Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 37

Author Topic: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art  (Read 223266 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art
« Reply #255 on: January 22, 2016, 01:42:49 pm »

Eh, try gelding a bronze colossus with an elf and then I'll be impressed.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 22, 2016, 06:35:16 pm »

I've gelded members of every race with the ground, gelded an elf with a dead elf, punched the junk off a goblin, and more.

Haven't gelded the earth yet.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 23, 2016, 03:47:53 pm »

Gelding a genius loci will be the pinnacle of dwarven neutering.
thincake

Feniks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 23, 2016, 07:45:08 pm »

New discovery today. Aknunakith technique is no longer for show any more. We can raname it to undead smasher. With new changes fo how zombies work it works miracles. I stormed the tower today and since zombies don't dodge and are rather slow this technique worked perfectly allowing for quick atacks smashing zombies into each other and creating a breach needed to kill necromancer. I have destroyed all necromancers in the tower thanks to this sadly my dwarven warrior got locked up on top floor and with remaining zombies climbing stairs she couldn't get down. Eventually tiredness took over and her life ended. I take comfort in the fact that with necromancers all dead she will remain in dead. I would pity anyone who stands in her path should she get rised.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #259 on: January 24, 2016, 12:16:41 am »

I use wrestling all the time in this version, most of my more successful adventurers were wrestlers , works even better in the newer versions because you can interrupt attacks and such by grabbing weapons... once people are disarmed they are mincemeat.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 24, 2016, 11:51:42 am »

You can beat someone with twice your skill as long as you're bigger than them by wrestling away their weapon. It's saved me numerous times.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 24, 2016, 12:05:13 pm »

I use wrestling all the time in this version, most of my more successful adventurers were wrestlers , works even better in the newer versions because you can interrupt attacks and such by grabbing weapons... once people are disarmed they are mincemeat.

This, in a nutshell, is why flesh is stronger than steel.

Sure, it may be more efficient to mop up poorly-armed rabble with a sword. Just go right for the head of an inferior opponent, and watch it go sailing of into the sunset (in an arc, of course). To draw it out further is nothing more than toying with your prey.

Eventually, you'll meet an opponent that can give as good as they take. A weapon master, an angelic foe, or worse...a lasher. Even a well-trained swordman may have difficulty getting that killing strike

But if you have a similar degree of competence in Observer and Wrestler skills, things change. Catching your foes blade is generally easier than dealing a single lethal strike to them, and infinitely easier than it would be in reality. This is what Korumid Abod is for, a well-timed initiation of grab and jump, to claim the foe's weapons.

At this point, the master warrior is left without the weapon they have dedicated so much training to. Even if they retain a shield and are also practiced in its use, the fight has turned in your favor.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 24, 2016, 12:42:11 pm »

Grab and dodge also works nicely, if you don't want to knock the other party out. I've noticed that using a jumping or charging attack after the grab turns all your attacks into random melee charges, even wrestling attacks, until you do another melee attack. This is very inconvenient when you have a large number to disarm. It's easy to forget to do this, but sneaking in a quick jab along with the next grab attack will make it grab correctly.

When you're handling large groups, grab/dodge minimizes the time you need to spend on a single opponent. I would't jump unless I think I can get a domino effect, or if I'm trying to break out of a swarm.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 25, 2016, 01:49:20 am »

Ah, interesting. Though if you don't want to knock the target out, grab-and-jump still works fine. You're just jumping away instead of at them.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 25, 2016, 08:06:56 am »

Yeah, but jump still takes longer than a dodge and leaves you open to attacks from anyone around you. Unless you have a tactical need to jump to a particular tile, it's better to evade all attacks and exercise your dodge skill.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 25, 2016, 08:36:36 am »

Well, a full-speed dragonfall type jump is still one of the most powerful unmodded attacks in the game.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 25, 2016, 09:00:30 am »

Yeah, nothing beats it for awesome, it's just not as good for managing crowds of armed opponents. I just used it lately on a row of night trolls to clear them off an unconscious companion. They must have been nerfed, because I recall them being impervious to charges and knockdowns from humans.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 25, 2016, 12:12:36 pm »

Yeah, but jump still takes longer than a dodge and leaves you open to attacks from anyone around you. Unless you have a tactical need to jump to a particular tile, it's better to evade all attacks and exercise your dodge skill.

Oh derp. I didn't know that. Funny thing is that usually jumping away seems to make most, if not all, attacks aimed at me miss anyway, with exceptions generally being when I have to pass BY an enemy that was initiating an attack, which logically increases how long I'm adjacent to them.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 25, 2016, 01:08:36 pm »

Yeah, nothing beats it for awesome, it's just not as good for managing crowds of armed opponents. I just used it lately on a row of night trolls to clear them off an unconscious companion. They must have been nerfed, because I recall them being impervious to charges and knockdowns from humans.

I've never had an attack hit mid-jump, unless you land right in the middle of a pile of foes it's pretty good at taking on groups.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 25, 2016, 01:37:52 pm »

Well, a full-speed dragonfall type jump is still one of the most powerful unmodded attacks in the game.
Dodging is nothing to sneeze at as Zimeshabod can attest. It can also be modified if you're not a purist.

Standard Zimeshabod scenario, enemy faces south practitioner faces north.

Practitioner begins catching weapon and dodges northwest before they're finished.

The enemy is facing south, the practitioner is facing east.

Unstoppable attack.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 37