Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Item description repository (for "extended item view")  (Read 4535 times)

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Item description repository (for "extended item view")
« on: January 25, 2015, 11:42:17 am »

The mod itself:
Extended item viewscreen

This repository on github

In this thread i will try to encourage community contributions (and track them too :) ) to the descriptions database. Any contribution is wellcome!

Currently there can be a custom text for both items and materials. You can contribute by just making a short and useful wiki article summary, or by also adding some flavor text. This is a vanilla DF database, so you generally better to focus on vanilla items and materials.

I will accept text description from any source, that can even be just a simple forum post in this thread. I will check those descriptions and include them in the mod release (and they are very likely will go to starter pack and other mods too).

Pay attention, there always must be at least 3 things described:
1. Shape of the item
2. Usage
3. How to craft it (or how the item is obtained, in general)

Total files: 164
Current progress: 5%, 8/164, everything is needed.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:46:49 am by Raidau »
Marital status manipulator
Custom item descriprions
Natural Balance Mod (2013-2015) development suspended...

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Item desctiption repository (for "extended item view")
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:44:00 am »

Example:

Battle axe
Code: [Select]
A battle axe is an edge weapon that is essentially a sharp blade
mounted perpendicularly on the end of a handle.

Dwarves can forge battle axes out of any weapon-grade metal,
though those with superior edge properties are more effective.
A battle axe may also be used as a tool for chopping down trees.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:56:32 am by Raidau »
Custom item descriprions

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Item description repository (for "extended item view")
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 12:18:22 pm »

Armor stand: A rack for the storage of military equipment, specifically armor. It is required by some nobles, and can be used to create a barracks. Armor can be stored in it, but is always stored in stockpiles instead.

Barrel: A hollow cylinder with a removable lid. It is used to hold liquids, food, and seeds. It can be made from metal or wood, and is used for the same purposes as a rock pot. It (or a rock pot) is needed to brew drinks.

Bed: A pallet for dwarves to sleep on. It can only be made from wood. It prevents the stress of sleeping on the ground, and can be used to designate a bedroom (used by one dwarf or couple), a dormitory (used by multiple dwarves), or a barracks (used by a military squad for training pr sleep).

Bin: A container for the storage of ammunition, armor and weapons, bars, blocks, cloth and leather, coins, finished goods and gems. It can be used to carry multiple items to the Trade Depot at once. It can be made from wood or forged from metal.

Box: A container for storing dwarves' items. They are required by nobles, and will increase the value of rooms they are placed in. They can be made from stone or metal (coffers), wood (chests), or textiles or leather (bags).

Bucket: A small cylindrical or conical container for holding and carrying small amounts of liquid such as water or lye. They are used by dwarves to give water to other dwarves, to store lye, and are required to build wells. They can be made from wood or metal.

Something like that?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 12:29:32 pm »

Something like that?

Well, generally yes. There always must be 3 things described (at least).
1. Shape of the item
2. Usage
3. How to craft it

This is mostly a quick reference for the new players. So they dont get too confused when they start to play and learn about the game.
Custom item descriprions

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 12:33:51 pm »

I see. I'll make sure to reference where they're made.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 12:39:02 pm »

Your list of items is rather short.

No instruments, tools, crafts, armors, shields, clothing, siege engines, ammo?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 12:47:38 pm »

Your list of items is rather short.

No instruments, tools, crafts, armors, shields, clothing, siege engines, ammo?

I did not fill it yet, gonna think on how to organize everything in more suitable manner
Custom item descriprions

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 12:50:20 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Included this. Thanks for contribution  :)

UPDATE: Added all the item files to github (this also includes all subtypes). Most of the files are blank now
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:51:38 am by Raidau »
Custom item descriprions

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 07:26:59 pm »

show_ascii_unit  :o

Do I understand the code correctly and the creature description might also show an ascii image of it?

Same for plants, trees, inorganics, from rocks, ores, gems to metals and misc stuff like coke, amber or pearlash? (hardcoded mats without RAW access)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 11:12:53 pm »

show_ascii_unit  :o

Do I understand the code correctly and the creature description might also show an ascii image of it?

Same for plants, trees, inorganics, from rocks, ores, gems to metals and misc stuff like coke, amber or pearlash? (hardcoded mats without RAW access)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sure. Actually you can access hardcode materials in reaction raws (ASH:NONE is the token pair for ash). DF does not allow you to inspect trees and plants, unfortunately (while they are part of the map).

Init script in Natural Balance even changes BUTCHER_SPECIAL of builtin materials and adds 2 reaction classes to glass  :P

I had some success in inserting anything i wish into unit description string. It even supports tags like [P] and custom color! (If you modify it in runtime, raws accept only one line without tags). I even inserted 8k character-long ascii image :) (without dfhack window, just the DF text screen). But most of the time the game just crashed and i could not locate the reason for that. I removed line feeds,  changed character set, converted everything to DF, but still it crashed a lot, so i gave up that idea.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:04:07 am by Raidau »
Custom item descriprions

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 05:02:08 am »

In theory Twbt could allow a seperate tileset to be used for each item, and the tileset could be any picture you like, which means no ascii graphics, but just importing a square picture directly. Works with building graphics.

But I honestly think black and white ascii is the way to go. It fits with the theme, most tilesets and is not too... intrusive. And easier to make for people that want to contribute.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 05:28:14 am »

I had some success in inserting anything i wish into unit description string. It even supports tags like [P] and custom color!

It's magic, isn't it? The text viewer doubles as the ?-key help screen viewer with all the tags it entails. You can decrypt the help files to find out more about the syntax.

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 08:02:34 am »

It's magic, isn't it? The text viewer doubles as the ?-key help screen viewer with all the tags it entails. You can decrypt the help files to find out more about the syntax.

Yeah, its actually the same. But after it is rendered no changes can be made to the text, so i cant change it like the item view screen. If someone finds the way to make game open specific WTF file anytime I wish, let me know :)
Custom item descriprions