Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37

Author Topic: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art  (Read 222837 times)

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
Re: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art
« Reply #525 on: March 17, 2021, 03:56:19 pm »

So, does that mean small, fast creatures make for incredibly powerful fighters?

It kinda lines up with what i saw with the dark imps that i modded in at one point; their "dash" gait gave them maximum possible speed, while consuming barely any energy.
They could literally kick humans out of an adventurer's vision radius, despite being only as big as a kobold... It might have also had something to do with the fact that their kick also had 5000 velocity modifier. :P

It was fun playing kickball, with a human as the ball... Until the human died from internal trauma of course, then i had to find another to kick around.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 18, 2021, 10:28:24 pm »

So, does that mean small, fast creatures make for incredibly powerful fighters?
Yes, that's mostly so. Creatures with more mass will always have the advantage in wrestling and charging, but for striking, smaller creatures gain more from the mass*velocity = momentum formula. I'll try to break it down simply.

Your damage output from a strike is due to mass*velocity of whatever you're striking with, be that fists, kicks or melee weapons. Both strength and agility will drive your attack velocity, but increases to strength also increases muscle mass and reduces the velocity on a curve. Muscle mass increases in proportion to the creature's base size, so for larger creatures the mass gains can cancel out and reverse velocity gains, but for smaller creatures, the curve will continue to rise. Point for point of strength, a smaller creature can strike with more velocity.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 19, 2021, 11:29:44 am »

This seems kinda backwards to me. I mean, if it only concerns blunt attacks maybe, but every megabeast with claws and teeth tends to laugh at this notion of velocity and calls it (along with my unlucky headless adventurers) smol.

So either this suggestion doesn't play out as claimed with edged natural attacks, or eventually at a certain level of size it balances back out in the larger creature's favor.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 20, 2021, 08:08:46 pm »

This seems kinda backwards to me. I mean, if it only concerns blunt attacks maybe, but every megabeast with claws and teeth tends to laugh at this notion of velocity and calls it (along with my unlucky headless adventurers) smol.

So either this suggestion doesn't play out as claimed with edged natural attacks, or eventually at a certain level of size it balances back out in the larger creature's favor.

It doesn't say anything about ability to defend against attacks. A smaller but much faster megabeast would probably decapitate you that much easier, but would also be more vulnerable to being decapitated by you.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 08:10:23 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 28, 2021, 03:49:35 pm »

A spear would be best suited to killing a large megabeast like a hydra, roc or dragon. Human/dwarf scratches or bites probably wont even get through their scales/skin or cause bleeding, I wouldn't even use any offensive kisat dur techniques against them except maybe distracting them with too many attacks. Whats the formula for edged weapon attacks?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 28, 2021, 04:58:15 pm »

You would doubt the arts?

He who masters Kisat Dur masters the world. Really the only thing that can stop you is a bronze colossus or similarly solid megabeast. If it has a brain, and it needs a brain, you can kill it with your bare hands (and maybe a shield because being on fire sucks).

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 28, 2021, 10:57:56 pm »

I stand corrected. I've never successfully done so...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

gadestryll

• Bay Watcher
  • novice Earth-stricker, dabbling modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 06, 2021, 05:35:11 am »

Suppose you got wrestled by a larger, immune to pain creature (a night troll in my case). You cannot break its grip by struggling and punching/scratching her arm would not free you quick enough to avoid several crippling bites ; how would you handle this situation ?
Money was not the reason, it was an excuse. People farmed mermaids because they could.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 06, 2021, 06:30:05 am »

This is the philosophy of fighting dragons.

If 1/10 punches hit a dragon, and 1/100 punches is hard enough to knock a dragon out, then to kill one all you have to do is be good enough for long enough to punch a dragon a thousand times and live.

The key to Kisat Dur is being good all day so you have a chance to get lucky once. You don't actually know that hitting the hand or arm grabbing you won't instantly do enough damage to free you or that a lucky punch won't instantly down it but you know you don't have a better option. "Grappled by something bigger" is a rough spot to be in, I say swing for the fences and hope that Armok appreciates your audacity.

gadestryll

• Bay Watcher
  • novice Earth-stricker, dabbling modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 06, 2021, 03:19:27 pm »

By the way, I don't really know wether this qualifies as "sharing a technic", but here is something I found out :

Tangath Nog, the trampling foot :

When the practitionner managed to topple its opponent (maybe by performing a Toradadom maneuver), they can resist their instinct to attack the prone adversary and instead focus their mind on moving to prevent the fallen foe from rising just as if they wanted to prevent them from attacking.

To be clear, you can use a dodge move to go on the case occupied by the prone ennemy, hence preventing them from standing up. The "instinct to attack the prone adversary" is supposed to refer to the auto-attack you get if you try to move there
Hope this comes useful
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 03:26:06 pm by gadestryll »
Money was not the reason, it was an excuse. People farmed mermaids because they could.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 06, 2021, 10:37:30 pm »

You would doubt the arts?

He who masters Kisat Dur masters the world. Really the only thing that can stop you is a bronze colossus or similarly solid megabeast. If it has a brain, and it needs a brain, you can kill it with your bare hands (and maybe a shield because being on fire sucks).

How do you block dragon fire using nothing but Kisat Dur??…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 07, 2021, 04:18:00 am »

You can't, you need a shield but even a wooden one will serve.

catnapcat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 27, 2021, 03:16:02 pm »

Golud-Abod: Harvest Strike

While facing enemies head-on is a tried-and-true approach to combat, seizing all opportunities available is the surest path to victory.

The Harvest Strike is based on the principle of "If the enemy doesn't see you coming, the enemy can't defend themselves". If a practitioner sneaks around the enemy's lines of sight and approaches from behind, the practitioner is guaranteed their first strike. In this way, the Harvest Strike most often manifests as a crushing blow to the neck or throat from behind, and if properly executed, can end fights in a single hit. Masters of this often need no second strike, and can clear out entire vaults, leaving a harvest of slowly-suffocating victims in their wake. Enemies will fall like plump helmets, and take less energy to fell.

Does anyone know if wrestling throws can be aimed in some way?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 03:30:25 pm by catnapcat »

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 17, 2021, 09:32:28 pm »

Dragons are born less massive than dwarves and progress in size by 25000 a year. If you play as a creature large enough you can normally suffocate dragon by chocking.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 01, 2021, 04:17:55 am »

Dural ̉stob
A simple ability all dwarfs learn upon first supping alcohol from a barrel as a young child, in the human culture 'spitting' at someone is to show disrespect yet in our dear mountain homes spitting has become a basic combat strategy in all begginer Kisat Dur lessons.
It becomes immediately useful if you perceive an attack to your important living body with hardened steels and alloys your enemy will prefer to avoid the flying spittle and subsequent infection than continue the attack. The better the opponents dodging ability the better this ability.
Beware an important downside, on very windy days you may find yourself dodging your own spittle.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37