Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a quick question about reclaiming forts  (Read 1514 times)

kreepergrimms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
a quick question about reclaiming forts
« on: January 29, 2015, 07:47:26 pm »

hey everyone i was just wondering, if i setup a fort with dwarves and mine it all out and do all the manual labor, could i theoretically abandon it and reclaim it with another playable race? i am thinking about doing an RP style with a story line lets play, and the idea of having one of the other races "stumble" upon an abandoned dwarven settlement would give a nice bit of story line. also the idea of warlocks coming into an abandoned fort with all the bodies laying around would be interesting as well

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a quick question about reclaiming forts
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 07:58:03 pm »

Entirely possible, although items will scatter around an awful lot. Setting the site as a lair will prevent this.

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 11:08:49 pm »

Entirely possible, although items will scatter around an awful lot. Setting the site as a lair will prevent this.

to note about the 'lair' - you type 'lair' into dfhack to set it (incase the OP doesn't know that :P). I think it also prevents food rotting, and various other oddities that make the game easier, so be aware.

Further, if you want a dwarf fort abandoned (dwarf race), then bring warlock race to play - I don't think that's feasible, as each site is tied to its race. I.e. you can't 'reclaim' a dwarf embark as a warlock embark, at least when i tried something similar.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 11:36:33 pm »

I.e. you can't 'reclaim' a dwarf embark as a warlock embark, at least when i tried something similar.
Provided you set your desired civilisation before reclaiming, it should be possible to reclaim a site regardless of race. Hell, RotMK uses this for various secret reactions as a feature.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 06:39:36 am »

RotMK ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 08:48:01 am »

Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom, IndigoPhoenix's other mod. Mario themed.

There are several cases where race specific workshops have reactions for other races for if you do this.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 10:15:13 am »

Ah, yes, he mentioned this as a suggested feature for masterwork. Reclaim other civs forts, use their workshops.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kreepergrimms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 09:19:35 pm »

as an update to this, my very carefully planned out fortress that i had built ended up in the way of all the other ones with HFS and an elite swordsman going berserk

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 02:25:07 pm »

You can't unretire a fortress with a different race, but you can reclaim an abandoned site with a new race.  So yes, this RP is entirely possible.