Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 37

Author Topic: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art  (Read 223293 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art
« Reply #240 on: January 01, 2016, 12:29:00 pm »

Just a tip: Charging is very good if you're larger than the opponent. A stunned enemy is about half as effective as an alert one, and a well-executed charge can change the course of a fight.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 01, 2016, 10:47:57 pm »

I never knew that you could predict strikes by looking at YOUR chance to hit a body part.
Elaborate?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 01, 2016, 10:50:20 pm »

Elaborate?
Rashgur Nitem
The enemy is attacking you but you aren't sure how. You begin as though you're striking and look at your likelihood to hit each body part. If it's hard to hit the right hand but easy to hit the left hand it's because they're about to punch you with their left hand.

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 02, 2016, 03:31:51 am »

I started up an unarmed Black Bear Man adventurer for the sole purpose of trying out this mystical art of Kisat Dur.

I intended to perhaps try it against bandits, but lo and behold my bear started in an elven retreat, and all they wanted to tell me about was a bronze collossus halfway across the world! I decided then it was time to test my new-found art of the bear fist on these troublesome elves.

So far I have:
- Intercepted a punch mid-flight, breaking the wrist with my grab and causing them to give into pain
- Performed a piledriver by throwing the elf at my feet, accidentally knocking myself over but stunning them long enough for me to get up and crush his head under my foot
- Pulled off a legendary Triple Threat Strike by performing three quick blows to an elf's head, once with my left hand, next with my right, then finally a savage kick that crushed his head into a lump of gore.
- Gotten tired. Remember to put points in endurance, kids!

Every now and then one of these elves gets a little hit in, and it's slowly building up. Kisat Dur is strong, and will surely make you stronger than many others who are untrained in this art, but even a mighty practitioner is but one dwarf (or bear) alone.

Until we can command our followers in the art of Kisat Dur, just keep that in mind.
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

Draximo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 02, 2016, 04:28:57 pm »

My Mooseman adventurer is pretty beastly. I turned him and the non werecreatures in my group into vampires, punches can explode a human upper body into gore. Kicks and punches send anything human sized and smaller flying, so I got to have a 300 moment by a well and some not so fortunate bandits that robbed a dwarf bard of his wara in front of me. Jumping into opponents is quite hilarious, "moosewrath" is really effective since i believe moosemen are about 4 times larger than a human. In celebration i made an elf drink a book and did a little dance. I killed the goblins because they are thieves, i killed the dwarf because he was a water drinking coward of a dwarf lol.

Feniks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 20, 2016, 06:48:20 pm »

I did about 10 attempts to take hydra down with legendary skills sadly it's not possible I gues we found the limits of dwarven martial arts.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 20, 2016, 07:02:18 pm »

Hydra are huge and you can't just break a limb to dump them with pain, even with superdorfy modded abilities, I can hack their heads off with a masterwork steel or better battle axe and high skills but punching them requires a bit of dfhack tweaking.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 20, 2016, 07:04:32 pm »

I did about 10 attempts to take hydra down with legendary skills sadly it's not possible I gues we found the limits of dwarven martial arts.
What are you saying? You couldn't kill a hydra unarmed? It's hard to understand.

And anyway, I've done it before. I managed to choke all seven throats until the hydra suffocated.

EDIT: Thinking back, that was in 0.34, before the combat overhaul. I just tried to strangle a hydra in arena mode really quick and died like nothing.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 07:11:51 pm by TheFlame52 »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 20, 2016, 07:18:30 pm »

Yeah, they move slowly but attack normally now.

Feniks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 21, 2016, 07:58:15 am »

My greatest success was bruising one lung. I believe that if I manage to bruise 2 lungs and just run away and play on time hydra would eventually suffocate.

Kisat Dur is fun to know about but as a final result steel sword will have better success. Playing as Elephant-man on the other hand I butchered everything there is barehanded.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 21, 2016, 08:51:53 am »

Knocking all their teeth out would stop the biting. That would take a whole lot of kick/dodge, but you can get seven heads worth of novelty throwing weapons.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 21, 2016, 09:59:35 am »

A steel sword will never be as demoralizing to a group of bandits as a wall of steel smashing into one of their own, disarming them, hurtling them skidding and bouncing across the ground, and without missing a beat pegging someone with the weapon taken from their teammate.

I've literally had them turn and run after the first tackle, which makes sense, I wouldn't want anything to do with a psycho like that either.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2016, 10:32:46 am »

This one is probably listed, but when fighting groups I like to slash motor nerves in both wrists in one turn then dodge around to the next. This drops their weapons and shields to the ground but leaves them conscious so you can still develop skills on them, or give novice companions a fighting chance against them. It's quicker and surer than severing their spinal column. They can still run away, but that scatters them so you have smaller numbers to deal with at once.

YHVH

• Bay Watcher
  • Batshit Insane God
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 22, 2016, 10:41:02 am »

So I did some Kisat Dur against an elf in object testing mode. I was a bronze colossus and I managed to get a gelding strike on the elf after body slamming him.
So, now I have a moat filled with magma AND patrolled by ghosts. It is quite nice actually.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 22, 2016, 01:21:52 pm »

...ouch. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 37