Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37

Author Topic: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art  (Read 220361 times)

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 03:43:36 am »

Marital:
Code: [Select]
of or relating to marriage; conjugal; matrimonial:
marital vows; marital discord.

Those are some crazy-ass martial rituals.

oh_no

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 04:07:25 am »

...I almost spit a peppermint at my screen, come on folks, that's not cool, could crack something with one of those. Bad enough half-choking to death on one while laughing.

I would mention that it is really hard to do deliberately, but sometimes the Awe-inspiring Dirthammer Grasps the Baby-Eater produces amazingly funny results:

Bashing one elf out of a tree with another elf, and hitting a third elf in the process?

Hawkwrath is actually very handy to use after you've got stunned/injured elves out of the tree, since they won't/can't/aren't going to be very successful at dodging you.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:13:38 am by Max™ »

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 04:22:11 am »

This is brilliant.... and now i have to make elven martial arts!!!! DEFEND THE NATURE SPIRIT, FIGHT LIKE THE ANIMALS YOU COMMAND!!!!

well... that ended when i got mauled to death by a bear recruit.... thought that bug was fixed... oh well, that's the life death of an adventurer
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:49:26 am by Megaman_zx »
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 05:27:13 am »

I had a cave dragon recruit jump me once, and one fort had a whole army of crundle and flesh ball recruits buzzing around outside.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 06:34:29 am »

PTW
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 10:12:04 am »

This is brilliant.... and now i have to make elven martial arts!!!! DEFEND THE NATURE SPIRIT, FIGHT LIKE THE ANIMALS YOU COMMAND!!!!

well... that ended when i got mauled to death by a bear recruit.... thought that bug was fixed... oh well, that's the life death of an adventurer

Araliiti "invisible spear" was the martial art I was working on for elves but the only practical difference is that elves rely more on agility than strength. Sine dodging isn't very fancy or technical mechanic wise I was only able to come up with Vilelalliwa (Phantom Strike) which I just turned into Zimeshabod (Same).

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 11:57:57 am »

My favorite technique with elves was basically making use of the ability to run around in stealth mode as fast as most other races do normally, so I would let them chase me towards a tree, step out of visibility behind it and let them approach, then slip around just as they came past and stab them in the back of the head, similar to the phantom strike in concept, just making use of the terrain for the disappearance.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 12:24:35 pm »

Korumid abod (Cave-in Strike)

More practical than the Aknunakith the korumid abod uses the same principles to gain sudden advantage against a smaller opponent.

In this case the practitioner is flanked by two enemies armed with iron weapons and shields. Taking the time to disarm one foe would give the other the opportunity to close and attack.

The practitioner selects one enemy, closes with them at speed, and engages.

The practitioner now grabs the weapon and shield with the flanking enemy still trying to close. The practitioner now jumps with all their might slamming into the enemy with their body.

If done correctly the enemy is sent sprawling to the ground with their armaments now controlled by the practitioner. Rather than being flanked by two armed foes the practitioner now faces one staggered and unarmed foe and another he may engage at his leisure.

This may wound, kill, or simply stagger the enemy and put some distance between the practitioner and them. In any case this enemy is a less serious threat and the practitioner may redirect their focus to another.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:16:23 pm by Broseph Stalin »

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 12:35:11 pm »

Nish Vafig: Trade Trick
While this cannot be simulated in Arena Mode, it is extremely useful on the field.
It can be pulled when goblin bandits/militia members aren't hostile but of an enemy civilization.
First, acquire something(s) of good value; being able to make weaponry out of anything using reactions makes this easier, but stealing elven weapons and some valuable yet useless items makes it easier.
Second, initiate trading with the victim. Prime targets are weaponmasters, especially those who are masters of ranged weapons. Trade-disarming normal ranged attackers is also useful. Select your goods, whatever they may be (pants, socks, a tin flask, cucumber leaf spears) and the item you want to take, usually a crossbow/bow/strong melee weapon/shield. Make sure to have extra goods on hand in case you undershoot the value of their goods.
Once they safely have a wiffle bat or something to that effect, combat can be safely initiated, making use of other Kisar Dur moves far more easy.
This relies on the fact that, no matter what, people will accept trades if it's worth significantly more than what you're asking for. While not martial arts, it can be considered a "gateway" strategy; something even the most unskilled peasants can use to their advantage.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 12:54:24 pm »

Korumid Abod is FUCKING AMAZING... why did I never think to try grappling while jumping?

...brb after trying some... things.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 01:39:10 pm »

Sodel Ar (Shield of Flesh)

Grappling tactics are most effective against smaller opponents and this leads to the misperception that wrestling is useless when the foe is large.

Here the practitioner faces a truly mighty opponent, a fully grown giant. This creature cannot be wrestled into submission and an inexperienced fighter may not attempt to grapple at all.

The practitioner sees an incoming blow that may well prove fatal. Dodging is an option but deft hands may arrest the attack.

The practitioner uses strength and speed to stop the strike before it connects. The giant is now off balance and open to attack.

Nabasuthar (Divine First)

The art of Nabasuthar is to know the enemy's decisions before they are made. A Kisat Dur master may identify the exact type of attack the enemy seeks to use the moment they make the decision but even a novice can be aware that an attack comes. A weapon makes the enemy predictable. An enemy with a weapon will rely on the weapon and when the enemy prepares an attack successfully grabbing the weapon will almost always interrupt the attack. Should the enemy have a shield they will next attempt to use the shield. With this knowledge the Sodel Ar can be employed effectively even by a novice. An unarmed foe is less predictable and it may be wiser to dodge than attempt an uncertain grab.

Zilirakith (The Eternal Wrath)

An ineffective strike dissuades novice practitioners. This need not be so. Focusing on an area of attack has compounding effect. Muscle and bone are imperfect and enough impact will cause them to yield.

Fertharnas (TheBeast-Slayer)

Kisat Dur is tailored to combat with warriors. When fighting an animal or monster Kisat Dur is at it's weakest. This does not mean the practitioner is helpless. Animals and beasts seeking a quick meal or defense of their territory will lose interest in vicious prey.

Here the practitioner has stumbled upon a bear. The Practitioner carefully creates space and when the beast steps forward launches a quick strike intended to inflict minor harm.

These injuries may be enough to discourage the foe. If this is not the case a few more strikes may prove sufficient to diminish it's capacity to fight effectively.

If the beast is truly recalcitrant it's lack of armor is a weakness that a strong practitioner may exploit.

The beast is now dead and the practitioner victorious so long as he is successful at maintaining distance.

(Okab Rashgur) Break the Attack

The practitioner recognizes an incoming stirke. Dodging or using Sodel Ar will resolve this easily but a very skilled fighter can use Rashgurokab to intimidate the enemy or avoid escalation via grappling.

The strike intercepts the the enemy's hand before the blow connects. The result is that the attack can cause no real injury.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:20:38 pm by Broseph Stalin »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 03:41:57 pm »

sweet

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 05:49:56 pm »

Broseph Stalin, can you please post the stats/skills of your example practitioners (and their opponents) so we can get an idea of the proficiency necessary to successfully execute these techniques?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 05:58:52 pm »

what skills are needed to pull these off?

Wrestling, striking, and observation are biggies. It also helps to be strong and agile.

In the example, you can see that he gave them legendary in all those skills so as to demonstrate what a master of Kisat Dur can accomplish.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 06:01:05 pm »

Broseph Stalin, can you please post the stats/skills of your example practitioners (and their opponents) so we can get an idea of the proficiency necessary to successfully execute these techniques?

All done with a legendary dwarf. That just means strikes and grabs are more likely to connect, a novice could hypothetically do all of this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37