Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37

Author Topic: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art  (Read 221749 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2015, 12:00:19 pm »

I definitely like the fact that the first subtlety to the new combat mechanics was also the first thing you caught on to.

One amusing addendum to Asasokab I should note is that even a novice practitioner of Kisat Dur can apply it against an armed opponent in the majority of fights.

Much like in real life, an inexperienced combatant can, if armed, focus on the use of their weapon at the expense of other attacks such as kicks or grappling. This makes them predictable. Thus a practitioner can intercept the enemy and control the fight even if their observer skill is too low to reliably evaluate their opponent's moves. They can generally count on the enemy using their weapon more often than not, making it easier to guess which part to grab to interrupt the attack.

EDIT: ...doh! Second page, Nabasuthar. I am a dummy. o3o

Edit II, Revenge of the Editing: Okay, I do have one tidbit to contribute, after having actually read the thread (such rhymes, very derp) in full. Modding the neck bodypart by giving it the [JOINT] token has delightful applications for the practitioner who neither gives nor expect any quarter.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:51:19 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shellcore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2015, 12:53:35 pm »

Wait, does Arena mode do escalations or do I have to start adventure testing?
From what I remember, falling damage is modelled by the floor hitting YOU.  It is possible that if this is also done for wall collisions, that a dog bumping into the wall is modelled as being smacked in the face by a giant boulder.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2015, 01:07:57 pm »

Wait, does Arena mode do escalations or do I have to start adventure testing?

I think you need to do adventure testing, as it seems the conflict level is fixed at what you have it set to, which defaults to No Quarter.

In general, anything involving AI behavior is best tested outside Arena Mode.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2015, 12:58:41 am »

Yeah, I think there is like a minimum threshold for damage that gives an escalation bump, and I'm pretty sure sending someone sliding neckfirst 9 or 10 tiles across the ground is well beyond said minimum.

Also fun: if you're a vampire and tackle someone who is already asleep or who is knocked unconscious by the impact, you can feed on them in mid-air. Instead of selecting an attack just choose to feed instead.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The really interesting part is: when you're feeding instead of striking/wrestling a target you seem to spread eagle or something because you can slam into multiple targets this way, where normally you only hit one despite the fact that a tile might have five or six people on it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:04:22 am by Max™ »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2015, 01:24:59 am »

Hmm. I wonder if I mod in headbutting as an attack, can it krav-maga'd into a neck break by catching the neck mid-attack, or would it only interrupt the attack if I grabbed the head?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2015, 03:19:33 am »

You would have to interrupt by catching and then lock the joint I think, so it would be at least a couple steps.

Does breaking a neck kill?

Glatux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2015, 09:24:47 am »

You would have to interrupt by catching and then lock the joint I think, so it would be at least a couple steps.

It doesn't kill instantly but they die of suffocation pretty quickly(assuming they need to breath)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2015, 12:13:15 pm »

It seems like it would work as well as catching a stab by grabbing the offending hand does. Since the catch automatically secures the initial step of grabbing the body part, you can usually get a lock.

And unless they're vampires or otherwise don't care about breathing, it'll kill them. Also sharply reduces their offensive options and cripples their mobility due to their limbs being neutralized. owo

EDIT: I also wholeheartedly suggest the name Lish Gídthur (Wicked Grasp) for modding-induced neck-snaps.

EDIT 2: Okay, neck-breaking is hard to pull off on night trolls. Ar ëtul remained useful as an opening technique, as about the only way I could create an opening was to jump at the damn thing until I got lucky and bowled it over. Afterward I could reliably connect a grab while standing over my target, preventing it from dodging. Still almost killed me.

More spoilering due to image size:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:56:44 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2015, 04:49:52 pm »

Momguzumid
(Dragonfall)

An advanced combination of Akunakith and Korumid Abod, best left to the speedier and more experienced practitioners.

With the two foundation techniques one is limited by the tendency of a mobile and aware foe to dodge away from a high-speed Hawkwrath, or simply being too large for a shorter range Cave-in Strike to be fully effective at knocking them down and away.

Assuming one possesses the necessary speed and opportunity to reach it, you start the approach as you would with Hawkwrath, leaving a bit of leeway for the opponent to move towards or away from you, with the ultimate goal of being adjacent the target, at maximum speed, with your jumping arc towards them.

Now you need to prepare a one-handed grab on a weapon, shield, or armor without starting it, as the set-up is key to maximum effectiveness with a Dragonfall.

Once you have the target in mind, initiate your leap through the target, and this is important: though you may see an opportunity to attempt a strike, your opponent may see an opportunity to roll out of your way before you reach them.

By starting a second grapple during your jump, however, you can prevent any such escapes completely.

When correctly executed you will find yourself holding your enemies weapon or armor, while they slide across the ground before you. If you feel uncomfortable with ripping the equipment from your foes so harshly, simply share it with their allies, or give it back to them in whatever way seems most fitting at the time.

Also remember that you can disarm one opponent and jump through another, which understandably results in rather demoralized foes.

In this case I took the mace from one goblin and gave it to the bow user, while leaping into the recruit goblin:

This time (after casually batting an arrow away with my hammer, awesome) I plucked the bow out of the hands of one while slamming into another, and striking a second bow user with the weapon from the first:

This was actually more steps, as I initiated a Dragonfall on the swordgoblin, threw it into the guts of the lasher, landed and grabbed the mace one was holding and used my hammer to knock them back, before finally throwing that mace at the other swordgoblin:

Yes, it feels just as badass doing it as you might imagine it would.

How do you prepare an attack without starting it? What is the order for doing the Momguzumid, is it (grab weapon)-(jump)-(grab bodypart)?
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Shellcore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2015, 05:56:53 pm »

The non-escalation worked on a few boars for the flesh fling and hawkwrath and some cave-ins, but anything with a weapon usually killed me before testing other moves because of them being trained and lucky. You can make enemies skip across rivers with a hawkwrath, which is hilarious and very useful. (would post a pic but still have no idea how to post images on this forum)

@Magnus
It is not an attack, but a grapple. You grapple the enemies weapon on the wrestling screen, press "j" instead of waiting, and you get a 100% hit chance jump. Wrestling stops you from jumping, but jumping after a fresh grapple allows you to do it. I believe the second grapple is meant to just gain the advantage on them after they land. Basically a hawkwrath combined with a cave-in strike followed by some wrestling to subdue them if I am correct.
@Max
Maybe it sends you both flying based off the reports?
@Random_Dragon
Ar ëtul is mainly a luck based emergency move for opponents who are better at wrestling before they manage to break your legs. Cave-in strikes seem better, but I am not sure that chances what the chances of hitting them with a jump are compared to managing a successful grapple unless you are catching their attack of course. Against animals while having low observer and wrestling however, Ar ëtul is good.
From what I remember, falling damage is modelled by the floor hitting YOU.  It is possible that if this is also done for wall collisions, that a dog bumping into the wall is modelled as being smacked in the face by a giant boulder.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2015, 05:59:53 pm »

Lots of them work.

Run up to someone at high speed, choose attack, pick target, pick multi, then aim your jump and hit your dpad or tap comma. Run up and grab weapon/bodypart, aim jump, hit dpad or comma, run up and aim jump, choose target, hit comma, run up and aim attack, aim jump, drink blood, with variations like wrestle target a to grab weapon, aim jump through target b, then feed on target c and slam into anyone in the way of your jump.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2015, 12:38:27 am »

@Random_Dragon
Ar ëtul is mainly a luck based emergency move for opponents who are better at wrestling before they manage to break your legs. Cave-in strikes seem better, but I am not sure that chances what the chances of hitting them with a jump are compared to managing a successful grapple unless you are catching their attack of course. Against animals while having low observer and wrestling however, Ar ëtul is good.

I mentioned Ar ëtul mainly because Hawkwrath implies having room to build up running speed. But yeah, for my modestly-skilled adventurer, I had trouble getting anything else to work.

Also, I think I have another less derpy point I discovered.

Normally kicks seem underwhelming, as their damage boost seems outweighed by speed. A quick strike works, but...as far as I can tell, it seems like wild strikes are rather useful if you can land an accurate more, having faster windup and damage but having worse accuracy and recovery.

EDIT: Case in point, it does prove useful for finishing off foes that aren't vulnerable to a skull-crushing due to size.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:57:28 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2015, 08:23:37 am »

Rashgur Nitem (Attack Vision)

Practitioners of Kisat Dur will occasionally find themselves facing opponents that either do not use weapons or dual-wield them, or that have several limbs. Such opponents are less vulnerable to techniques such as Sodel Ar, Asas Okab and Okab Abod, because the practitioner does not necessarily know which arm the opponent will strike with. The trained eye of a seasoned warrior can ascertain this by detecting the subtle way an opponent telegraphs their attacks, but such proficiency in observation may take years to obtain. To an intermediate practitioner, an attacking opponent may look like this:

The practitioner does not know which hand to grab, but that is because they are stuck in a defensive mode of thinking. They must refocus their mind, not on grabbing the opponent, but on attacking them. Then, it will become obvious which one of the opponent's fists is currently heading towards the practitioner:

Always remember, that two opponents facing each other are mirrored. Do not try to catch their right hand with your right, instead, catch it with your left:

And the attack is broken.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:25:13 am by Magnus »
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2015, 12:06:11 pm »

Rashgur Nitem (Attack Vision)

...oh derp. Are you serious? I didn't realize the combat affects of a body part's LEFT and RIGHT tokens could be used like that. owo

EDIT: Quote spoilered because I am a dummy, also fixed the forum formatting not liking it when I reference DF tokens correctly boxed-in.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:50:26 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2015, 12:42:00 pm »

Why do people insist on quoting an image that is directly above them still evades me.
Spoilers people!
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37