Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37

Author Topic: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art  (Read 223355 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art
« Reply #420 on: January 07, 2017, 11:25:03 pm »

I had a bunch of bandit weapon lords I disarmed and started throwing around, letting them start attacks and then trying to toss them into each other, that one where it was glancing away was because they got bashed out of the way by the other one I threw.

Did this for a while.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 07, 2017, 11:30:29 pm »

I had fun with the bandits I met earlier in my last adventure, disarmed the bowman and crossbowman easily using these tricks.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 08, 2017, 11:40:53 am »

I'm running a D&D-but-not game in a Dwarf Fortress world. I told my players about Kisat Dur. Now they want to learn it.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 08, 2017, 12:59:31 pm »

Cool, I remember some people trying to make a GURPS combat system out of it. I play a little D&D and batted around the idea of doing something with Kisat Dur, maybe a monk class with a bigger focus on savagery than spirituality but honestly I don't think I know enough. Let us know how it goes.

Sidenote: Some awesome person translated this into french. Thanks awesome person! Or in french:Je suis un imbécile qui fait confiance à google.

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/forums/42-26763-49502044-1-0-1-0-kisat-dur-l-art-martial-des-nains.htm

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 08, 2017, 03:09:38 pm »

So, been experimenting with ways to make the "grab with wielded object" technique. In older versions of the game, you allegedly could grapple with a held object, but it was presumably removed to avoid absurdity like strangling someone with a coin. You can still initiate a grab with a held object, but the grab automatically releases afterward.

No luck so far. Grabbing an incoming weapon with your weapon doesn't count as interrupting the attack, and haven't yet been able to use any grappling-related exploits with it.

Dangit, I was gonna call it Estun (Bind) too. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 08, 2017, 03:28:44 pm »

Cool, I remember some people trying to make a GURPS combat system out of it. I play a little D&D and batted around the idea of doing something with Kisat Dur, maybe a monk class with a bigger focus on savagery than spirituality but honestly I don't think I know enough. Let us know how it goes.
I call it D&Desque because people know what that is, if I tell them I'm running Land of Omen I get stupidface. Basically, I make up the rules as I go, stats are just a guideline, skills are what really matter, and don't bother writing down HP because we deal in wounds here.

Kisat Dur would probably be much like what it is in DF, since systems deal with injuries rather than HP.

Badargo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 25, 2017, 08:37:50 pm »

I really love this idea but I find it a bit hard to perform.

If you dont use shield I think you need a huge domudge skill or you will end up with many, many, many scars. Last time I tried sparring with a cat and legendary dodge + 0 and it still dented my skin and a few times. They need to attack you tens of times but still, but theres always a chance of receiving a "lucky" strike.

A shield would prevent such thing as it back up the dodge skill, but going with fists alone, you cant even parry the attacks. Dodge training must be much more intense if you want to pratice this art.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 25, 2017, 09:33:29 pm »

There are a couple of things to keep in mind.  First, kisat dur is most effective against humanoids.  The idea is that if you disarm your opponent, they have no skill in hand to hand and you will wipe the floor with them pretty easily.

However, also keep the techniques of nabusuthar (divine first) and sodel ar (shield of flesh) in mind.  With nabusuthar, if your observation is high enough, you can detect what technique your opponent will launch and interrupt it with sodel ar.  Fertharnas (the beast slayer) is also aimed at fighting beasts (obviously ;-) ).  Keep your distance and allow *them* to close the gap.  Because beasts have no armour, scratches can open arteries.  Once you have opened a major artery, you have won and you can simply keep your distance until they bleed out.

Against smaller opponents (like a kitten), you really have a massive advantage (literally).  To perform Aknunakith (hawkwrath), injur all of the feet of the opponent.  At this point you can create space and then launch yourself at them.  They will not be able to dodge effectively.  A single application of this will likely end the fight entirely.

One last one, (and I can't remember the name) that is *really* effective against beasts is the fact that they have limited numbers of weapons.  For a kitten, it is bite and scratch (with one of the 4 paws).  Even if you can't use nabusuthar (because your skill is too low), you can look at those 5 potential targets.  The one that is easiest to hit for you, is the one that they are using to attack you with.  Intercept with sodel ar.  With a small opponent like a kitten, the fight is now over, because you can simply throw the opponent.  This will stun them.  Use charge attacks to follow their flight path and they will likely be dead before they hit the ground (use the advantages you have for *not* wearing armour!!!)

Larger opponents are more dangerous because you can't throw them.  The key is always to think defensively.  Create space.  Let them close the gap (as with fertharnas).  Use zimeshabod (phantom strike) to position yourself advantageously.  Take opportunities to use stot abodstuton (surprise gut strike).  Once the opponent is nauseous, you have won because their speed is half and you can now intercept every single attack, while still attacking yourself.

The best thing to do is just go out in the wilderness and train.  At first you will pick up lots and lots of scars, but eventually you will learn how to defend yourself.  One quick tip, which I'm not sure is in this thread is that when you are doing wrestling moves, press comma, not period, to wait for it to have effect.  If you use period, you will be standing around like a sitting duck most of the time.  The only time you want to use period is if you are waiting for them to bridge the gap (and even then I tend to use comma so that I can respond in the exact tic that they are in range).

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 26, 2017, 05:28:46 pm »

If facing off against a huge opponent who can easily grapple and break your limbs, a less-skilled practitioner is at a massively heavy disadvantage. I personally find that (assuming it's not something with huge defence like a bronze colossus) wasting turns trying to escape the grab is futile. At that point, unless further grappling arises, the practitioner should give the part being grappled with absolute hell in the hope that it breaks. In addition, keeping the enemy busy performing other actions stops them preparing to break a joint or pinch a useful part.
Just throwing in my experiences from fighting big things :P
thincake

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 26, 2017, 08:41:07 pm »

Interesting.  Going up against a bigger foe who can wrestle is something I have had no success with.  So when you say, "the practitioner should give the part being grappled with absolute hell", do you mean that you should target the opponent's limbs to make it more difficult to grapple in the future? 

Badargo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 28, 2017, 06:04:56 pm »

I seems elephant seal man is a huge playable race. They should be able to wrestle anything... and throw it miles away! Imagine a vampire elephant seal sucking blood? Hahaha..

What about spider man? It ahs 6 arms u know... were talking 6 punches in a single turn here guys! It has to be the ultimate puncher!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 28, 2017, 06:20:46 pm »

Unfortunately its also half the size of a dwarf. VERY fragile.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 28, 2017, 11:41:23 pm »

I seems elephant seal man is a huge playable race. They should be able to wrestle anything... and throw it miles away! Imagine a vampire elephant seal sucking blood? Hahaha..

Unfortunately, elephant seal men can't jump, which makes them kind of disappointing.

What about spider man? It ahs 6 arms u know... were talking 6 punches in a single turn here guys! It has to be the ultimate puncher!

Imagine six 5 year old children punching you at once. That's how good spider men are at unarmed. With nice sharp swords and hella shields, they're still quite effective since they have [NOPAIN] and some other useful intrinsics, but they're not terribly effective as wrasslers.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:43:33 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 12, 2017, 07:40:38 pm »

🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 12, 2017, 07:48:38 pm »

Urist McPost-Apocalyptic-Wrestler cancels drink: already dead.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37