Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Complications with getting back into playing?  (Read 1944 times)

JayThePro

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERSONALITY:SELF_CONTROL:0:2:100]
    • View Profile
Complications with getting back into playing?
« on: June 19, 2015, 07:01:26 pm »

So I've been gone from DF for a while (stopped following around the time v40.01 went public).
I've played maybe three times before then, and recently decided to get back into gameplay....

Where do I start? I don't understand the new style of maps and quests. Everything else appears pretty simple...
But the hostility between you and enemies and others is...odd. The new chat system is simple do follow, but I don't understand
the interactions between player -> others? There are lists of beasts on the map, but I don't understand what the titles do.

How do quests work?
How do you become hostile?
How does the map work?

Thanks in advanced!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Complications with getting back into playing?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 01:33:58 am »

Whack things, go to events and check for Beast entries, hit whichever key so it indicates the location, head there.

Whack it until it falls down or kills you, head back, tell others about it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 02:01:35 am »

There are no more quests in DF2014 like there was in past versions, all you have is some npc randomly telling you there's a beast/bandit/whatever in a remote location and that's it, even if you go there and destroy whatever is there to destroy no npc will care, "it was inevitable" will be the most likely answer you'll get for reporting the deed, very disheartening .
Rarely they'll think it's great, but you get not much more answers.

... or they'll spit at you and call you murderer because it happened that the bandits they told you were terrorizing everyone happened to have a membership with one of the many groups those npc belong to or was somehow related to them in a way or another.

The only rumour thing that seem to really matter for the npc is kids rescue in goblin dark fortresses/pits.
But the lag is so horrible most of the time ( as those sites generate thousands of gobs/trolls + pathfind calculation hell due to how convulated the sites are + respawn bug ) , that unless you mod the game/delete massive population from those locations with dfhack, it will be so unplayble you're not likely to have much fun.

When you become/are a heartperson of a lord/lady , sometime you can ask for order and instead of them not giving any to you, they can ask for you to do something that sounds like a quest, but good luck if it's the "create trouble with some elf civ" as whatever you do to that elf civ does not really solve the order.

Hopefully next version of DF will get better for adventuring as Toady mentionned in his logs recently :
I decided it was time to shift gears to adventure mode so that the last remaining dwarfy bits can grow up with the adventure bits that need to be finished, and so adventure mode doesn't creep up badly on us as we try to get this release completed.

JayThePro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 02:06:20 am »

Greatly put, thanks both of you.
That was exactly what I was thinking, I just want sure.
Guess I'll play around with what could have been the godly v40, and go back to v34.11.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 05:18:20 pm »

Modding helps, I got a lot more fun out of adventurer mode after I learned how to do stuff like that. Also being able to jump five or ten stories vertically onto a building without hurting myself.

JayThePro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 02:44:13 am »

Modding helps, I got a lot more fun out of adventurer mode after I learned how to do stuff like that. Also being able to jump five or ten stories vertically onto a building without hurting myself.
Lol noice. But is there more to do with quests? Anything Toady mentioned about editing that?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 04:35:10 am »

Unfortunately i have not noticed any quest-related entry in Toady's logs, though hopefully he will give a good look to the rest of the adventure mode problems once he's finished with the tavern updates.

Remuluson

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:EDITING_TOO_MUCH:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 05:15:08 am »

i would be cool if there was news board and you could chose what you like without constantly inquiring about troblems villagers
[ETHICS:FEAR_SOCKMASTRERS:REQUIRED]
[ETHICS:HAVING_TOO_MUCH_ETHICS:REQUIRED]

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 11:58:46 am »

There are no more quests in DF2014 like there was in past versions, all you have is some npc randomly telling you there's a beast/bandit/whatever in a remote location and that's it, even if you go there and destroy whatever is there to destroy no npc will care, "it was inevitable" will be the most likely answer you'll get for reporting the deed, very disheartening .

... or they'll spit at you and call you murderer because it happened that the bandits they told you were terrorizing everyone happened to have a membership with one of the many groups those npc belong to or was somehow related to them in a way or another.

The only rumour thing that seem to really matter for the npc is kids rescue in goblin dark fortresses/pits.Io
But the lag is so horrible most of the time ( as those sites generate thousands of gobs/trolls + pathfind calculation hell due to how convulated the sites are + respawn bug ) , that unless you mod the game/delete massive population from those locations with dfhack, it will be so unplayble you're not likely to have much fun.

When you become/are a heartperson of a lord/lady , sometime you can ask for order and instead of them not giving any to you, they can ask for you to do something that sounds like a quest, but good luck if it's the "create trouble with some elf civ" as whatever you do to that elf civ does not really solve the order.

Hopefully next version of DF will get better for adventuring as Toady mentionned in his logs recently :
I decided it was time to shift gears to adventure mode so that the last remaining dwarfy bits can grow up with the adventure bits that need to be finished, and so adventure mode doesn't creep up badly on us as we try to get this release completed.
I'm going to seriously ask, how much have  you played.

Alright OP the npcs do care, they just don't react the same, it can be confusing at first, reporting kills gets you famous just as completing quests did in version 34. This guy is wrong. They may say it was inevitable, but your fame lis still tracked, it took me awhile to notice, but you still get properly famous and as your fame increases and the reactions change.

Also if you become a hearthperson you can get proper missions from your lord if anything needs doing.

I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 12:34:14 pm »

The only rumour thing that seem to really matter for the npc is kids rescue in goblin dark fortresses/pits.Io

I'm going to seriously ask, how much have  you played.

Alright OP the npcs do care, they just don't react the same, it can be confusing at first, reporting kills gets you famous just as completing quests did in version 34. This guy is wrong. They may say it was inevitable, but your fame lis still tracked, it took me awhile to notice, but you still get properly famous and as your fame increases and the reactions change.

Also if you become a hearthperson you can get proper missions from your lord if anything needs doing.
oh yeah I take it because npcs are kinda based on small time factions who keeps getting replaced, the more quests you do killing guys who are on many factions kill list the more likely your fame will grow to pop up in rebel alliance small talk. oh yeah the only kind of creature that gets flak from everyone and okay to kill are beasts as no matter how sentient they are the megabeast flag seems to make everyone go nuts in fear and or hatred for them.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 12:50:35 pm »

Why the Oh Yays?  XD
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com