Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I am Tholtig  (Read 13566 times)

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I am Tholtig
« on: January 26, 2015, 12:18:03 pm »

I am Tholtig. I swing an iron pick. I smooth the walls and carve out images of our history in them.

I drink in the hall with my fellow dwarves, the hall that we carved out during the first year.

Life was good then. We dug deep, built great halls, erected statues and made wonderful crafts encrusted with gemstones. Both human and dwarven traders alike praised our craftsdwarfship. When we grew hungry, we slaughtered one of the horses. I remember the taste of horse. When we were thirsty, we drank. First from the barrels, then from the brook.

We should have remembered the brook.

There was no iron or coal in our fortress, but that did not stop our metalsmiths, for our mountain is laden with silver and lead. Silver makes for heavy warhammers. Lead makes for all sorts of furniture.

How many were we before the Thirst? 70? 80? I do not know.
How many have been rotting in the pile outside, ever since the winter when the brook froze, the barrels ran dry and the well failed us?

This I do know. 48. There are 48 niches carved into the walls in our new water reservoir. The Thirst took them, but they will never want for drink again.

I am Tholtig. I dig lead ore. I carry lead sarcophagi. The small ones are the heaviest.

There are goblins outside now. The others closed the drawbridge as soon as we left, sealing us out for the greater good. The fisherman and the apple picker are both dead. I liked him, the apple picker.

I am Tholtig. I swing a silver warhammer. I am alive.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: I am Tholtig
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 12:19:16 pm »

Very well done.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 01:04:12 pm »

Great writing...but shouldn't this be in the community/stories section?

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 03:01:05 pm »

I really like this. Great short story.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 03:29:20 pm »

Great writing...but shouldn't this be in the community/stories section?

I don't know! Maybe it should. How do I move it?

I actually wanted to ask for suggestions as to how I might save (or further doom) my fortress, but somehow it came out as a poetic story. It's my first fortress that's lasted past a couple of seasons, in previous attempts I ended up getting intimidated by the complexity of it all. But aside from Chairman Mao levels of mismanagement I think I'm finally getting the hang of this game!

Tholtig is the expedition leader and ex-mayor of this whole fustercluck, I figured she should be the one to give the introduction. I'm fairly certain the current mayor is a vampire, more on that later. Here's the rundown:

Catastrophic incompetence in the agricultural department led to a severe shortage of booze (and food, but that we managed by hunting) in the 3rd year. We had assumed the barrels we bought from the traders would last us at least through the winter, but our estimates were based on a population in the twenties, and the actual beardcount had recently ballooned to more than 70. This would not have been such a disaster in itself, had it not been for the fact that...

...our engineers are a dim-witted rabble of nincompoops that don't know their arses from a hole in the ground. The trench they had dug from the surface brook to our underground water cistern would hardly fill a bath tub in a season's time, much less deliver enough water to supply the fortress well in any foreseeable timespan. Even so, the work did not start until late Autumn, whereupon the brook soon froze solid. Had they at least started by leading the water underground, we might have averted the worst ... But no, the last part of our great installation was the brook channel itself, which of course remained dry and frozen hard as bone until the first of Slate. In addition...

...our Chief Medical Dwarf, curse his beard, was a murderous, lying bastard. He assured us that a few months of drink shortage would be of little concern to overall dwarven health as long as we had food. No need to go outside gathering snow-covered apples for brewing, he said. Then one morning we found the Administrator as a shriveled corpse in the lower halls. Next was the Chief Medical Dwarf himself, and while none of us shed a tear for him, the panic was now beginning to spread among the populace.

And then the children... Oh Armok, the children. And the parents. Even the Baroness succumbed to thirst eventually. Soon it was all we could do to keep the corpse gas from spreading. Those of us with the strongest stomachs took it upon us to deliver their bodies to the surface, as a temporary resting place until proper graves could be constructed. Most of them are still stinking out there.

I tell you, I could feel the relief through the computer screen when the brook melted and the remaining dwarves shambled down to the cistern to drink the filthy muck. I have since expanded farming considerably and am now reserving all plants for brewing. The victims of this tragedy will rest in fine caskets of purest lead near the (now filled) cistern, about 1/4 of them have been interred there already. May they never be forgotten.

Still, there's a lot to be done. Most of us have thoughts that are several screens of "horrified by death", and I suspect the only reason why there have been so (relatively) few tantrums is that the military keeps everyone too afraid to step out of line. Even the ghosts that roam our hallways seem reluctant to float in their way. They are equipped with fine silver warhammers hewn from our very own galena veins, and iron plate armor that we forged from bars provided by traders, with bone greaves and gauntlets, and wooden shields. All of them are supremely well trained. At least one thing seems to be working right in this miserable hole in the ground.

Which is good, because we are now under siege! Our finest dwarves ran out to greet the invaders, with ranged support from our four hunters, all professional marksdwarves. With no ammunition. Remind me to establish a justice system and set the Hammerer upon whomever it was that sent them out so poorly equipped! The drawbridge is raised behind them, so they're stuck plucking their crossbowstrings while the melee squad does its duty.

Yet somehow, through great skill, or perhaps a tremendous amount of luck, it seems we are winning this battle! Yes, a fisherdwarf and an apple gatherer have fallen, and the cruel goblins have taken their wrath out on several animals in our livestock pasture (remind me to wall that off!), but not one of our soldiers has fallen! I see them blocking crossbow bolts and dodging whip lashes, and two of them managed to bring down the goblin master in combined effort, their hammers crunching skulls and shattering femur bones. Glorious.

Which brings us to a rather sinister problem that I've been unwilling to discuss with any of my advisors. We have a vampire in our halls. Two children have been found dead in their beds, drained of all blood (why is it always the children!). The first one occurred some time after our last immigrant wave... in which we received our current Mayor. Strange, that, being elected Mayor after just a few weeks in the fortress. Tholtig was practically furious. Our new Mayor is a swordsdwarf by trade, although I haven't examined his skills too closely. I will do so when he returns from the siege, as well as dig into his past.

I say when he returns, because I have never seen a dwarf fight like this. Here is a rough summary of his most recent combat log:
The speargoblin misses the Mayor.
The Mayor bites the speargoblin in the left hand and latches on firmly!
The Mayor crushes the speargoblin's right leg with his shield. No ordinary dwarf, this.
The Mayor tosses the goblin around like a toy by its left hand, using his teeth. What a magnificent set of teeth he must have...
The Mayor crunches the goblin's skull like a ripe melon, swinging his heavy hammer with ease.

These impressive feats are even more startling considering that his fellow hammerdwarves mostly just stand around muttering about dead dwarves in their combat logs, whilst getting in a lucky hit now and then. It's almost as if our Mayor has no fear of death...

I'll keep a close eye on him. And I'll be sure to keep him far away from the hospital I've begun constructing. We have survived our own thirst. We shall not fall to the thirst of another!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:33:10 pm by Magnus »

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 03:47:56 pm »

It's very important to mix some axe- and swordsdwarves into your military. Hammers are brutal against humanoid targets, but bigger stuff won't succumb so easily without first losing a limb or four. Also it's advisable to have as many coffins/sarcophagi placed and waiting for an occupant as you have dwarves, at any given time. Even in the best run forts, it's good to make sure valuable post-catastrophe labour wouldn't have to be spent on making and placing burial recpetacles. Oh and steel, while marginally more expensive to make due to needing an additional unit of coal and one of flux stone per bar, is very worthwhile when you're already importing iron -- it means your limited iron stocks are being used to make excellent stuff no matter what. Just use the manager to order an equal amount of pig iron and steel to be made.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 04:57:19 pm »

It's very important to mix some axe- and swordsdwarves into your military. Hammers are brutal against humanoid targets, but bigger stuff won't succumb so easily without first losing a limb or four. Also it's advisable to have as many coffins/sarcophagi placed and waiting for an occupant as you have dwarves, at any given time. Even in the best run forts, it's good to make sure valuable post-catastrophe labour wouldn't have to be spent on making and placing burial recpetacles. Oh and steel, while marginally more expensive to make due to needing an additional unit of coal and one of flux stone per bar, is very worthwhile when you're already importing iron -- it means your limited iron stocks are being used to make excellent stuff no matter what. Just use the manager to order an equal amount of pig iron and steel to be made.
This sounds like good advice, thanks!
I haven't found any coal yet so I'm using charcoal as fuel, which makes it a bit tedious to make steel. Especially since I'm loath to cut down the fruit bearing trees (that's good drinkin'!), but now that the farming is doing all right I might as well hack them all down. I went for hammers because the only weapons-grade metal I have is silver, but it looks like I'll score at least a few copper axes from the goblins. The first caravan had only ten bars of iron, which I used solely on armor, and the second had none. I set a premium on it, so I hope they'll bring more next time.

I wonder, if a vampire bleeds in a well's water supply, and everybody drinks it, do they become vampires?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 05:25:02 pm »

Excellent. I really like this.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 11:22:56 pm »

Bravo :'(

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 11:30:12 pm »

That was a nice read  :D
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 12:13:25 am »

Vampire blood.
It does, though IIRC theres a bug that makes vampires slow down ad infinitum since they don't drink booze. Also, all new migrants will be destroyed by the ravenous hordes of undead you have created, and any dwarf with nervous damage will probably be out of commission for the rest of the fort, since I think it still doesn't heal that stuff.

On the upside,  vampires don't eat, drink, or sleep, don't die easily, and are immortal as far as aging goes. Sealing a vampire in a sub-fort is a viable tactic to ensure survival of the fort as a whole.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 01:07:50 am »

The first caravan had only ten bars of iron, which I used solely on armor, and the second had none. I set a premium on it, so I hope they'll bring more next time.
Don't order iron bars! Order the ores instead! Iron ores are cheaper than iron bars and they give four times the metal. Seriously don't bother buying individual bars unless you really need the extra five iron bars. If you put maximum order on hematite, limonite, and magnetite, that's 5 of each ore, 15 total, times 4, equals 60 iron bars. Sure it costs an additional unit of fuel, but I think one unit of fuel is worth three iron bars and saving some urists. Also if you want steel you can order pig iron and steel bars directly which while not as cheap and as largely available as smelting from ores, steel making costs a lot of fuel and smelting reactions so it can be worth it.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 01:19:15 am »

Ah, I didn't think of buying iron ore... Damn! I'll be sure to remember that, thanks!

I wonder if I'll just keep only the Mayor a vampire then. He's a ridiculously good fighter now, but if the alcohol withdrawal means he'll slow to a crawl eventually then I might as well make him the manager and lock him up.

Shame, really... I was looking forward to having my own vampire clan. Imagine that the Mayor mandates construction of a giant door in the lowest level of the fort. He goes through with his own cadre of elite soldiers, and nobody has heard from him since. The fortress moves on and becomes wealthy from exports, people live and breed happily there, but every firstborn child has to go through the Door, dragged to it by chanting priests with masks while the citizens bow their heads in silence. Every old dwarf, once they reach a certain age, goes through the Door of their own volition after saying teary goodbyes to the other citizens. Hospitalized warriors go the same way ("No no no it's only a flesh wound! Please don't send me down there, I beg you!"). And anyone who speaks up against the Mayor's rule, or gets sent to prison for ignoring his ridiculous mandates, are neither seen nor heard from again. Such is life in the Bloodfort.

catastrophy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 05:35:54 am »

Good read!

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 10:05:50 am »

Oh god...

We drove off the goblins without any military casualties. I've sent the haulers to drag their gear inside, lots of nice armor and weapons, not to mention clothing which is in woefully short supply. Amazingly, the apple picker we had written off as dead survived the ordeal, despite taking five crossbow bolts in various limbs, AND being left out in the rain for a WEEK before someone had the wits to carry him inside. All credit goes to our fine medical team for putting him back together, although he will likely remain on crutches for the rest of his days.

The vampire casualties continue with alarming frequency. The culprit has now moved on from children to mature dwarves, with our furnace operator Burnie being the first to fall as such. I am fairly sure the Mayor is involved somehow, but he might not be the only one! During his meeting with the human council another victim was found, and witnesses saw the military second-in-command rushing from the dormitory minutes earlier. He is of a similar type as the Mayor, a genius with the sword and highly skilled in conversation. Nobody heard or saw anything, as usual, but if we are indeed beset by two vampires then I fear for our futures...

And if this wasn't enough, we're dealing with the repercussions of a werebeast invasion! A mighty human weresheep came to our door, slaughtered our guard dogs and took the full might of our military (fortunately, the marksdwarves now had ammo!) to bring down. It was only later that we discovered that such beasts spread their curse to the surviving victims. Berryclams, one of our gatherers and fishermen, had been the unfortunate first one to encounter the beast, and while he was brought inside and healed in our hospital, he subsequently sprouted fleece and went berserk in the meeting hall while partying. He managed to bite one of the children, who later shapeshifted just as Berryclams had done. The freakish child-sheep-dwarf then attacked a farmer and ripped his arm off... The circle of violence continues as I write. The screams from the hospital never cease, and Bloody, our butcher who doubles as surgeon, looks about to crack from the pressure. The military have been stationed near the hospital, but they are in disarray too, seeing as Slasha, our finest axedwarf, was the first of their number to fall in battle with these beasts. Only the Mayor and his second-in-command seem completely unaffected by all this...

Thirty sarcophagi have been placed, but we always need more. Our mason, Stoney, was found contorted in fear and lifeless in his room a while ago. A grim fate indeed, for such a promising craftsman to be strangled by his own deceased child. They have since both been put to rest, but I fear for similar incidents. I am in half a mind to have another anvil forged for a second metalworks, to speed up the burial process.

Tholtig is still alive, albeit on crutches. She was gravely hurt by one of the werebeasts, but seeing as her skin was not pierced I have hopes that she will not turn like the others have. She seemed okay with being reassigned to animal care duty.

Still, there is hope. Three children have been born since the siege ended, giving a much needed boost to morale. We have begun engraving the hallways, and are at least adequately stocked with food, booze, weapons and clothing. Provided that the violence dies down and we finally manage to bury our dead, this fortress may yet survive.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:07:24 am by Magnus »
Pages: [1] 2