Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37

Author Topic: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art  (Read 220333 times)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art
« Reply #495 on: April 20, 2019, 06:08:02 pm »

Sadly the game doesn't simulate force to the extent you can throw weapons through people and into others. It wouldn't be something the smaller races could do, but you get something like a rhino or elephant person with a big enough spear to handle the force, you could see two or three people in a row go down.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 01, 2019, 07:42:20 pm »

Technique 5 Gakit Kun "Thief Cat"

Sometimes a foe is too large to simply disarm. In this case the Gakit Kun technique allows you to gain control of their weapon without the need to physically overpower them.

If the enemy fails to immediately sieze the weapon from you the Gakit Kun technique allows you to loosen their grip.
The images don’t show up on the screen, could you describe the Thief cat technique in text please?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 01, 2019, 08:26:52 pm »

Sure. The practitioner is facing a human, who wields an iron short sword. The practitioner grabs hold of the sword, then claws at the human's hands with targeted scratch attacks, causing permanent nerve damage and forcing the unfortunate human to drop his weapon.

DF combat is brutal. When players start fooling around with the mechanics, DF combat becomes infinitely more brutal.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 02, 2019, 04:01:11 pm »

Sure. The practitioner is facing a human, who wields an iron short sword. The practitioner grabs hold of the sword, then claws at the human's hands with targeted scratch attacks, causing permanent nerve damage and forcing the unfortunate human to drop his weapon.

DF combat is brutal. When players start fooling around with the mechanics, DF combat becomes infinitely more brutal.
Thank you

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 15, 2019, 04:25:56 am »

There are not many aspects of weapon combat that cannot be covered by simple application of Kisat Dur principles... but weapon lodging is a special case. I present here a two-fold technique relating to the unique physics of lodged weaponry.

Ar Ïggal: "Flesh Trap"

When a weapon binds in the flesh of its victim, the two combatants are locked in a grappling position until the weapon may be freed. This fact may be exploited in interesting ways.

Here the practitioner-- a lowly peasant of Competent skill-- has been struck by her skulduggerous foe.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fortunately, no real damage has been done by the silver lash
and so, an opportunity is created!

By keeping the weapon tightly locked in the grip of her own flesh, the practitioner prevents her enemy from avoiding her blade. She strikes at the enemy's hand, thus forcing it to release its weapon, which remains caught in the flesh of the practitioner.
Thus disarmed, the enemy may now be easily dispatched. The practitioner employs Ar Ïggal once again...
...this time, taking advantage of her own lodged weapon to leap into the enemy in a manner familiar to practitioners of the Toradadom, or "Body Crush" techniques!*

As the Toradadom is here performed from a complete standstill, it is far less effective; the enemy's cloak deflects all injury in this example. Nevertheless, the enemy is thoroughly stunned, and may now be finished off
at leisure.

A potential defeat has become a resounding victory, through careful use of the enemy's own weapon. Such is the nature of Ar Ïggal.

* Note the shield-block before the jump, to ward off an incoming strike. The enemy had there some slim chance of landing a lucky hit before the practitioner made her leap; by first blocking the strike, the practitioner cuts off that chance neatly. When your skill in arms is meagre, every precaution must be taken when handling any foe!

klonk
Sigtext

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 16, 2019, 02:45:12 pm »

I like it. Using the opponent's weapon against them is a lot of Kisat Dur moves, but this one's new.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 22, 2019, 09:39:09 pm »

Yeah, this is great.  I've been in this situation a couple of times before, but it never occurred to me that when the opponent has lodged their weapon in you they can't: switch hands (so that they are holding their shield in that hand), parry, or dodge.  So if you aim at that appendage, their only hope is that their armour holds up.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 18, 2020, 08:55:12 pm »

This is all still fully practical in 47.xx, right?
Also, since I’m going to necro, has anyone drawn up a list of the techniques and the situations in which to use them?
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 18, 2020, 11:27:25 pm »

This is all still fully practical in 47.xx, right?

Absolutely. DF combat mechanics have remained unchanged since 40d; everything listed in this thread should work as well as it did when first posted. Kisat Dur remains a priceless boon in Adventure Mode-- especially for relatively unskilled adventurers!

Also, since I’m going to necro, has anyone drawn up a list of the techniques and the situations in which to use them?

Not to my knowledge-- t'would be a worthy project indeed! The OP's been rather outdated for quite some time now.
...as a matter of fact, I might have to try and arrange something meself sometime. No promises.

klonk
Sigtext

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 19, 2020, 08:55:57 am »

I would love to see this one day in pdf form (or better yet bound in leather :D)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 19, 2020, 01:33:08 pm »

I would love to see this one day in pdf form (or better yet bound in leather :D)

So it is written, and so it shall be done
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14832

This is just the original OP for now, with a bit of my own commentary thrown in; I'll have to go through and add new techniques from the rest of the thread at some point. Still, it's been PDF-ified! :)

klonk
Sigtext

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 19, 2020, 03:43:04 pm »

I would love you almost as much as an elf loves their trees if you'd consider "translating" the flowery "in-character" language to plain english :D

Particularly the dwarven-themed technique names. Ick.

Here's an example:
In Kisat Dur attack and defense are different perspectives on the same acts. The defensive mind looks inward and the offensive mind looks outward, when they are combined the practitioner is far more deadly. If the practitioner quickly places himself in a mental state for striking they may feel the instinct that one particular limb is easier to strike than another.

What does that actually mean?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 03:58:13 pm by draeath »
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 19, 2020, 04:30:28 pm »

What does that actually mean?

That, to use Kisat Dur, you'll always need to use the advanced fighting menu. Not just bobbing into enemies by walking into them but by aimed attacks instead. Always. Otherwise all these fighting types won't occur. Nothing else is meant by this.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 19, 2020, 04:36:22 pm »

OK, that makes sense - but I don't see how you extracted that meaning from those words :D
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 19, 2020, 04:51:50 pm »

I always use advanced fighting
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37