Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rith Heavenlances - The Opulent Hermit  (Read 1778 times)

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rith Heavenlances - The Opulent Hermit
« on: September 29, 2015, 11:19:17 pm »

(You find this slab buried in the mountainhome archives)

While the King has forbidden me to mention Rith Heavenlances or her home in his presence ever again, but I cannot allow what has transpired to be buried and forgotten.  Hopefully someone finds this archive in the future and will see what all of dwarfkind should have born witness to.

Sixty-six years ago, the King banished commissioned a new outpost from six completely unskilled haulers and a trader who hates commerce and had a poor relationship with the truth.

Spoiler: The destination (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The "supplies" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rith Heavenlances (click to show/hide)

With only enough food and drink to make the trip to the rocky desert, the expedition was just another way of saying "death sentence".   Indeed, when I made the required trip in autumn to "check on the progress of the fortress", the only thing I saw at first were corpses of dwarves who appeared to have succumb to dehydration.  I was preparing to leave when I heard a rumbling to the south as a crude wooden wall shifted and a dwarf beckoned me inside.

That was when I met Rith for the first time.  It was easy to tell why she had been sent to such a place, as she wasn't much like other dwarves.  She fully believed in herself and her ability to thrive all alone.  Indeed, one of the first things she told me was to inform the mountainhome that migrants were unwelcome at Dikegenius and would be left outside in the sun to die if they ever chose to make the trip.  Her next sentence reinforced her oddball nature, as she declared that she needed nothing from the mountainhomes ever again.  She vowed never to trade anything with the mountainhomes, saying she could create everything she needed from what was available here in her new home.  Looking around at the squalor she was living in (a couple scrawny plump helmets scrounged from the caverns, a dank pile of straw on the floor to sleep on, the ghost of her dead friend lounging nearby, no booze), this statement was rather hard to believe.  To appease myself and the merchants, she requested some bizarre leather on the trade agreement which we both knew she had no intention of trading for, then sent me on my way.

Upon my return home, the King was unhappy at first when I told him that one of the dwarves had survived.  However, he began laughing heartily when I told him of her situation.  Having already cast off the undesirables, he had no real use for Dikegenius any longer.  No migrants would ever be sent to reinforce the outpost in the middle of the desert, and as far as he was concerned, that would be the last he would really ever hear of the matter.  I would be sent each autumn as the official outpost liaison, but no one really expected anything to ever matter in such a place.  We were wrong.

The following year, we met in the same grungy area, yet a few changes had been made.  She now owned a rickety bed, a dining table and chair, as well as coffins for her 6 fellow outcasts.  A small farming area was set up growing plump helmets, and a couple pots of wine had been brewed.  While far from luxurious, the fundamentals of civilization had been placed.  True to her word, no depot had been built and the merchants were turned away without even a curious glance at their wares.  She once again requested some random leather on the trade agreement and shooed me away so she could return to her work.

In the roughly 25 years after that, Rith was constantly busy constructing something from marble on the surface.  It took quite a while to take shape, but eventually I deduced that she was building a very large home.  Tall enough that any human could stand without being able to reach the ceilings, I couldnt figure out why she would need such a large area.  A dozen dwarves could have worked and lived within comfortably.  Complete with magma forges and furnaces, she had made good on the statement she made to me so long ago.  Or so I had thought.

Rith had become quite the skilled mason during her decades of marble block making.  Every door and hatch cover in her home was a work of art, equaling the best you would find in the empire.  I believed that she was almost done outfitting her home when I saw those, but apparently she had other ideas.  Instead of making more stone furniture, she turned to carpentry for a while.  Scores of beds were produced from what few scrawny trees she had access to over the years, and eventually she had crafted one to her satisfaction.  Believing that her life's work to be almost finished, I informed the King after my trip back to the mountainhome.  The King wasn't happy with Rith's anti-social tendencies, but still begrudgingly respected her perseverance and regretted the loss of a skilled mason to his workforce.  I was to return the following autumn to observe the final state of her home.  I did not expect what would happen then.

I anticipated to find her home fully furnished upon my next trip.  Instead, it appeared to be completely unchanged from my previous visit.  I found her hard at work at her magma smelter creating brass bars when I approached her for our annual meeting.  I have to admit that my curiosity overcame my professionalism, for instead of starting the meeting like we always did, I told her of my assumptions and asked her to tell me about her plans for her home moving forward.  "I am a dwarf like all the others," she said, "and I value metalworks above all other crafts, the same as you".  I stared incredulously at her, for I knew she had no training at all around the forge.  Combined with the fact that any metals she wanted to use would have to be mined and hauled all alone, it appeared to be a foolish endeavor to say the least.  I eventually shrugged and began the fruitless trade negotiations like we always did.  Rith had been true to her word thus far and never traded a single thing with us, and I didn't expect her to change her mind any time soon.

The next thirty years saw Rith doing nothing but mining, smelting, or forging statues for her home.  The statues...  By Armok's beard, the statues...  I couldn't begin to do them justice with words alone.  I've seen her dump a wonderful statue made of pure platinum into the smelter, the likes of which even the King would have been proud to possess.  My gasp echoed throughout her lofty marble hallways, while she merely shrugged and said "It isn't perfect; I'll just have to try again."

Each winter I would report back to the King, and each winter he became more and more outraged by my declarations.  The merchants had never seen a completed depot in all their trips to Dikegenious.  Rumors that both the humans and even the elves possessed a fine platinum statue of a dwarf that sounds very similar to Rith have been floating around, but have yet to be confirmed.  Between his worry that other dwarves might be inspired to break away from the mountainhome and her complete disregard for his authority, the King was left no choice in his eyes.  By royal proclamation, I was forbidden to speak further of Dikegenius or Rith Heavenlances to anyone.  I will never forget what I have seen, and have done my best to record what I could for posterity.  My last visit in autumn of 191 will forever be etched into my mind as solidly as if it had been in stone itself.

I wandered the halls over her home in wonder, admiring works of art at every turn.  Each magnificent statue was as awe-inspiring as the last.  Rith clearly would not tolerate anything but perfection in her home, and obviously had persevered in her efforts.  As she reclined in her masterful platinum throne, sipping from a glass cup of fine dwarven wine from plump helmets she grew and brewed herself, I couldn't help but think to myself.  Is this what all of dwarvenkind is capable of?  If we finally win our eternal war with the goblins and are free to work in peace, could all dwarves reach such mastery?  Or is it just Rith who was special?  I will never know for sure, but I'd like to think that we all have some form of greatness within.  Rith was able to fully show hers to the world, and I am the only dwarf that will ever see it in her lifetime.  Even though I can never express out loud my admiration for her works, I am proud to have born witness to what she has created for herself.  I have attached diagrams and sketches made to the best of my abilities.  You who has found this record, know that I have not been able to capture their beauty.

By my hand,
Tobul Imusheral
Official liaison to Dikegenius

Spoiler: Rith's skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Interior diagram (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 3d image (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fortress overview (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rith Heavenlances (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Masterwork tally (click to show/hide)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: Rith Heavenlances - The Opulent Hermit
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 11:55:46 pm »

Nice work, yo! That's a really cosy little home Rith made for herself.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 08:06:50 pm »

Whoa...  Cool.  Could you give some images of the mines?  Have any caverns been pierced?  How about the outside, is that too dangerous?  Did you tame that giant desert scorpion?  How long (RL) did this take?

Edit: Where's the staircase?  Where's the stockpiles?  Where -

Jay Wood cancels Ask Question (R): Out of Breath
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 08:09:41 pm by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 08:24:42 pm »

A quick history of the fort.  We started out with a pick, anvil, and 1 male cat in the middle of the desert.

After surveying the map, I decided the best place for Rith's house would be in the northwest, so I decided to start digging in the southeast in order to make sure there was no overlap.

Spoiler: embark location (click to show/hide)

I had Rith deconstruct the wagon, then grab the pick and start digging.  Once I had a small entry corridor open, I had the extra dwarves drag the 3 logs, anvil, and the animals inside so Rith could wall it off from the surface.  From there, she dug down until she ran into Cavern 1.

Spoiler: Cavern 1 Breach (click to show/hide)

The breach was at level 89, which is 23 levels below the surface entrance.  Not really easy to tell from the screenshot, but Cavern 1 was completely barren.  No moss, trees, plants, or water.  Just a muddy hole in the earth.  I quickly had her wall off the breach and continue digging down.

Spoiler: Cavern 2 Breach (click to show/hide)

The second breach was all the way down at level 10, 96 levels below surface.  Rith was very close to dehydrating by the time she got down that low, and as you can see, I came very close to missing the cavern entirely.  There is a large lake to the west of the breach, so she drank her fill of muddy water on the bank.  Then she harvested plants until she had a couple plump helmets, then headed back near the surface to dig out an area for farming.  With the farm in place and the seed from the plump helmet she ate planted, it was back down to Cavern 2 to work on a well so I could wall it off completely.

Spoiler: Digging the Well (click to show/hide)

Double fortifications leading into a 2 deep area for clear water.  After the fortifications were in place, I breached the lake to the north by digging a ramp down from above, then sealed off Cavern 2.  No bucket and chain for the actual well, but having the safe water source was a must.  Around this time, the liaison came by with the caravan.   I removed the wooden wall blocking off the mine, then had the waste of time meeting.

Spoiler: After the meeting (click to show/hide)

Rith's happiness was starting to slide down, so I figured the best start would be to build six coffins to get rid of the ghost that was following her around.  After that, she built a bed, table, and chair to help slow down the unhappiness, then a still to brew a couple pots of wine.  Between having to go down 90 levels and back up each time she was thirsty, as well as the necessary stopping to do farming related jobs, this process took a whole year.

Spoiler: Next task (click to show/hide)

Next up was digging down to the magma sea, then constructing some magma safe mechanisms and floodgates to give me safe access to magma for forging.  Smelted some tetrahedrite and platinum, then made a crappy copper chest, cabinet, pump components, and a platinum minecart.  Platinum is magma-safe, so I could use it to haul magma to the surface.  A gabbro track stop beneath the forges was all it took.  Just drain it, place the minecart, then refill and drain once more.  Rinse and repeat.

Spoiler: Back to Cavern 1 (click to show/hide)

Next up was breaching Cavern 1 again in a more convenient spot.  I walled off the easiest section to secure and collected some webs for bags.  I also mined out the interior rock to expand the surface area for spiderwebs.  Clothing was starting to wear out by then, so I made her a new set while I was at it.

Spoiler: To the surface again (click to show/hide)

The only real unhappiness issue she had left was eating the same old food, so the first magma forge on the surface was for glass.  A few cage traps sprinkled around the map netted me kangaroos and ibex, so everything was just fine for her then.  Construction could begin on her house proper, which took forever to do.  From then on, its pretty much exactly how the original post described it.  Just time at that point.

Spoiler: Entire Surface (click to show/hide)

Here is the surface of the completed fort.  The red circle is where the mine entrance is, 2 z's below her home.  You can see the couple trees that are in the northwest corner that shouldnt be there according to the embark screen.  I didnt even notice them until year 20ish when the liaison arrived in that corner of the map.

Spoiler: The basement (click to show/hide)

Each workshop has a raw material storage underneath it.  The northwest one is for raw food and seeds, as well as empty pot storage.  The dining hall has the prepared meals and booze.  Each down staircase in the house has a masterwork marble hatch over it to keep everything looking good.

Spoiler: Platinum mine (click to show/hide)

Riths original bedroom is the larger room here.  The coffins of her expedition were here as well.  The statues you see are lead that are masterworks made while she was skilling up her metalcrafting.  Not good enough for the main house.

Spoiler: Marble mine (click to show/hide)

This is the level where I mined out all of the marble.  A bunch of left over non-masterwork doors and hatches that are waiting on being dumped.

Spoiler: The Well (click to show/hide)

Walled off from the caverns, the well is what kept her alive until she had enough plump helmets to spare for booze production.  I made 3 bars of Gila Monster Soap around 50 years into the fort.  I cant imagine going 50 years between baths in the desert.

Spoiler: Cavern 3 (click to show/hide)

Have you ever wanted to see what 60 years of FB rampages in the caverns looked like?  Now you know.

That's pretty much everything I can think of you might want to see in the fortress.  If there is interest, I can upload the fort for you to explore.  Feel free to ask me anything and I hope you enjoyed Rith's story!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 09:05:25 pm »

Did you ever get some close calls and brushes with death, or did things go rather smoothly?

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 12:11:07 am »

Wow. Just wow. Even FBs help to beautify the fort in their own macabre fashion.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 08:23:28 pm »

Did you ever get some close calls and brushes with death, or did things go rather smoothly?

Spoiler: Well this happened... (click to show/hide)

Cant believe I left this part out of the summary earlier.  Goblins came by 3 years in a row.  The consort was in all 3, so I assume she was the leader.  The other 2 were just goblins though, no undead.  All 3 times Rith locked herself into the mines and just crafted marble blocks until they left.

As far as other animal attacks, no, not really.  The thing is, Rith is fast.  In addition to being very strong and agile, speed is also determined by the total skill level of the dwarf.  Rith is very skilled compared to a normal dwarf.  She was attached once by some buzzards that were swooping in on the butcher shop, and Rith was halfway across the map before I could blink.  She is far and away the fastest dwarf I've ever seen.  If her personality wasnt so opposed to fighting, she'd be an amazing soldier.  It would be a huge waste of her skills though.

A caravan guard died once.  An axedwarf went into a martial trance against an entire pack of giant dingoes.  It went about as well as you might expect.

Wow. Just wow. Even FBs help to beautify the fort in their own macabre fashion.

Spoiler: Statues (click to show/hide)

In addition to painting the caverns, the FBs also contributed to the fort in several of the statues.  Rith made a ton of FB statues, but most of them weren't masterwork and ended up getting melted back down.

Any other comments or questions are appreciated.  I hope you enjoyed Rith's accomplishments!

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 12:57:42 am »

This kind of reminds me of the old Urist thread but with less murdering of the migrants and an entirely different tone to the story. The voice of an awed on-looker telling a forbidden story makes me think of HP Lovecraft but that's probably a fault of my limited literary knowledge (it's genre fiction or get out). Compared to most DF stories, this isn't horrifying at all. This must have taken quite a real life time commitment or does the low population speed up FPS? It takes me months to get fortresses past five years and most of that is sitting back reading Stephen King novels and waiting.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.