Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37

Author Topic: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art  (Read 221719 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2015, 07:33:51 pm »

Korumid Abod is directional, I've enjoyed using it to send foes flying off of mountains.
One time a lone bandit was charging at me after ambushing me in a town. I sprinted at him and jumped, causing him to go flying and crack his head open on the ground. It was a very anticlimactic fight.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2015, 08:18:02 pm »

Nidostegul (Ferocious Control)

A standard throw is used on the enemy and practitioner quickly moves to their position before they land. This is easier with weaker throws as a strong throw requires the foe to be pursued.This leaves the practitioner standing over the prone and stunned enemy. From this position victory can be quickly had. If executed improperly the enemy may strike the practitioner knocking himself to the ground in the process.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 08:20:00 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2015, 10:53:09 pm »

Idrazoluth (Dog Combat)

The teeth are an often neglected weapon in combat. The practitioner may find their jaws effective tools in situations where other tactics may fail to impress. There are two primary objectives of biting: inflict tearing damage and blood loss without a weapon and inspire terror in the enemy.

The Asasokab could have ended this conflict as quickly as Idrazoluth but the terror it inspires in the elf to be so dismembered is unique to this style. The key to successful biting is choosing the proper target, biting off a finger, ear, or tearing off a hand is more effective than simply gnawing at the chest. Idrazoluth has the power to destroy nerves permanently debilitating an enemy. Should the opportunity present itself a practitioner may even bite at the throat ending the battle in a single stroke.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2015, 04:04:21 am »

Momguzumid
(Dragonfall)

An advanced combination of Akunakith and Korumid Abod, best left to the speedier and more experienced practitioners.

With the two foundation techniques one is limited by the tendency of a mobile and aware foe to dodge away from a high-speed Hawkwrath, or simply being too large for a shorter range Cave-in Strike to be fully effective at knocking them down and away.

Assuming one possesses the necessary speed and opportunity to reach it, you start the approach as you would with Hawkwrath, leaving a bit of leeway for the opponent to move towards or away from you, with the ultimate goal of being adjacent the target, at maximum speed, with your jumping arc towards them.

Now you need to prepare a one-handed grab on a weapon, shield, or armor without starting it, as the set-up is key to maximum effectiveness with a Dragonfall.

Once you have the target in mind, initiate your leap through the target, and this is important: though you may see an opportunity to attempt a strike, your opponent may see an opportunity to roll out of your way before you reach them.

By starting a second grapple during your jump, however, you can prevent any such escapes completely.

When correctly executed you will find yourself holding your enemies weapon or armor, while they slide across the ground before you. If you feel uncomfortable with ripping the equipment from your foes so harshly, simply share it with their allies, or give it back to them in whatever way seems most fitting at the time.

Also remember that you can disarm one opponent and jump through another, which understandably results in rather demoralized foes.

In this case I took the mace from one goblin and gave it to the bow user, while leaping into the recruit goblin:

This time (after casually batting an arrow away with my hammer, awesome) I plucked the bow out of the hands of one while slamming into another, and striking a second bow user with the weapon from the first:

This was actually more steps, as I initiated a Dragonfall on the swordgoblin, threw it into the guts of the lasher, landed and grabbed the mace one was holding and used my hammer to knock them back, before finally throwing that mace at the other swordgoblin:

Yes, it feels just as badass doing it as you might imagine it would.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2015, 10:59:11 am »

Is it possible to throw something at someone while they are in flight? Because if so, you could catch a weapon, throw the opponent then then throw the weapon while the opponent is still in the air (and possibly unable to block/dodge)!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2015, 11:06:18 am »

You can try but they're both projectiles and pass through each other sadly, tried lots of times but no luck at all.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2015, 12:07:59 pm »

Something I've noticed happen. Sometimes when a grab for an incoming limb misses you still get the "catch" and the grab behaves as it's successful.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2015, 01:14:55 pm »

Breaking Reality 101: it's possible to sometimes grab an incoming limb even if your hand doesn't touch it at all.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2015, 01:23:51 pm »

Yup, that's how Dragonfall works, the mid-jump grapple doesn't actually seem to hit but it prevents them from rolling out of the way.

For flavor sometimes I like to DBZ it up and grab their neck with one hand, then do a take-down for the whole "holding your foe against the ground as you fly along with them" effect.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2015, 02:33:45 pm »

Someone really should write up a wiki article on this with the various tricks copypasta'd in and make the various in-references linked in as different sections for quick look-ups.

oh_no

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2015, 03:07:36 pm »

Breaking Reality 101: it's possible to sometimes grab an incoming limb even if your hand doesn't touch it at all.

The force is strong with this one....

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2015, 03:58:08 pm »

Since this is dwarven martial arts, shouldn't there be more emphasis on the fact that most conflicts will have a comparative size difference (between practioner/enemy)?

Since dwarves are in general smaller than their opponents, I would imagine throws to be discouraged, while techniques that render the opponent prone to be more prominient. (Btw does anyone know what throwing is based on? Other than strength of course; it would be quite interesting to see if balance plays into throwing dynamics, a la Judo or Jujitsu)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2015, 04:08:02 pm »

Since this is dwarven martial arts, shouldn't there be more emphasis on the fact that most conflicts will have a comparative size difference (between practioner/enemy)?

Since dwarves are in general smaller than their opponents, I would imagine throws to be discouraged, while techniques that render the opponent prone to be more prominient. (Btw does anyone know what throwing is based on? Other than strength of course; it would be quite interesting to see if balance plays into throwing dynamics, a la Judo or Jujitsu)

Surprisingly no. Dwarves Elves and Goblins all have an adult size of 60,000 kobolds have a size of 20,000 and Humans have a size of 70,000. Dwarves can comfortably throw any of them. Failure usually means a slightly larger specimen.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2015, 07:28:43 pm »

Surprisingly no. Dwarves Elves and Goblins all have an adult size of 60,000 kobolds have a size of 20,000 and Humans have a size of 70,000. Dwarves can comfortably throw any of them. Failure usually means a slightly larger specimen.

I'm a little confused as to how sizes work with regards to throwing. First, are the the sizes you've stated (taken from the raws, I assume) absolutes or are they averages? IIRC dwarves can vary in size within a population (I've read that some dwarves are big enough to one-hand two-handed weapons e.g) will that effect anything? And also does weight come into play with throwing? (I would imagine it is harder to throw an enemy fully equipped with armor than one that is just wearing clothing).

And finally, back to the question about balance, I just did some test, but they prove inconclusive. Its very difficult to tell it seems.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2015, 07:44:12 pm »

I'm a little confused as to how sizes work with regards to throwing. First, are the the sizes you've stated (taken from the raws, I assume) absolutes or are they averages? IIRC dwarves can vary in size within a population (I've read that some dwarves are big enough to one-hand two-handed weapons e.g) will that effect anything? And also does weight come into play with throwing? (I would imagine it is harder to throw an enemy fully equipped with armor than one that is just wearing clothing).

And finally, back to the question about balance, I just did some test, but they prove inconclusive. Its very difficult to tell it seems.

They're averages. Creatures can be much smaller or much larger. You are never guaranteed to be able to throw around your opponent but being a dwarf doesn't seem to handicap you. Strength does factor into your ability to execute a throw but item weight doesn't seem to be a problem. I gave an elf 15,000 pounds of equipment and it flew a full tile when thrown.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37