Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37

Author Topic: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art  (Read 223042 times)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
Re: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art
« Reply #210 on: May 06, 2015, 09:40:01 am »

PTW, awesome lore, Stalin! Waiting for the Chuck Norris roundhouse kick.  ;D
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Galena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 18, 2015, 08:53:58 am »

PTW
He listed off what sounded like a lot of painful-sounding procedures that needed to be done, then proceeded to immediately throw a party.

YHVH

• Bay Watcher
  • Batshit Insane God
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 29, 2015, 03:47:33 pm »

Someone beat me with a Fist of the North Reference. Other than that, we got an effective system for unarmed players.

Kisat Dur is Hokuto Shinken, while normal unarmed combat is something only a mohawked thug would use.

Omae wa mou shindeiru.
So, now I have a moat filled with magma AND patrolled by ghosts. It is quite nice actually.

DgN13

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 07, 2015, 02:52:08 pm »

This is a minor necropost but since these techniques still apply to the current version I figure it's justifiable.

I've written a step-by-step manual to Dwarf Fortress combat based on the techniques in this topic. Major difference is that my manual is much more prescriptive: less "here is a list of techniques -- don't ask me when to use them!" and more "here is how you can run a fight from start to finish against an ordinary humanoid NPC." The motivation is that I noticed is that a lot of people made comments about the utility of each attack -- things like "this always works" or "this doesn't work against armored opponents" but nobody consolidated all that utility information.

The text runs pretty close to the original text in a few places but most of it was rewritten and the organization is significantly changed.

The font is much friendlier too, so you can feel much more at ease about your serial killer rampages.

Kisat Dur: How To Become Strong and Defeat Anybody

Redistribute or print or whatever you do as you like, although I'm not an experienced Dwarf Fortress player and I will probably need to make some corrections as I discover errors.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 07, 2015, 04:06:38 pm »

Neato. Given it a quick skim and it looks like you've covered the techniques in a way that's easy to understand.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 07, 2015, 04:47:45 pm »

Nice job DgN13!

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 08, 2015, 06:00:44 am »

@Broseph Stalin - this is awesome!  Do you mind if I host a copy at https://df-walkthrough.rtfd.org ?

@DgN13 ...and can I include some of your version?  It's great!
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 08, 2015, 12:14:16 pm »

@Broseph Stalin - this is awesome!  Do you mind if I host a copy at https://df-walkthrough.rtfd.org ?

Go for it

DgN13

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 08, 2015, 05:10:17 pm »

Sure. Like I mentioned, you can redistribute it however you want. Do you want some of the source document?

(Regardless how you answer I'll probably post it in a sec, because whether or not you want it specifically, someone else probably will.)

Source document, compatible with the Lyx text-editor: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7567446/HostedOrDepended/dwarven-martial-arts.lyx . Plaintext, Windows-EOLs: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7567446/HostedOrDepended/dwarven-martial-arts.txt .
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 05:21:40 pm by DgN13 »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 08, 2015, 05:16:39 pm »

Go for it
Sure. Like I mentioned, you can redistribute it however you want. Do you want some of the source document?

(Regardless how you answer I'll probably post it in a sec, because whether or not you want it specifically, someone else probably will.)
Thanks, both of you.  Yeah, source will probably be nicer to work with than copying from a PDF  ;D

I'll post again here once it's online.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

DgN13

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 08, 2015, 05:39:40 pm »

For what it's worth, since you're using ReStructuredText, I'm pretty sure I can use Pandoc to get you an approximate RST version. I'll edit this post with the results in a sec.

EDIT: Pandoc's best-guess attempt at turning this into ReStructuredText. It looks pretty accurate to me. Because I was sloppy and mixed paragraphs with definition lists in Latex, Pandoc did the same in RST. You may want to fix that up. (you'll notice that most of the combat moves use RST titles while the croc section uses RST definition lists)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7567446/HostedOrDepended/dwarven-martial-arts.rst
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 05:46:00 pm by DgN13 »

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 26, 2015, 08:34:08 am »

This thread is the gravy!
Il make a giant pc and try it out
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 29, 2015, 09:58:49 pm »

This reminds me of Rex Kwon Do.
-An Anthropological Study as an Adventurer-
The Adventures of Lord Cikul Knifejoke
The Under Appreciated Anthropologist of Steel
-A Fortress History-
The Founding of an Egypto-Dwarven Outpost
Life in Canyonfuture

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 30, 2015, 11:48:19 am »

A very dangerous move, for yourself and your foes.

Anriznil: The Skyhammer

Best effects are had with a climbing foe, it is easier to do cleanly when you are also climbing, perhaps trying to escape or merely luring them into position for this.

When they come up below you, simply grab hold of them.

Now, you could throw them off of the wall, but that isn't nearly dwarven enough for our purposes.

No, what you want to do is target a take-down, and to complete the move you just let go... of the wall.

Resist the urge to grab at it and arrest your fall, your foe would be better off if you did.

Now all you have to do is maintain your focus and commitment to the way... of the Lucha!

They exploded, for the record. There were chunks scattered all over the place.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 01, 2015, 12:46:55 pm »

Hmm. What if you just chucked the opponent without letting go, then let go if they land underneath you?

Dwarven atomic leg drop.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37