Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: steam forum post about being nice to toady devolves into immediate vitriol  (Read 1170 times)

Nihilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

https://steamcommunity.com/app/975370/discussions/0/3824160148613007585/

just... wow.

any thoughts on this? I knew the steam community was going to be a bit of a culture shock, but damned if these guys don't seem like they'd like to SWAT somebody

I know, I know, "just ignore the trolls", but still. Yikes.

It's amazing how many people seem to be demanding a right to treat zach and tarn like trash

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile

Well, I wish I hadn't opened up that just after waking up. Not that there was anything surprising there since Steam forums are a horrid place.

Al I can think of for now is:

It was inevitable.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

vitriol is never welcome. steam's rather libertarian views on moderation lets festering souls congregate and revel in a sort of ritualistic hate-piling. whatever your take on the premium version or it's development speed or.. whatever.. let it exist only as constructive criticism.

What gets me is so many of these people are so very much NOT invested in the game. the time they spend thinking up ways to rephrase the same BS for the hundreth time could be better spent designating hallways or examining world histories or farming mermaids if they really want to be edgy .

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Making that steam thread was a mistake in the first place. Everyone is right and wrong at the same time. It's just plain old holy war. Nothing to see here citizen

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile

I don't know if any posts got removed, but (right now) it seems to me that the only ones spewing vitriol were those claiming to speak for Toady.

The op (and the rest of the OP's posts) reads more as an attack to the other gamers/customers, sprinkled with a hefty amount of "I, alone, hold the truth of god" complex, than a call to be civil toward the devs.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website

It seems rather unnecessary to post this on the forum, considering the brothers Adams are way more likely to see it here than on Steam. :/

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit

Importing off-forum drama is against the rules of the forum, just saying.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly, from what I read of that (it was earlier, with post-count into the 50s) it seemed to me a pretty tame "you are wrong"/"no, you are wrong" thread. I can't see where it would particularly upset the Adams family...

The (forum-bowdlerised) language used was presumably strong and wouldn't be allowed here, but the core points made (on both ends of the argument) are not unknown from being expressed on these 'ere boards... And as vehemently.

(Unless I accidentally skipped over someting truly shocking.)

I've not actually been on the Steam pages since early on in the pre-release period, when I found them too much of a practical pain to keep on top of, and I couldn't even post myself to contribute. I think it was a similar environment back then, in-between the other general misconceptions and the like.