Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven baby is injured when its parent drives into swimming pool  (Read 2913 times)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a minimalist minecart swimming pool where dwarf rides the cart into a 4-tiled lane with =< 6/7 water each tile.

It used to work well, and even trained a mason to master swimmer. However, as more and more dwarves have babies, problem emerges. Report about dwarven baby(not dwarven child) being hit by minecart constantly appears. Fortunately, most of them only get bruise.

What should I do to make the swimming pool run safely again?
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven baby is injured when its parent drives into swimming pool
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 11:53:05 pm »

Ignore the problem. You are training the future soldiers of your fort; bruises are nothing to them.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 12:19:03 am »

That's because they are lucky! Outcome of minecart accident is very unpredictable.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 12:30:15 am »

I think maybe that is because dwarven babies are considered individual dwarves occupying the same tile as their parents, the parants are not actually carry them so they can be hit by mine cart.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 02:19:25 am »

You're right.

After observation, it turns out that one would put his baby on ground when he get on the cart. Sometimes the baby is placed right on the rail.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 02:39:57 am »

"You must be this tall to ride"
.... No, wait, that wouldn't help, they're DWARFS. Hmm.

A creche might be the safest option. Or not letting your dwarves ride when they have recently spawned.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 05:31:21 am »

Oh, I see what the problem is, you need to make sure the parents put the babies down farther along the track so the cart hits hard enough for them to skip across the water several times, understandable mistake.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 05:38:57 am »

The swimming pool won't operate until the youngest baby become child.

Since the child-cap is 10, there's a baby wave approximately every 12 years, while no baby is born in the interval. People will be enjoying the swimming pool again in less than a year!

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 05:54:25 am »

Oh, I see what the problem is, you need to make sure the parents put the babies down farther along the track so the cart hits hard enough for them to skip across the water several times, understandable mistake.

It isn't a bad idea, actually. This is a way to launch dwarven baby to a given place, which is more or less useful.

If they're launched across a channelled-out empty space and stopped by a vertical wall, they are safe from "skidding along the floor"(the chief threat to flying dwarf), and as far as I know, "slamming into obstacle" deals no damage at all. If they are lucky enough to survive a feather wood minecart hit, they should be totally intact after the process.

I think someone must have already made such device, if it's feasible at all.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 06:57:03 am »

I love starting to work out through schematics in my head and realize I'm trying to design a method to skip kids into a wall using minecart impacts for propulsion, while having the kids survive the process.

I mean, if all you want is a dead baby in a hole, there are lots of ways to accomplish that... a living baby is a different matter entirely.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:58:41 am by Max™ »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 09:36:29 am »

Put all the parents into a burrow that does not include your minecart swimming pool ?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 09:39:00 am »

Babies are apparently considered to be riding the parents as mounts.  Which explains how they could get hurt.
  Babies are much smaller than adults, and with the relative buffing of gravity-related damage I can see a baby getting hurt.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

mardouille

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 09:43:08 am »

Can someone post the schematic of this minecart ?

It seems like a good project for someone like me who doesn't understand how to design minecarts.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 09:57:46 am »

Can someone post the schematic of this minecart ?

I learnt that from the wiki:
Edit: now I know why the "minimalist" pool in my fort is dangerous. One should follow the wiki version. :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:05:27 am by §k »

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 11:21:19 am »

This is actually an excellent thing. Just make the swimming cart route a U shape rather than an O shape, so it has a start stop and an end stop, put them at least 2 tiles apart, and make it so that the dwarves "guide" the cart from the end back to the start - or even ride it back through the pool! But the point is, If you have a featherwood minecart bashing babies every once in a while, without killing them, it conditions them early - this is an excellent addition to dwarven childcare! I am implementing this in my fort, like right now.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 
Pages: [1] 2