Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37

Author Topic: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art  (Read 220304 times)

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2015, 02:47:13 pm »

Rashgur Nitem (Attack Vision)

(blah blah)

...oh derp. Are you serious? I didn't realize the combat affects of a body part's
and
tokens could be used like that. owo
It's not a sure fire method, but usually, if you try to Strike them while they're attacking you, and one of their hands/limbs/heads is an Easier strike, then that is the body part they're attacking with. That part is easy for you to grab or strike, because it's closer. In the example, the dwarf was clearly stretching out his right arm to punch me.

I will test out my theory against a shieldbasher. If it's correct, then the shieldbashing hand should be more difficult to grab/strike, because it's behind a shield.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 04:19:19 pm by Magnus »
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2015, 02:55:31 pm »

I have noticed that, and sometimes when I'm intimidating someone like an elf queen I'll put a chokehold on her with one hand and catch attacks/break limbs until she yields, all the while pegging nearby elves with her clothes/ears/teeth, but I tend to go with 8 observer minimum, just too handy.

Most of the time I just love the visual of grabbing someone by the neck (which screws up their dodging ability significantly) and bashing them in the side of the head with my hammer. Though backing out of a chokehold so I can finish a convo after hearing a queen gurgle that I am a legendary hero, casually say goodbye, then just kinda letting go of her throat as she falls out of the tree is pretty gangsta' as well.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2015, 03:37:50 pm »

One thing I like to do is grab people by the neck and squeeze their throat. It is much easier than grabbing the throat and is deadly to most creatures your size.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 10, 2015, 04:17:42 pm »

Max, how do you perform the Dragonfall? I've figured out how to grab their weapon and then jump, that's the Cave-In Strike, but as soon as I jump they start flying, and I can't grab them. Do I need to first grab the weapon, then their bodypart and then jump?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 10, 2015, 04:50:44 pm »

Cave-In is performed at lower speeds, gotta be going at least 3.0 speed to get a 4 tile jump box. It's easier I think to land them at first if you target the jump then the grab, and the actual attack will get replaced with slamming into them.

I don't even go for the weapon grab most of the time with my faster characters since I will usually be dual-wielding, I just grab their neck with my upper arm and target the jump then tap the direction and pow!

When I've got a hand free I'll grab the weapons or armor, aim the jump, tap the direction.

With a Cave-In you're getting breathing room+disarming them, with Dragonfall you're trying to kill them with the ground, it can work with just a two tile jump, but really the faster you're going the better because you flat out don't give them a chance to dodge or anything once you're in the 3.5+ speed range, if you're using some sort of mod that provides access to a speed boosting syndrome you can hit the 6.0+ range where not only does your target not get a chance to dodge, the other poor shmucks behind them don't either.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 10, 2015, 05:55:10 pm »

How do you target something after targeting a jump? For me it seems like the entire jump has to complete before I regain control.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2015, 01:07:06 am »

How do you target something after targeting a jump? For me it seems like the entire jump has to complete before I regain control.
Yeah, this is what I was wondering too. Jumping seems pretty much instantaneous to me, I can't figure out how to grab while flying.

Could you post an idiot-guide of the actual keystrokes? :p

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2015, 01:23:31 am »

OHHHH! You have to use a multi-attack but replace the second attack option with the jump, forgot to mention that rather important part huh.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2015, 01:51:42 am »

:O

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2015, 04:31:48 am »

Wait a second, I still can't get it to work! If I set up a multi attack then jump, it cancels the multi attack and all I do is jump. If I start the attack, I go into wrestling mode, and then I can't jump.

What is it you're doing exactly, step by step? I can't figure out how to do the grabbing-in-mid-air thing. When I jump, I have no control until I land on the ground, and it's not possible to designate a jump as part of a multi-attack.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:06:51 am by Magnus »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2015, 09:27:11 am »

Hmm. I've yet to try the multi-attack+jump thing yet, so unsure how that works too. Assuming that you're somehow capable of grabbing the grab attempt, does it even bother giving a message about failing the attempt, or does it skip straight to posting the results of jumping into them?

If failed attacks in mid-jump aren't displayed, that would explain some of the confusion. Or we're still just doing it wrong. owo
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2015, 12:10:04 pm »

Before (well, this is before doing it again, as I loaded the save with them sliding across the ground >.>):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Grab:

Aim jump:

Confirming jump results in:

Lets me choose an attack so I can control the pacing with comma/period:

Before doing anything else:

KAPOW:

Oh hey, is that an elf on the tree above me? Here, have some pants:

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2015, 03:08:10 pm »

Aha! Thanks very much!

I've tried to do it like this, but when I confirm the jump, my dwarf just jumps immediately. I don't get an option to select another attack before I jump. The moment I press Enter to confirm the jump, it says  "You slam into the enemy!" and then they go flying.

Do you need a ridiculous speed in order to pull it off maybe? The most I can attain at the moment is 3.0, I guess there's a minimum speed you need for the pre-jump attack to be possible. I'll try removing my armor and see if I go faster then.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 11, 2015, 05:29:39 pm »

What happens when you just try to jump into someone before the grab? You should still get a confirm/cancel for the "attack this enemy" dialogue.

It will work ok at 3.0 it's just waaaay more effective as your speed goes up, and at lower speeds enemies are way more likely to jump out of your way.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 11, 2015, 11:08:44 pm »

Ah, so a big part of it is simply being at full sprint speed.

And I also see the other two elements that come together to make this possible. One is that initiating a grab doesn't make you immediately commit to the attack, as usually I have to hit the wait key before anything happens. The second part is the fact that grabbing at items rather than body parts doesn't hinder jumping.

While I'm at it, I realized something. Since initiating a grab doesn't usually commit you to the attack immediately, couldn't you start a grab then immediately start an attack too? owo

EDIT: Aha! Fuck yeah, I was right.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:58:16 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37