Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Roll to Quixote Organisation: search and rescue (waitlist open)  (Read 9910 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Quixote Organisation: Something is awry in Aiza Arce
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2015, 01:11:54 am »

The sniper eyes Ivan, and speaks, quietly.

"I feel those two will run off and get themselves killed."

He then follows Dixon, making sure to keep an eye on him.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2015, 05:01:16 am »

Check to see how much money we have been given with our provisions, as I head to the shops. First thing I get is a newspaper. Second thing I do, is, along the way, I look for a copy of m old newspaper laying around, preferably up to the date of a week ago.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2015, 02:24:21 pm »

Day one in town. The heat has already made one of your comrades completely stop moving. He has a sort of glazed, far off look in his eyes. ie. drone didn't post.

"I'll go see if I can find us some good fresh foods ta eat tahnight."

"You do that," Ivan Dume says curtly as he starts to walk off. "I will check for rumors."

Find a place that people get drunk at. Check out rumors.
Everything in our world has a place they feel most attracted to. Bees are attracted towards flowers. Worms to dirt. Seagulls to your car, even though there are five other cars they could choose to shit on. And mercenaries, as history has shown us, are attracted to bars. You walk around the streets until you spot what you assume ot be a bar. There's music playing and people talking rather loudly. The bar radiates the sort of artistic shabbyness that makes you feel right at home. As you enter, you notice a few tables of people drinking and eating snacks, laughing and talking loudly. there are a few sitting at the bar as well. Three men and a woman. One man is holding a discussion with the bartender. The other is glumly staring at his drink. The man and woman on the far side of the bar are talking amongst themselves in hushed tones. No one seems to pay attention to you entering, for now.

The sniper eyes Ivan, and speaks, quietly.

"I feel those two will run off and get themselves killed."

He then follows Dixon, making sure to keep an eye on him.

You follow Dixon into the bar. You have no idea how he found it this quickly. He just sort of started off in one direction, took about three random turns and the two of you sort of ended up in front of a bar. The place seems sort of seedy, but Dixon just strolls right in, and you follow suit.

Check to see how much money we have been given with our provisions, as I head to the shops. First thing I get is a newspaper. Second thing I do, is, along the way, I look for a copy of m old newspaper laying around, preferably up to the date of a week ago.
You check your suitcase for money and find a rolled up bundle of bills. It amounts to about 400...what? You're not sure what the local currency is called, actually. You just call them dollaridoos for now.

You purchase a newspaper for 2 dollaridoos. Unfortunately, you don't actually know how to read Spanish. Also, after searching around for about half an hour, you fail to find an old newspaper lying around anywhere. This is not true, technically, but none of the ones you found where in any sort of readable state.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2015, 03:09:07 pm »

(I was expecting a news stall, which would be commonly found near a market, but. . . . A bar. . . .ok. . . . )
Dixon then turns around to finish the thing of which he said he would, and spends no more than 20 boondollars dollaridoos on food, to return to the hotel.
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2015, 03:46:33 pm »

((You weren't at a market though. You went into a small convience store, if it matters.  And I'd think a bar is a rather common establishment to be found in any large town.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2015, 06:20:28 pm »

Get to the bar, order a light drink, some sort of ale, probably. Use French to speak with the bartender. It should be similar enough to what this lot can understand.

And if not, try to order the same in Spanish (or Portuguese, if this is actually in Brazil). My knowledge of these particular languages should be far more limited, presumably.

Wait, did I even see where this was on the map?

Anyway, if all that works, converse with the locals as well. Once again, try French, then attempt Spanish, then try to bluff out some Portuguese.

drone1230

• Bay Watcher
  • Feel the might of my epi-pen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2015, 08:17:42 am »

Oops, my bad. Completely forgot to post somehow.

Dump my stuff at the hotel. Take a walk around the outskirts of the town. Get the lay of the land.
Just when you think you're good to go, you run into an undead camel that is a master of kung fu

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2015, 08:52:34 am »

Might be interested in waitlisting, for now PTW.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2015, 04:37:08 pm »

(I was expecting a news stall, which would be commonly found near a market, but. . . . A bar. . . .ok. . . . )
Dixon then turns around to finish the thing of which he said he would, and spends no more than 20 boondollars dollaridoos on food, to return to the hotel.
With 20 dollaridoos in your hand, you go towards a small hole-in-the-wall restaurant. Using the universal language of pointing and nodding, along with the occasional grunt, you manage to get four large fried fish tacos to go and a six pack of some local brand of beer. Not a bad haul at all.

You head to the hotel, food in hand. The clerk at the desk hand you your room key. It seems James got you two rooms with two single beds each, but the clerk says he'll give the second key when the rest of your friends arrive. At least you think that's what he said, his english wasn't all that great. You enter room 24. It's a basic hotel room. Two beds, two chairs, a small table, a closet and a large window.

Get to the bar, order a light drink, some sort of ale, probably. Use French to speak with the bartender. It should be similar enough to what this lot can understand.

And if not, try to order the same in Spanish (or Portuguese, if this is actually in Brazil). My knowledge of these particular languages should be far more limited, presumably.

Wait, did I even see where this was on the map?

Anyway, if all that works, converse with the locals as well. Once again, try French, then attempt Spanish, then try to bluff out some Portuguese.

You remember vaguely seeing that this is a coastal town on the east coast of Latin-America. On the north coast of Venezuela.

You attempt to order an ale from the bartender in french, but the man just sort of shrugs. He slides you a sort of menu, where the available beverages are badly translated into several languages. You order a local ale and try to mingle with the local townsfolk. You turn to the glum looking guy beside you and say hello in french. The man just gives you a sideways glance before going back to nursing his drink. From behind you, however, you hear: "Eh. Ami. Rejoigne-nous a notre table!" Thankful to have someone that understands what you're saying, you get up and join the man at his table. The one who spoke is a very tan and very old man who tells you he originally came from Haiti. Next to him a slightly less ancient man  who seems to be the other guy's friend, who speaks spanish.

Oops, my bad. Completely forgot to post somehow.

Dump my stuff at the hotel. Take a walk around the outskirts of the town. Get the lay of the land.
You go to the hotel and dump your stuff in room 24. You take a walk outside, going all the way to the outskirts. The roads seem pretty lackluster, and there is no kind of public lighting to speak of. The town seems somewhat isolated, with a rather dense vegetation in every direction. You do see trucks comeing in and out of town rather regularely. Some bringing in supplies, while others pick up bananas and fish. You also spot a rather large hill in the east, overlooking the compound.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2015, 02:01:24 am »

Speak with the Haitian. Try to get a sense of what's happening in this town from him. Ask if he's heard anything about giant cats in the area.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2015, 03:46:46 am »

Welp. It smells lovely to me. A fish taco for now, shall be consumed, then i shallf ind a place to properly store the rest for when the others get back. Chances are that they will be hot on a lead, by the time they deside to come back for me. Would have helped me a lot to learn a small bit of the dialect, but, past is the past. . . . Maybe I can ask the hotel guy about the large Cat sigtings. Maybe even share a beer with him in sign of good faith.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2015, 11:27:31 am »

((Speech in Italics is in another language that your character understands. This is so I don't have to type in french or, god forbid, in spanish.))

Speak with the Haitian. Try to get a sense of what's happening in this town from him. Ask if he's heard anything about giant cats in the area.
"The town has been in a steady decline for these past few years. We used to get a lot of tourists, but after the banana plantation started the tourists stopped coming. All those trucks and garbage take away from the vacation feeling, you know? And now..." He sighs and takes a swig from his beer. He leans towards you and speaks in hushed tones "Now people are getting unhappy. The family who keeps the plantation, they have grown rich while the workers stay poor. Conditions are worsening. And now the Tiok Nahuaq steals the villagers away in the night. They beg the McSweeneys to protect them, but nothing happens. Things are getting bad, my friend."

Welp. It smells lovely to me. A fish taco for now, shall be consumed, then i shallf ind a place to properly store the rest for when the others get back. Chances are that they will be hot on a lead, by the time they deside to come back for me. Would have helped me a lot to learn a small bit of the dialect, but, past is the past. . . . Maybe I can ask the hotel guy about the large Cat sigtings. Maybe even share a beer with him in sign of good faith.
You head back downstairs with two beers and strike up a conversation with the guy manning the reception. Turns out he used to work here when tourists still came to this town, so he speaks some english. You offer him a beer, which he accepts with a smile.

"Big cat? Ah, you mean that Tok Naholk or something people keep talking about. I don't know, people believe in all sort of things here. I think is just young people getting out of here, to brighter future. Though, I did notice more and more trucks going to banana plantation. More guards too. So the Sweeneys are afraid of something, I think." He shrugs "Just don't go out at night. People only seem to dissapear at night for some reason. Maybe is just hungry jaguar who lost his way."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2015, 11:55:22 am »

"McSweeneys? Not a local name, yes?"

"And this Tioh Nahuaq. Is this an old legend by chance?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2015, 05:00:28 pm »

"McSweeneys? Not a local name, yes?"

"And this Tioh Nahuaq. Is this an old legend by chance?"

"Hah, you got that right. Though apparently they changed their name not long before coming here. Nobody really knows where they're from originally. It's not stupid if you're rich, I guess. Just eccentric."

"Might be an old legend. One of the local newspapers used that name after an elderly local called the beast that. I guess it sort of stuck. No idea where it's from, honestly. You know something about this?"

He asks his companion. The two speak for a moment.

"So, he says it's not actually from around here. Some immigrant heard about the beast, got scared and buggered off as fast as he could out of the country. Something about a 'lord of the near and the night'."
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 05:45:14 pm by Pancaek »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2015, 05:33:06 pm »

"I don't know much of this. I'm here to investigate the disappearances, along with some others. Rumors of beasts and an eccentric local family go well together, I think. Tioh Nahuaq sounds a little like an Indian word - not a linguist by a mile, but that is what I think," Ivan Dume relays his thought process, brushing his hand over his chin lightly, resisting the urge to scratch it.

"But who was this immigrant? From where?"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7