Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Voting has finished, poll's closed

Foo
Bar

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Ilrom Ziril: The Peak of Fire  (Read 32649 times)

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ilrom Ziril: The Peak of Fire!
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 03:41:35 pm »

are there any human or elven civilizations or the goblins got them too?
No elves on this continent. There are humans listed under Neighbors in the embark site, I don't know if they're evil or not. Time will tell.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Elagn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2015, 06:15:58 pm »

That's a pity that there aren't any elves. I like large, dangerous, exotic animals, and they can be a good source of them.

Great introduction of the "migrants", and based on the picture, the temple will look extremely cool, though I must wonder how you are planning to support the constructions built over the lava.
"Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" Einstein

"Measure what is measurable and make measurable what is not so" Galileo

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 10:17:06 pm »

Hi, great job so far guys, I love the story! I was wondering if there will be turns soon or if it's a community fort instead of a succession. It seems like a community fort but I am unsure if turns will be implemented later.  :) Anyway, amazing job so far!!
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2015, 03:43:12 am »

It will be a succession fort after Magnus dies, whether of old age or natural causes. I'll upload the save file then, if someone's interested.

The temple will be supported by flimsy stone floors next to the bridges adamantine pillars that go all the way down, of course.

Does anyone know if the new AI allows invaders to jump down a fall they think they can survive, or climb down unsmoothed walls as part of their pathfinding? The crater is only about 5 levels deep. If a siege finds their way down there I'm toast.

EDIT:
I've made some scientific discoveries.
1. Caving in large constructed buildings into the volcano makes them disappear when they hit the bottom, anticlimactically.
2. This type of disturbance awakens the fire imps.
3. Fire imps can and will path all the way to the surface and climb out of the crater.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:40:46 am by Magnus »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2015, 12:50:02 pm »

This is awesome!  Very well done indeed.

Sorry I've been AFK... been traveling a lot and, yeah.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Elagn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2015, 03:29:27 pm »

Im not positive, but I'm fairly certain they can climb down the unsmoothed walls of the volcano. Simple solution: smooth them, either by adding a dug ring around the mouth one layer out so the outermost layer can be smoothed, or using scafolding
"Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" Einstein

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2015, 07:10:34 pm »

A bronze colossus will jump up to 10 z-levels at a go - one jumped OVER my 5 z-level walls when I locked the gate, so having a ground-based path somehow or sealing yourselves in is the only sure-fire way to keep all invaders out.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2015, 07:22:37 pm »

Your take on 'Horse With No Name' made me chuckle :)

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2015, 01:55:29 am »

A bronze colossus will jump up to 10 z-levels at a go - one jumped OVER my 5 z-level walls when I locked the gate, so having a ground-based path somehow or sealing yourselves in is the only sure-fire way to keep all invaders out.
Oh now THAT gives me an idea... They're not immune to fireballs, are they?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 02:00:12 am by Magnus »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2015, 02:09:44 am »

Someone is planning to entrap fire imps and use them as a defensive mechanism, huh?

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2015, 06:44:12 am »

Someone is planning to entrap fire imps and use them as a defensive mechanism, huh?

I am rather hesitant to defile Armok's crater by paving it over, but if I did I could leave a hole in the middle, drop some rocks into it and watch them climb out a few months later. I'd line the edges with cage traps and then put them in a turret. Smoothing the crater walls is definitely a plan though.

I am also planning a properly industrialized mining operation to provide us with a supply of iron, using the trusted process of dump leaching.

The raw minerals are first brought into a long chamber which is sealed off at both ends at the appropriate time by the pull of a lever in the control room.

When the ore is contained a second lever is pulled, releasing magma from hatches in the ceiling of the containment chamber. The hatches are placed so that the magma will flow from the corners and toward the center, concentrating the ore there and purifying it. When the ore has been purified the lever is retracted, closing the hatches and restarting the screw pump that fills the magma reservoir above.

A third lever is pulled, opening drawbridges in the floor of the containment chamber. The magma will fall down, pushing the now purified ore into a funnel-shaped chute below. There it will drain through floor grates in the bottom of the chute, leaving the ore behind.

A fourth lever is pulled repeatedly, atomsmashing the magma in the chamber below the grates until it is gone. A small part of the magma is allowed to flow through holes in the floor, powering the magma smelters in the next room.

The fifth and final lever will open the grates and dump the ore onto the dry floor of the atomsmasher, which is designated as an armor, weapons and ammo stockpile. It also lowers the barrier between the stockpile and the smelters, so that the furnace operator can access the stockpile.

The levers are set to their initial position, and the system is ready for another batch of ore as soon as the stockpile has been emptied and the magma reservoir has been refilled.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2015, 07:57:33 am »

Haven't seen engineering this thorough applied to efficient slaughtering since the holocaust...

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2015, 08:10:34 am »

Haven't seen engineering this thorough applied to efficient slaughtering since the holocaust Chicken Run...
FTFY :D

Elagn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2015, 05:24:24 pm »

This sounds like an awesome method of metal proccessing on an industrial scale, only limited by the number of idiots you can lure into atacking you.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2015, 09:55:16 pm »

This sounds like an awesome method of metal proccessing on an industrial scale, only limited by the number of idiots you can lure into atacking you.
I just realized that a second containment chamber should be added below the first. Magma is not introduced until all of the ore has been sluiced into this chamber. This eliminates the need to reactivate the whole system several times per siege, which is costly because each activation requires that the magma reservoir be full and the end stockpile empty. It may in fact also eliminate the need for power-hungry screw pumps, relying on gravity and a floodgate instead. Hopefully we will have all of this ready before the first real siege.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12