Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Duopoly: A Game of Dwarves and Humans (DF 0.40.24)  (Read 2297 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Duopoly: A Game of Dwarves and Humans (DF 0.40.24)
« on: January 29, 2015, 04:18:53 am »

A Dawn of the World Succession Game

* This is a two player game between ptb_ptb and bahihs
* Based on the discussion here
* Using All Races Playable mod
* Arranged marriages are allowed, up to a suggested 1 marriage per year per 20 dwarves (or 15 humans)
* Players may play dwarves (The White Helms, The Misty Basement) or humans (The Buff Nations, The Unions of Peace) as they please
* The game starts in The Age of Myths Year Ten
* Suggested game turn - up to one week (longer allowed if necessary)

Worldgen Heroworld65x65
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kolobthadar: The Infinite Planets
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:26:29 am by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Duopoly: A Game of Dwarves and Humans (DF 0.40.24)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 06:36:15 am »

The Age of Myth 10. Early Spring, 15th Granite

Journal of Dether Heelwheels(F), Expedition Leader.

Following the words of the glorious god of Justice, Cemir and the benevolent god of Balance, Lega Manba, I have brought my people here to the far North of our world. I was granted a vision of Fire to my West, and Water to my East. Surely this is the right place! It is here that I will forge out my destiny as a legendary warrior!

(Out of Character: The embark I've chosen extends from a volcano on the left to a brook on the right.)

Nisam Rulewaded(M), Weaponsmith, has often spoken of his dreams of raising a family, I will claim him as a husband to mark our new settlement here. I will make Nisam take my surname, as is my right as his superior.

The Age of Myth 10. Early Spring, 23rd Granite
The brook is, at present, our only source of water. We need to secure it, quickly, and also enough land for our farming needs. I order the nearby slope to be mined and the rocks from there to be prepared into blocks for building walls.

The Age of Myth 10. Early Spring, 28th Granite
The walls and farms are just starting to take shape.

The Age of Myth 10. Mid-Spring, 3rd Slate
Bendi Steamyways(F), Miner has been working on the new farm land. She came up to me in a right state "The farms! The farms t-they they ..." I got her to calm down and she told me that the soil in the area we are starting to secure is infertile. Completely unsuitable for growing crops. I merely suggest she try further to the east where trees are growing and she rushes off again. Her nerves are a bit of a liability, but at least she can be relied upon to get on with things.

The Age of Myth 10. Mid-Spring, 4th Slate
The latest farm plot seems promising. I order kenaf to be planted there, there's nothing worse than frayed and worn clothing.

The Age of Myth 10. Early Summer, 1st Hematite
Our busy little hamlet is starting to look more like a real town, but the protective walls are still not finished.

The Age of Myth 10. Early Summer, 10th Hematite
A caravan from home! I must order some trade goods to be made.

The Age of Myth 10. Mid-Summer, 9th Malachite
I was able to throw together enough trade items to pick up cloth, leather, some food and another anvil.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 08:09:48 am »

PTW (for obvious reasons)

Btw are you playing as the humans? (I assume so, what with the hamlet and all)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 08:28:04 am »

PTW (for obvious reasons)

Btw are you playing as the humans? (I assume so, what with the hamlet and all)
Yep. See last post in the old thread.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=147846.msg5994010#msg5994010

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 08:15:22 am »

The Age of Myth 10. Mid-Summer, 15th Malachite
4 new migrants arrive!

The Age of Myth 10. Late Summer, 10th Galena
The first level of the defensive wall is complete. It will at least give a slight pause to any attackers. I order work started on the second level, and a ceiling so we can have rooms to sleep in!

The Age of Myth 10. Late Summer, 19th Galena
We hold a renaming ceremony for the migrants.

Quice Workersearched is the mother of the family, her husband, Bushik Alocnecar, is not to be seen. I thought it indelicate to ask whether he would be arriving later or had been killed by some monster. Her daughters are Adil Mirthbeige and Mudung Bridlequests. I introduced them to the idea of family names, and the mother is all for it.

It's a simple ceremony, and afterwards Adil Workersearched and Mudung Workersearched seem happy enough with their new names.

The Age of Myth 10. Mid-Autumn, 25th Sandstone
More migrants arrive.

The Age of Myth 10. Mid-Winter, 20th Moonstone
Oh joyous day! Today my family gained a bouncing baby boy who I named Jamas Heelwheels.

The Age of Myth 11. Early Spring, 3rd Granite
My husband, Nisam, has been working hard in the forge over the last year. Just recently he produced his second masterwork pick. I intend to keep him hard at it (no pun intended) until everydwarf has a masterwork iron pick they can use in times of war.

The Age of Myth 11. Early Spring, 9th Granite
The elven caravan has arrived again. Time to see if they have anything worth buying.
The short answer is 'no'. But I do a little trade to encourage them to come back with more goods next year.

The Age of Myth 11. Early Spring, 23th Granite
How time flies! I realized today that it has been more than a year since we reached this land.  I order an impromptu celebration and break out the booze. The next morning Bendi Steamyways lives up to her name and is found in a compromising position with Ethro Caughttheater. They get a lot of jokes made at their expense, but in the end both admit that they both really want to raise a family and decide to get married right away!  As a Miner Bendi Steamyways outranks her new husband, a Furance Operator. So Ethro takes his wife's family name.

I congratulate them on their decision, but we cut down on the alcohol a bit for their marriage ceremony!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:31:36 am by ptb_ptb »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 09:41:12 am »

The Age of Myth 11. Early Spring, 28th Granite
Another migrant arrives. This takes us to 20 residents, she will probably be the last to join us.

(Out of Character: I've got the population cap set at 20. I may raise it later, or not.)

The Age of Myth 11. Late Spring, 23rd Felsite
Finally, everyone has their own place to sleep and to keep their clothes.

Oh no! Bendi Steamyways has been caught in a small cave in. I hope she isn't too badly injured. As the doctor 'pro tem' I rush to set up a triage area and hospital bed.

The Age of Myth 11. Early Summer, 1st Hematite
It seems that a broken finger is the worst injury she has. It should heal without any complications, and the hospital area can remain set up in case of future need. I must be a bit more careful in overseeing the miners' plans in the future, though.

The Age of Myth 11. Early Summer, 14st Hematite
A caravan from home! I don't think we actually need anything, but it's a good idea to keep in well with our homeland anyway. I buy some cloth, leather, and thread at far more than their face value.

The Age of Myth 11. Late Summer, 27th Galena
Our little hamlet is beginning to look more like a proper keep. The first floor is complete (the east side being left open to grow trees for charcoal, etc.). It is time to consider another floor above that, to keep out thieving birds at least. 

We have dug deep into the slope to the West, and have cut maybe a thousand blocks. OK, I really have no idea how many blocks of stone we've used. But it's a lot.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:31:12 am by ptb_ptb »

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 10:16:53 am »

PTW
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 04:23:29 am »

The Age of Myth 11. Early Winter, 7th Moonstone
I decide it is about time we had some more substantial defences for our fledgeling community. Cage traps for the forest to the East. That will allow some live training for the militia, when we get it set up.

The Age of Myth 11. Early Winter, 20th Moonstone
Today we celebrate the birthday of my son, Jamas Heelweels. One year old today! He is already very strong for his age and I'm sure he will be a great fighter one day.

The Age of Myth 12. Early Spring, 15th Granite
We have been living here for two years now. This time the celebrations are a bit more organized. Campfires, booze and folksongs. Luth Sparklebalded(M), Weaver and Ino Ferrygalley(F) have both privately spoken to me about settling down and raising a family. At the end of the founding day celebrations I ask if they would consider marrying each other, and they agree. It looks like there will be another celebration soon!  Luth takes his wife's family name and Miners are higher ranked than weavers. When asked about this development Luth simply said "I was near to a Bed. It's very interesting." Ino seems a bit more confused. "I encountered a fascinating conundrum recently."

The Age of Myth 12. Early Spring, 18th Granite
The elven caravan arrives. Time to make a few trap components. Maybe they will have something interesting for trade this time.
Nope.

We bought some fruit from them, giving them far more than needed, and dropped heavy hints about 'how nice' it would be if they 'happened' to bring some giant animals next time.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 08:02:40 am »

The Age of Myth 12. Mid-Spring, 5th Slate
Bendi Steamyways has given birth to a baby girl! Ethro Steamyways was at her side and both parents are blissfully adoring of their new child, named Cusal Steamyways

The Age of Myth 12. Late Spring, 6th Felsite
The first crisis of the Hamlet Wardmoon (yes, I got around to giving it a name yesterday).  Ino Ferrygalley has come down with a strange mood, and claimed a Clothier's Shop. Do we have the materials she needs? Why are humans coming down with artifact moods anyway?

It doesn't look promising. We have no Silk Cloth, and it looks like that is the very thing she is looking for. I order Dether Touchedvigor (no relation) to start digging down - cave spiders are her only hope now! Doing this exposes our hamlet to great risk, so I can only hope it pays off.

The Age of Myth 12. Late Spring, 11th Felsite
A cavern! And there are cobwebs!

The Age of Myth 12. Late Spring, 24th Felsite
Everything seems to be progressing agonizingly slowly. I have ordered a loom to be constructed in the caverns, but it is still not complete. What is taking everyone so long!

The Age of Myth 12. Late Spring, 26th Felsite
In the midst of all the panic, I manage to find time to have a healthy baby boy. Huthra Heelwheels is the newest member of our hamlet.

The Age of Myth 12. Early Summer, 1st Hematite
Well, they do say if you want a job done properly you should do it yourself. I'm going to build the damn Loom myself and collect the webs if I have to!

The Age of Myth 12. Early Summer, 4th Hematite
Success! Ino has started work. Now to make the caverns safe.

The Age of Myth 12. Early Summer, 9th Hematite
It's an artifact rope! I will make a new Traction Rack with it, so that injured men will at least have something nice to look at.

The Age of Myth 12. Late Summer, 11th Galena
Here we go again! Ustra Fealtyeagles(F), Mason, has got a strange look in her eye. She claims a mason's workshop and gets straight to work. We're lucky - she didn't have any fancy material requirements. It's an andesite throne!

That can go into the dining room - it should do wonders for morale.

The Age of Myth 12. Late Summer, 19th Galena
It turns out the artifact rope can't be used to make a traction bench. Because reasons. Instead I order it to be used in a well next to the tiny dining room.

The Age of Myth 12. Late Summer, 24th Galena
The caverns are safe!
Well, the little bit of the cavern we have walled off is safe.
Frankly I find it dark and creepy down there, but if it keeps our idiosyncratic weavers and clothiers from going insane then it's worth it.

The Age of Myth 12. Early Autumn, 22nd Limestone
The perimeter around the forestry and hunting area is now complete. It isn't 100% secure, but it should be a lot safer for our woodcutters than before.

The Age of Myth 12. Mid-Autumn, 8th Sandstone
I believe that we now have enough masterwork iron great axes and masterwork iron picks for everyone to carry one.
This will give our citizens at least some chance if they happen across a dangerous animal.

The Age of Myth 12. Late Autumn, 24th Timber
Asi Containedparched runs off the clothiers and starts working in secret. Luckily he seems to have everything he needs. Last mood of the year? I can hope.

The Age of Myth 12. Early Winter, 3rd Moonstone
He's finished!

Somebody is going to be wearing fancy trousers now. Oh, right. Fancy 'braies'(?).

The Age of Myth 13. Early Spring, 1st Granite
Spring arrives! Just as I finish a very simple (simplistic) Forgotten Beast Trap.

The two levers are on the top floor of the keep of our hamlet. Well labelled with a couple of (N)otes. The bridge should be raised, then the spike trap can be operated if a forgotten beast appears on top of it. There is something like a one in 50 chance of that happening. :P

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 01:41:10 pm »

The Age of Myth 13. Early Spring, 15st Granite
We have now spent three years living here.
As is now traditional, the founding day celebrations are followed by an engagement.
Ulco Insightfinds(M), Woodburner and Ustra Fealtyeagles(F), Mason both want to raise a family, and decide to accept marriage between them. Ustra keeps her family name, as the higher ranked worker. The actual ceremony will be held in a few days time (to give us the chance to recover from any hangovers).

The Age of Myth 13. Late Spring, 6th Felsite
The marriage of Ino Ferrygalley(F) and Luth Ferrygalley(M) has been blessed by offspring - a beautiful baby girl.
They name her Bedo Ferrygalley.

The Age of Myth 13. Late Spring, 26th Felsite
Huthra Heelwheels is one year old today! I hold a small party to celebrate with my husband Nisam Heelwheels.
The Age of Myth 13. Late Spring, 27th Felsite
Quice Workersearched has fallen into a strange mood. I hope she can get through this alright! Fortunately it seems she has all the materials she needs and starts to work right away - in a mechanics workshop.

The Age of Myth 13. Early Summer, 4th Hematite
It's a mechanism! (Well, what else could it be?)
I'll use it to replace the mechanism in the well that already has an artifact rope. Now all I need is an artifact bucket ...

The Age of Myth 13. Mid-Summer, 16th Hematite
A forgotten beast arrives. Safely behind walls in the cavern, although I intend to see it dead rather than leaving it lurking around forever.

The Age of Myth 13. Late Summer, 15th Galena
A second simple Forgotten Beast Trap has been set. Work is well underway on a slightly more complicated trap that should take care of our current 'visitor'.

The Age of Myth 13. Early Autumn, 8th Limestone
Setoc Relieveddrilled claims a clothier's shop, and promptly begins a mysterious construction!
It's a sock. :( ONE Sock.

The Age of Myth 13. Mid-Autumn, 19th Sandstone
The 'visitor removal' passage is complete. It just remains for one lucky dwarf to unblock the far end, and run.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 06:25:50 am »

In The Age of Myth 13 Mid-Autumn, 23rd Sandstone
Success! The trap worked perfectly, the forbidden beast Snun Tongmulomo is dead.

In The Age of Myth 13 Early Winter, 4th Moonstone
Bendi Steamyways has given birth to a beautiful baby girl. Her parents name her Zitha Steamyways.

In The Age of Myth 13 Early Winter, 17th Moonstone
Belza Shadowcarnage(M) claims the clothier's shop and begins a mysterious construction. Perhaps we can get the
matching sock to the last one?

Nope. It's a sheep wool cap.

In The Age of Myth 14 Early Spring, 15th Granite
Our little hamlet is four years old today! The founding day celebrations go well, but nobody else is considering marriage.

In The Age of Myth 14 Mid-Spring, 5th Slate
Ulco Fealtyeagles claimed a clothier's shop.

In The Age of Myth 14 Early Summer, 1st Hematite
... Oh dear. Ulco Fealtyeagles failed to create an artifact and went insane. I'm not sure exactly what happened, my attention was diverted to the work to secure an additional cavern area.

In The Age of Myth 14 Late Summer, 21st Galena
Zin Bottlecounselled(F), blacksmith has started a mysterious construction in the metalsmith's forge.

... Aaand it's an iron crutch.

In The Age of Myth 14 Early Winter, 5th Moonstone
Zitha Steamyways is one year old today! Her family hold a small party to celebrate.

A Forgotten Beast is lurking in the cavern, behind a wall. The trap needs to be improved before we can risk letting it out.

In The Age of Myth 14 Mid-Winter, 10th Opal
Nisam Heelwheels has been possessed! I do hope he will be alright.

And he starts working. It looks like things will be OK.

It's an Iron Crossbow!

In The Age of Myth 14 Late Winter, 26th Obsidian
It's a baby girl! Welcome to the Heelwheels' family, Jasro Heelwheels.

In The Age of Myth 15 Early Spring, 15th Granite
Five years have passed since the founding of this hamet.

TIME

IS

UP

* The Forgotten Beast Trap (SpikeTrap3) is not complete, the forgotten beast is still at large.
* I don't feel like doing any adventuring, so I will skip that part.
* Families! I'll be putting together a big chart of family trees.
* Statistics: One human died (insanity), Eight children were born. Overall +7
* Save files:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10524 <- before retiring my hamlet
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10525 <- after retiring my hamlet

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10526 <- Before retiring VANILLA GRAPHICS
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10527 <- after retiring VANILLA GRAPHICS

Family Tree Chart
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 07:18:14 am by ptb_ptb »

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 03:11:40 pm »

From the journal of Sarvesh Athelkutam, Treasurer:

2nd Slate, 15, Mid-spring

Vakist, why do you defecate upon my face? What have I done, what offence committed, that I am beleaguered with such unfortunate luck? Are you laughing Vakist? Is this sport? Well...fuck you too.

This god-forsaken journey into the wilderness finally comes to an end. Stonebrain Ustuth will regret his decision. He thinks to dispose of me. ME! The maker of his fortunes, the filler of his coffers, the feeder of his insatiable greed. He thinks to mock me with this..."expedition". Well, I will not be silenced, I, Sarvesh Athelkutam, swear upon my father's beard I will dethrone that fool of a king. I will make him eat the dust of my boots. This I swear to you Vakistl; please give me strength and patience

From the journal of Urvad Absamonul, Glassmaker:

15-2-2

Well we have arrived. There is ample material here for my work. Sarvesh is grumbling as usual; he was always a kind of fool. Yet, I do not regret coming, Ngalak finds a way in all things, for such are the Crystal Earth's machinations. Everything will turn out for the best, I know it in my heart. The sand is loose and fine, good for blowing and shaping, and extends as far as the eye can see. Kindle is scarce. But, I worry not. Nglak shall provide. I will prove my art here. It will be good for me.

From the journal of Zuglar Bekaraban, Miner:

Tuesday, I think

This is some sereus sirius bullshet. Rith tells me we are staing here for 5 yers. 5 yers! There aren't no rocks, heer. No rocks at all. No montains, not even a hill. Just sand and sand and sno, covering-guess what? More fucking sand! I meen what are we doeng heer? Rith sais we are heer on ponushment poneshment puneshmint. Puneshmint for wat? Rith is the goodest dwarf I kno. He is smart and strong and a good frend. And a good miner. So am I. So why are we beeng puneshed? Rith sais it is becawse of Athelkutam. That fucking short-beard stole munny from the king! And then he lied abowt it! Well, I gess I wood too, if I was him. Still, its not faer that Rith and me and Rovod get puneshed for him. We didn't do nothing! And there are no rocks out here!

From the journal of Rith Geshudulzest, Miner:

2nd of Slate, Year 15, Ides of Spring

Hell is home now. We are far removed from civilized society and I cannot stop shuddering. It is not from the cold, though the cold is no trifling matter either. Sarvesh that beard-forsaken imbecile stole from the royal coffers and then had the idiocy to flaunt his wealth in front of the king. Why Ngalak hasn't destroyed this fool with debt and misery escapes me. Yet, as I look around at the bleak, white and above all, terrifyingly flat, landscape I begin to understand that his devastation is already underway.

The bright side to this, is the pay is good. Or at least, it will be if we survive the 5 years (and so far, even three months seems to be calling it bold). The king, well-humored as usual, decided an ice-covered desert was the perfect place for a mining expedition. I almost died laughing, when I heard of it. I still am, except for the laughing part. Our "team" consists of three miners, Sarvesh himself, a glass-maker, a farmer and of course, a fishdwarf (another of King Ustuth's jests).

I don't really know if we're going to survive here, but then, perhaps death would actually be preferable. I am not hopeful. I could've run, Ngalak knows there were many, many chances to do so on the way. But, then, not everything is bad. The fishdwarf is not so bad to look at and she is a fine cook, besides. And of course, Sarvesh is an incompetent fool and will need my help. He calls now. I must go. I put my sanity upon these pages, so that upon death or inevitable madness, they will know I was whole once.

Spoiler: Starting Location (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dramatis Persona (click to show/hide)

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 05:59:06 pm »

From the journal of Sarvesh Athelkutam, Treasurer:

21st Felsite, 15, Late-Spring

Things are going well. Vakist you heed my prayers, and I am thankful. Let your most devout and skilled worshiper bask in glory.

Bedrooms for myself and the others have been completed. They are sparsely furnished, but at least the commoners have somewhere soft to put their heads on. Vakist knows what gutters they wallowed in before this. I've also completed the construction and furnishing of a small office. I've taken it upon myself to govern and keep track of everything that goes through this place. It is not an easy task by any means, and a lesser one than myself would falter, flounder and probably fail. But I, Sarvesh Athelkutam, have talent enough for such low tasks. I disdain this place, it is a waste of my considerable talent (which some say border on genius), but I will dig my feet upon the stone and stand. No fell wind shall blow over this dwarf.

Most of the commoners have been complaining about chairs and tables; miserable rats complain about every little thing. How hard is it to eat on the floor? I wouldn't know, of course, I eat at my desk. In any case, I've ordered some chairs and tables to be made. It seems this "Rith" knows his way around a chisel as well as a pick, so I've temporarily reassigned him as a mason. That fishdwarf's cooking is not bad either, so I've reassigned her as well.

I've already constructed the trade depot; there was quite a bit of grumbling over that, but these fools don't understand anything. Everything is an opportunity for business, if they were a bit smarter (and, lets face it, a little less common) they'd understand that. But dirt will be dirt. The only one with any sense around here is Urvad; only she understands my plight. She brought up the idea of creating a glass industry. Brilliant she-dwarf! With all this sand, I'll be able to make a fortune in glassware. Ah, if only she weren't a commoner...

Oh and two of the idiots are in love or something, they want to get married. I told them I don't have the authority for marriage rites, but of course they wouldn't hear it. I actually do have that authority, how did they know? Are these commoners smarter than I think they are? No, that's impossible, probably just blind stubbornness. I guess I could set up the ceremony, if it would shut them up.

Anyway, the food is good, the rest is short and the work, easy. Its almost a vacation!

15-3-21

Success! The glass furnaces have already been setup. Savesh is not as great a fool as I thought. He was quite enthusiastic about the whole thing, though I think he is only interested in the coin. Nevertheless, I am not one to worry over details. Ngalak be praised! As always, the Crystal Earth provides for his faithful. All that is left now is to find something to fuel the furnaces. Trees are sparse here, and I'll have to petition Sarvesh for the wood, but I have high hopes.

My life is quite comfortable here. My bed is made of soft wood and the meals are delicious. Sodel is a fine cook, a bit simple perhaps, and quite shy, but a nice enough person. She and I are now good friends (and she sometimes sneaks me an extra piece of roast, one of the benefits of friendship). Things are good. Things are great! Ngalak is generous.

Monday Sunday

Everithing is grate! Rovod finally agreed to marry me! We will be marryed soon. I just need purrmishun permishun from Savesh. I ask him everiday but he keeps saing something abowt "ow-thority" and how he does not have it but needs it. I do not understand. I asked Rith abowt it, and he said he will tawk with Savesh. Rith is the goodest frend, even Rovod agrees. Ah, I love Rovod! She is strong and her skin is nise. She likes to argu alot but I like her aniway. We dig together all the time and tawk abowt the our future. I think we can be happy together.

21st of Felsite, Year 15, Late-Spring

We are still alive which is...good, I guess. About the only good thing that's happened so far is Zuglar has finally taken Rovod in marriage. I swear that dwarf is a stone with a dwarf's body; dense as hell-stone, that dwarf. Rovod has been in love with him for at least 15 years, but I guess it took total isolation from the outside world and spending nearly all their time together for Zuglar to realize this. He's actually a pretty perceptive person when it comes to dwarfs, but has a pathological blindness to she-dwarfs. Nevertheless, I wish them well. Ngalak bless them with many dwarflings and even more gems.

The only problem with all this is that beard-less little oaf, Savesh. He refuses to arrange the proper ceremonies, and only Ngalak knows why. I promised Zuglar I'd talk to him, and indeed I plan to, but I don't know if it will do any good. The dwarf seems to do whatever the hell he pleases, whenever he pleases. Still, I must admit he got the fortress in shape rather quick. I have a room of my own and a bed, and the food is good (even if the only chair and table are enjoyed by Savesh). Dare I say it? Life is good. Or at least, not soul-suckingly horrifying.

There remains much to be done however. Savesh has this insane notion that traders will be arriving to exchange goods and that we need something to export. He had me build a trade depot. The plentiful sand has encouraged the glass-maker and him to start up a glass industry. I myself have been stripped of my pick and forced to do masonry. Not that I mind, of course, masonry, mining, its all the same to me. I only want to be able to say, before my death, that I was good at something; whether that thing is digging or fashioning tables from stone, matters little.

I don't know how this is all going to turn out, but I won't pretend to say it will all be for the best. And when someone finally dies, or succumbs to madness (probably me) I'll be there (unless, again, it was me, which it probably will be) to say: it was inevitable. Because it was, and it is and it will ever be.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:01:49 pm by bahihs »

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 11:38:47 am »

From the journal of Sarvesh Athelkutam, Expedition Leader:

25th Malachite, 15, Mid-summer

Migrants! Vakist smiles upon my works and blesses me! We have doubled in size with the newcomers arrival. I had a personal chat with each of them, it seems they were on their way to establish a fortress of their own but ran out of supplies. They noticed our trade depot standing out among the sands (and those commoners said it was a waste of sweat, fools) and were saved. I gave them food and drink and they in turn have decided to settle here and help out as they can. Two are metalsmiths, weapon and armor respectively. There is also surgeon, a woodcutter and my favorite, a potash maker. With the latter we should be able to expand the glass industry with the introduction of clear glass.

As for the smiths, the miner's report some sliver deep underground, but without access to fuel there is little we can do. I've therefore, ordered the miners to dig down to the belly of the earth. I've also instructed Urvad to begin building screw pump components, I will attempt to do what no dwarf has done before. We shall draw the blood of the mountain as a well draws water!

Alas, our food supplies have run low and I've ordered the slaughter of our pack animals. I've also sent word for a supply caravan from the king, Ustuth will not be so heartless as to deny me that...I hope.

15-05-25

Ngalak be praised! More dwarves have arrived. There are more mouths to feed but also more arms for labor. I think we will all get along well. My petition for wood was granted and I was able to make a few glass trinkets. Sarvesh demands I make pump components, though I cannot imagine why. I suppose he wants to draw water from the caverns. There are no pools on the surface and our drink supplies are running low. Nevertheless, Sodel tells me the harvest has gone well and we have plump helmets enough for all. I believe her.

I enjoy my work, not much skill is necessary to build pump parts but I try to make them as pretty as I can. I'm quite proud of some of them, but a true work remains beyond me. I must work harder, for the fortress and for Ngalak.

Thursday

More pepul have come. Rith is surprized. He sais he this is ither a good sine or a really bad one. I don't really understand him. Rovod and I are still not marryed  yet, but Rith tawked with Sarvesh and he said he will send in papers to home. Then when papers come back we will be marryed. I can't wait!

We are very busi now. Sarvesh tells us to dig deep into the earth. So we dig deep. When we stop he sais, "Dig deeper!". I think he wants to reach the mountain blood. I am excited. I have never dug so deep before. Rovod is excited too.

25th of Malachite, 15th, Ides of Summer

Of all the things that could've happened, of all the absurdities and randomness that perforates our little world, migrants coming to a desert is probably in the top 10. Yet here we are. 7 new dwarves, of various skills and professions, 7 new mouths to feed. Sarvesh knows our supplies are running low, I saw the farmer slaughter our pack animals for meat. I've brought this up with him at least a dozen times since then. But Sarvesh is interested only in himself. He hears nothing of my pleas. He continues to babble about a trading party and a supply caravan. Does not understand where we are? Does not realize the king has forsaken him? One of us is clearly insane. I just can't tell who it is.

In other news, I've managed to finish fashioning all the tables and chairs for the dining hall. We now have a place to sit and enjoy our (rather, exquisite, I must admit) meals. I am actually quite proud of a few of them, I have a hand for masonry, I think. With the new arrivals, Sarvesh has ordered me to build some more furnishings for the new comers (they aren't even getting rooms, so Sarvesh though it would be a good idea to at least give them a private place to put their things; the dwarf has good ideas once in a while); so I suppose I'll be sticking with it for a while. Sodel (the fair cook), has also been harvesting eggs from our turkey's, and the slaughter of the pack animals (while grim), promises more varied meals.

As for Zuglar and Rovod, they are still courting. Even Rovod's usual dourness has softened a bit (she even smiled once, which I thought so incredible, I almost vomited). Zuglar is a good influence on her, and I truly think they will be happy. As I promised I did talk to Sarvesh about it, after a 2 hour debate he was finally annoyed enough to write a letter to the Mountain-Home submitting Rovod and Zuglar's marriage for approval. I've already told the happy couple, their marriage is more or less valid now, but they wish to wait for a reply. Sticklers for law, I suppose, admirable in its own way.

Well, back to work I suppose. 

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 11:54:34 am »

...(she even smiled once, which I thought so incredible, I almost vomited)...
Rith is my new favourite. :)
Pages: [1] 2