Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Climbing in Sieges, Dead Marksdwarves  (Read 7523 times)

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
Climbing in Sieges, Dead Marksdwarves
« on: January 25, 2015, 10:21:41 pm »

Wow!  Enemies can really climb, jump and scale things.  I had a guard tower three levels above the ground, which I thought was safe.  During a siege, two attackers jumped, climbed up and started beating the crap out of the marksdwarves in the tower.

I'd really like to see marksdwarves act a little more intelligently.  I once again had a marksdwarf that fired across a chasm at enemies and then ran out of ammo.  Instead of running back for more ammo, the marksdwarf made the usual suicidal leap across the chasm and was immediately pummeled to death by the group of assailants still alive.  This dwarf didn't even have a proper mêlée weapon.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Climbing in Sieges, Dead Marksdwarves
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 10:39:39 pm »

Are you asking a question, or just saying this happened?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 10:51:08 pm »

I am announcing my surprise at seeing that kind of acrobatics, which was really cool (even though it cost me several dwarves).  I *think* they climbed up on a nearby wall, then jumped up onto the unfinished perimeter of the tower and climbed inside.  Only a few of them tried this.  Out of 60-80 attackers, they probably weren't all good enough to do that.

Secondly, I am complaining about suicidal marksdwarves but there's not much to do about that.  I have to work on my strategy to minimise that kind of stupidity.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 11:19:39 pm »

Try fortifications, if you haven't yet.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 11:23:37 pm »

Do they make a difference? If so, how?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 11:25:37 pm »

Well you can add a roof so they can't climb in/out.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 11:26:18 pm »

archers can shoot through fortifications, but units can't go through them (unless they are "pushed" through either by flowing liquid, flung out of a minecart, or hit with such force that they go flying)
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 11:31:00 pm »

archers can shoot through fortifications, but units can't go through them (unless they are "pushed" through either by flowing liquid, flung out of a minecart, or hit with such force that they go flying)

Really?  I didn't know they could get pushed through, like that.

Yeah, I am going to work on that.  If the tower were complete, they wouldn't have been able to get in.  It was frustrating to have no alternative but to put the last marksdwarf near the front-line, which ended in that insane run at the enemies.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 11:32:21 pm »

It is quite hilarious to think about a GIANT SPERM WHALE peing squeezed through a hole that arrows fly through.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 12:10:00 am »

DF universe measures by tiles. The laws of physics are also different from ours.
 :P

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 02:10:35 am »

Well you can add a roof so they can't climb in/out.

Hehe I aware of that, it seemed that the implication was that goblins can't climb on fortifications?

It is quite hilarious to think about a GIANT SPERM WHALE peing squeezed through a hole that arrows fly through.

I've always thought of "fortifications" as crenellations.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 02:42:45 am »

...the implication was that goblins can't climb on fortifications?

Oh, I have never checked that.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 03:01:04 am »

In adventurer mode I was unable to climb on fortifacations even though logically it would be easier than standard walls.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 09:34:05 am »

I've seen cats climb fortifications all the time. I am pretty sure the only thing that is impossible to climb is a smoothed wall

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 01:18:42 pm »

This wild beggar had no trouble climbing over the fortification (and wall made of blocks) so I dont quite get it - why it's supposed to stop climbing? My archers and enemies are using fortifications like a damn revolving door!

Pages: [1] 2 3