roughly equivalent to 1.24 AU) the Cycle (how long it takes their home planet to complete 1 orbit, roughly equivalent to 1.82 years) and their Meter (defined as the measured wavelength of one of their often-used radio frequencies in a vacuum, almost exactly 1.1 meters). From these we get derivations like the Lightcycle, which is the distance covered by light in 1 cycle. By Earth standards, their "day" lasts about 38.35 hours, with 416 of them to one Cycle.

Ship
The Aelius, purpose-built by several entities for this very mission.

Signups

Though widely viewed as a suicide mission, those funding (and participating in) the expedition believe otherwise: however, they still see it as pretty dangerous, and no one knows what to expect on the other side. As such, the ship is equipped to be versatile, adaptable, and efficient, and carries a small crew, since they don't want to risk loosing too many lives. However, as a scientific expedition, facing a situation requiring unknown capabilities, they do not send worthless cannon fodder: everyone on board is highly qualified in some way. They most likely volunteered (though your reason for joining may be otherwise).

I'll need a description of your species (people may choose to play as a species defined by another player if they don't want to make their own), a personal description of the individual you will be playing as, and their skills/capabilites. Be as detailed as you want, just remember: details from what they are (e.g. their species can spit acid/breathe methane) are important, but details on who they are (the skills they have, the role they serve for the mission, their personality) are more important.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 06:28:23 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Star (Space game) [0/12]
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 09:12:06 pm »

Character sheets, thanks to Tiruin for compiling them!

Spoiler: LuckyKobold//Jiggle (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Arcvasti // Cathelyn (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dorsidwarf // Bringer (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 03:36:15 pm by HugoLuman »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 09:12:23 pm »

Reserved

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 09:13:31 pm »

YEEESSSS!!

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)

Might change the fluff. Doesn't really make sense as of yet.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:39:55 pm by Pencil_Art »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 09:19:55 pm »

Soooo copypaste?

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 09:21:15 pm »

I assume so.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 09:21:34 pm »

Spoiler: Race (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Actual Character (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

The Dark Star is Here!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:43:33 pm by LuckyKobold »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 09:25:25 pm »

Spoiler: Race (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Actual Character (click to show/hide)

Wut.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 09:28:00 pm »

Oops, I'll fix it!

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 09:31:39 pm »

I Fixed It!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 09:39:05 pm »

LK, that character description is the species description again. Also, we've discussed that he needs to be more skilled than a janitor. The ship can clean itself. With his massive intelligence, surely he'd have some kind expertise in science, engineering, strategy, or something? Because if he's stowing away, there needs to be a reason for them not to just kill him/eject him when they find him.

Also, important detail, is the ship assembled in orbit around the Dark Star, or is it assembled elsewhere and flies in?

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 09:42:02 pm »

Changelog:

- Changed Backstory
     - Added Dietary Requirements
     - Added ability: Parasitic
     - Added skill: General Practitioner

LK, that character description is the species description again. Also, we've discussed that he needs to be more skilled than a janitor. The ship can clean itself. With his massive intelligence, surely he'd have some kind expertise in science, engineering, strategy, or something? Because if he's stowing away, there needs to be a reason for them not to just kill him/eject him when they find him.

Also, important detail, is the ship assembled in orbit around the Dark Star, or is it assembled elsewhere and flies in?

Why is this important?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:22:54 am by Pencil_Art »

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 09:42:35 pm »

Yes He is very skilled in Swashbuckling and Tinkering with Junk to make more useful junk, Also why would they kill him for being on board?

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 09:43:53 pm »

Well, we might not have any food suitable for you. Speaking of food, will it just be some sort of nutritious sludge?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:46:47 pm by Pencil_Art »

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 09:45:47 pm »

You have a giant slug on board, I'm a giant snail, It's not much of a stretch.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42