Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventurer: Taking a bath and eating without stopping travel mode  (Read 1152 times)

mardouille

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I find it really annoying when I'm traveling a lot to stop with 'd' to eat and drink and then go back to 'T' travel mode.

We can already sleep in travel mode so why not east too?
Even better would be the option to sleep and eat when you choose to sleep outdoors.

Another thing I don't get us that dwarves in fortress mode use soap so they get happy thoughts and that's fine. I think before meeting with a lord or even recruiting soldiers, your adventurer should not stink !
If you stink I ain't following you !

What do you guys think?

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer: Taking a bath and eating without stopping travel mode
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 11:07:30 am »

I like the idea of not having to stop to eat.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 11:16:34 am »

I do not like the idea.  streamlining fast-travel even more makes it ludicrous.  Sleeping in fast travel sounds new to me, but you can already avoid ambushes now.

Where is the danger in fast travel these days?  Aside from Bogeys.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 03:36:06 pm »

Allowing the player to eat and drink in fast-travel is a great idea. If people want more immersion then they can stop to eat and drink if they want but other people shouldn't be forced too.

As anyone knows who plays for a significant amount of time on a medium-sized map or larger it seems like anywhere from 50-75% of game-time is spent in fast-travel once you get high-level and travel around offing mega-beasts. Making it so you didn't have to stop every time to eat and drink would make it less tedious.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 08:21:35 am »

I do not like the idea.  streamlining fast-travel even more makes it ludicrous.  Sleeping in fast travel sounds new to me, but you can already avoid ambushes now.

I think this would be best dealt with by allowing enemies to sneak up on you, or adding other random dangers that can appear while you are traveling.  Forcing players to stop in order to eat doesn't increase the challenge of the game or the danger of travel,  it's just pointless tedium.

The same goes for rivers and mountains.  Adventurers who know how to swim or climb shouldn't be forced to stop every time they reach an easily passable barrier.  And creatures with innate swimming ability should be able to fast travel across oceans as well.

mardouille

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 09:24:08 am »

I feel it would be more adequate if you had an option to eat and drink when you press 'Z'.

I don't care about losing one hour if I can remove the hunger and thirst. When traveling a long distance it's really a waste of time of gameplay to eat/drink, then sleep then night, then having to drink and eat again before going back in travel mode.

If you play a medium or large world this is what is the most annoying, even more than rivers IMO. You can go around rivers of you want but you are forced to stop to drink.

I can understand that some people dislike travel mode but on any map of a big world, there's no way around it if you want to get anywhere.

Personally I'd like to have my character jump on a trade wagon to get somewhere and having to defend the trader in exchange for the ride but I don't think it's going to happen before a long time

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 11:35:51 am »

I think this would be best dealt with by allowing enemies to sneak up on you, or adding other random dangers that can appear while you are traveling.  Forcing players to stop in order to eat doesn't increase the challenge of the game or the danger of travel,  it's just pointless tedium.

The same goes for rivers and mountains.  Adventurers who know how to swim or climb shouldn't be forced to stop every time they reach an easily passable barrier.  And creatures with innate swimming ability should be able to fast travel across oceans as well.

All in good time, I'm sure.  I'm rather upset that Adventure Mode has lost most of its appeal to me since the new update.
  Fortress mode has too, frankly, but the new content shines there where the new content for adventure mode doesn't as much.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!