Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 37

Author Topic: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art  (Read 222778 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2015, 03:12:20 am »

*makes a note to hit Bumber with a panda*

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2015, 06:59:54 am »

*makes a note to hit Bumber with a panda*
A sad panda?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2015, 01:21:45 pm »

It involves tackling the panda beforehand, so... maybe?

Nico2167

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE Bogeymen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2015, 12:42:46 am »

This is one of the best things ive seen in DF, not only is it funny and cool, but it also works wonderfully.

PTW

EDIT: tested with Putnam's Dragon Ball mod, enemies were sent flying everywhere. They were always great melee fighters so this just made them even more dangerous
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:04:45 pm by Nico2167 »
Beware that looking into cross breed babies tend to be hella glitchy and crash the game if you save and reload the game as DF doesn't know how to reproduce what ever the god living hell you made.

t0rchic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2015, 04:01:32 am »

After running out of goblins finally and having taken out the actual leader I took her back home, shared my feats, and moved on to the hamlet nearby where some of my modded race live.

Said race was inspired by the initial thought of "man, I bet a bronze colossus made of better metal would be scary", and ended up with a peaceful but stupidly dangerous race of little steel angel chicks. I used the harpy tile from CLA's awesome set with the metallic colors, and actually have them well incorporated into various worlds (though they tend to run around naked or in nothing but socks a lot

Oh my god, steel chicken people who run around in nothing but socks. I finally came out of lurking to tell you I will pay you 1000 dorfbucks to give me what I need to copy and paste into the raws to have them.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2015, 04:17:29 am »

After running out of goblins finally and having taken out the actual leader I took her back home, shared my feats, and moved on to the hamlet nearby where some of my modded race live.

Said race was inspired by the initial thought of "man, I bet a bronze colossus made of better metal would be scary", and ended up with a peaceful but stupidly dangerous race of little steel angel chicks. I used the harpy tile from CLA's awesome set with the metallic colors, and actually have them well incorporated into various worlds (though they tend to run around naked or in nothing but socks a lot

Oh my god, steel chicken people who run around in nothing but socks. I finally came out of lurking to tell you I will pay you 1000 dorfbucks to give me what I need to copy and paste into the raws to have them.

The creature_standard part, you can change the itemcorpse to something else, I was trying to use them to seed steel gear around the world originally, and had been playing with trying to get a workable daisho setup, so the itemcorpse has to be changed:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...or these need to be added to item_weapon, which is easier since their civs expect to be able to make them:
With those in place you can then put this into entity_default and they should load up with a few scattered civs making a couple of hamlets at the edges of mountain ranges, if gen goes on long enough you'll get a few mead halls which will be full of various pieces of steel armor and weapons in dorf/elf sizes:
I haven't fiddled too much with them once I got them working and loading up/surviving worldgen consistently, beyond the whole "hmmm, wonder what it would be like if I hacked in the dragonfire breath interaction", learning that you can use clean for a usage hint to keep them from spamming it on all encounters... and learning that fireimmune_super creatures seem to find nothing unusual about bathing each other with dragonfire.

Oh, they should be playable from their civ and as an outsider, though they don't spread much (no males, a deliberate choice as I didn't want tens of thousands of them razing the world, the only ambush more terrifying than an angel I had recently was one of the dark age mod elder vampires using the speed boost and rushing me at 9.990 speed, angels default to 6.666) I've found that they can survive some of the most screwed up worldgens, horribly evil, billions of megabeasts, the type of stuff where only a few gobs and necromancers survive normally.

t0rchic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2015, 04:30:24 am »

(Max™ Being an awesome person)
Thanks a ton, I'll probably be switching them to drop high quality steel statues instead of katanas. You went above and beyond with that post.

Sorry for temporarily derailing the thread

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2015, 04:38:21 am »

Not a prob, they're fun for when you just wanna run around and punch the brains out of stuff, stand quietly and consider life in the middle of a forest retreat roaring inferno, tackle sasquatches, or my most used reason: rescuing bodies/gear from horrible places. Like the dorf I equipped with artifact goodies, trained, did some bandit hunting in the area, fleshed out a bunch of troublespots on the map, headed for the nearest lair and stepped in goop that left me unconscious in a fever til a scorp killed me... angel was handy for retrieving the stuff without dying in the process >.>, but they are relevant for the thread actually!

Momentum is king, and even if you aren't very large, you can in fact tackle surprisingly large things as long as you're made of steel and moving at 6.666 speed... which seems like a good reason for a kisat dur practitioner to invest in armor user skill and plate armor.

Oh, and technically it is a bug, but I feel like it could be justified as a technique, though I'm not sure what to call it.

If you put a shield in your backpack along with a weapon, remove the weapon, then pick up a couple of rocks/remove them so you have two in your offhand, you can remove the shield and hold it in the same hand as your weapon.

Why, you ask?

Once you drop those rocks you've now got a free hand for grabbing weapons/armor/climbing/etc, while still having a weapon AND shield handy.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2015, 11:21:26 pm »

Yeah, this is a dwarven technique called the Shield Wall[Not sure what that'd be in actual dwarven]. It lets you hold an infinite number of objects in one hand. Usually its used to hold a fuckton of leather shields so you get a bajillion blocks per turn. Although I once saw that technique used by an old and grizzled veteran in fort mode who'd lost a hand and a leg to hold his hammer, shield and crutch in the same hand.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2015, 12:53:28 am »

Sodeladil is Shieldwall in dorfspeak.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2015, 10:05:10 am »

Yeah, this is a dwarven technique called the Shield Wall[Not sure what that'd be in actual dwarven]. It lets you hold an infinite number of objects in one hand. Usually its used to hold a fuckton of leather shields so you get a bajillion blocks per turn. Although I once saw that technique used by an old and grizzled veteran in fort mode who'd lost a hand and a leg to hold his hammer, shield and crutch in the same hand.
Funny thing about the "shield wall"; I devised an identical strategy called the "shield ball". The only thing you can't kill?
Zombies made by mummies after you're cursed.
As for the hammer, shield, and crutch thing, in my current fort, one soldier of mine is doing exactly that. With the power of a sword, a shield, and a silver crutch, anything he manages to reach will die. The other squad members get there first, though.

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2015, 11:19:48 am »

Less theory, more practical uses!

We need a single-post list of all the moves though.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2015, 03:00:39 pm »

Edit the additions into the OP?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2015, 10:18:51 pm »

Tested many of the moves in adventure mode; Kisat Dur is actually very effective. It's like Fist of the Dwarf Star up in here. ATATATATATATATATATATATATATA

Needs to be added to the wiki IMO. You are already dead. It was inevitable.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 37