Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37

Author Topic: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art  (Read 220330 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art
« Reply #165 on: March 16, 2015, 04:25:33 pm »

Very cool.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2015, 01:21:14 am »

Aw, no mention of combining a grapple with a strike? owo
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2015, 08:59:29 am »

Puzzling over whether to include it under an Ikorottan discipline about using grappling to prevent dodges or as a move all it's own.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2015, 10:50:44 am »

(Suggested addition to Ikorottan) Gamil Arâl - Trust your Might

A warrior is defined not only by skill, but also ability. Even the most skilled practitioner of Kisat Dur will find that the knowledge of when and where to strike does him no good if his body is weak and slow. And likewise, a novice fighter who lacks practical combat experience can yet make up for this with brute strength and speed.

In this case, a peasant has found himself surprised by a goblin while wandering the woods. He can hold his own in a bar brawl, but has never actively studied the art of combat, and so his skill is far below that of a professional fighter:

However, he has been practicing his favorite pastime in the nearby swamps for many years, and this has made him a truly mighty specimen:

Without thinking he launches a futile attack, one that is sure to only glance if it hits, and which the opponent can easily evade. Furthermore the attack is a slow, heavy kick, which sacrifices a lot of speed for only a modicum of power:

But his strength and agility are such that not only does the blow connect, it does so with terrifying force!

Even though the intended target is missed an attack may still connect with an adjacent body part, in this case the neck instead of the throat. And so without knowing it, the peasant has demonstrated an important truth: Any attack will connect if one is agile enough, and any blow may kill when there is enough strength behind it. Do not trust only your skill and intuition. Trust your might.

(Related to Zimeshabod) Zimeshrutod - Phantom Dash

It is not within the scope of Kisat Dur to determine whom the practitioner is to fight. Perhaps this goblin has killed the practitioner's entire family, or perhaps he is just hunting them for sport. In any case, here the goblin is fleeing and the practitioner is chasing them:

Attempting to strike or grab in this situation is not advisable. The target is almost certain to move out of range before the blow connects. Instead the practitioner continues the pursuit by moving northeast, sprinting alongside the target. A few seconds later the positions look like this:

Now the practitioner is in a much better spot. The opponent is heading southeast, and will remain within range of the practitioner long enough to strike. However, the practitioner may be tempted to intercept the opponent fully by sprinting east, towards the same spot the opponent is headed. This is a foolish maneuver, and will only end up rendering the practitioner prone, vulnerable to attack and losing his prey again:

Instead, what must be done is to execute the movement as a defensive maneuver, intended to support the offense:

Dodging to the east as if to evade an incoming blow will ensure the practitioner remains upright, and briefly allow him to occupy the same spot as his target:

He may then dispose of them completely as he wishes.

Tholtig Ar - Barricade of Flesh

The practitioner has entered a goblin fortress, and wishes to slay all of its occupants. This may prove to be a challenge, as there are many of them, and they are fleet of foot and desperate to escape. However, the practitioner is currently standing in the only spot where the exit can be reached, and as such he is in position to barricade it with his body:

The practitioner patiently stands his ground while the goblins mill about, until one of them is foolish enough to attempt to crawl under the barricade, rendering himself prone and vulnerable to attack:

Calmly the practitioner lands a heavy stomp on the goblin's throat, incapacitating them:

Meanwhile, two more goblins have attempted to escape and are both lying prone under the practitioner. He counters them by launching two regular punches in a multi-attack, again aiming for the throat:

This procedure is repeated until all the goblins either have their throats smashed, or lie unconscious with their spine broken. The ones who remain conscious may still escape, but internal bleeding ensures they will not get far.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:52:55 am by Magnus »
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2015, 10:54:05 am »

Puzzling over whether to include it under an Ikorottan discipline about using grappling to prevent dodges or as a move all it's own.

Since it meshes well with the Cavein Strike and other techniques that involve grapple-based combos, I'd guess the former.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2015, 09:13:16 pm »

I like this thread. Last night I had an adventurer kill four people in his village before dying to a mob. Posting to Watch.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2015, 01:55:35 pm »

PTW
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 21, 2015, 11:05:47 pm »

Damn!
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 22, 2015, 10:51:16 am »

So that "initiate weapon grab, then jump" thing I've been having Fun with does have a couple caveats. One is the attacker can still potentially interrupt themselves to dodge your attempted grab, but that still negates their attack. Two is that if you're a dinky little kobold (or otherwise way smaller than your opponent), you'll go flying away without their weapon.

Grabbing and jumping INTO them works just fine it seems, despite the size difference.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2015, 05:03:42 pm »

What's the best way to counter grabs from a physically superior opponent? Perhaps the attack can be exploited instead of wasted by dodging it, which isn't 100% reliable. Anything else I've attempted has screwed me to some degree.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 22, 2015, 05:45:49 pm »

What's the best way to counter grabs from a physically superior opponent? Perhaps the attack can be exploited instead of wasted by dodging it, which isn't 100% reliable. Anything else I've attempted has screwed me to some degree.

I feel like striking the limb that is a grabbing should work wonders, but this needs testing to verify

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 23, 2015, 01:59:25 am »

Striking should work, but the catch is you need enough observer skill to tell what you need to intercept.

I should test what happens if you try to intercept a grab with a grab. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 23, 2015, 09:36:48 am »

"You awkwardly embrace each other."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 23, 2015, 10:12:06 am »

"You awkwardly embrace each other."

...my siiides. XD
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 23, 2015, 10:46:17 am »

'Nice day huh.'
"It sure is."
'Kinda romantic.'
"You can let go of my hand now."
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37