Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: The Veil of Memories [dead]  (Read 14774 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: The Veil of Memories
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 07:41:16 pm »

Posting to watch.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 08:15:39 pm »

I actually have no idea what Broodhollow is. I just came up with this idea last night and I HAD to get it down on paper. Anyway, your characters are in!

Oh, it's this webcomic. In terms of webcomics in general, it's a cut above the rest, if I may say so myself. Might be a good read if you're into that sort of thing.

I just read all of it there is so far. It is quite amazing.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 07:38:40 am »

Name: Jeremy
Race: Half-Giant
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 12:29:56 pm by Salsacookies »
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 11:16:22 am »

Giant? That's a bit out of the league, isn't it? I could deal with Half-Giants, maybe, but full giants would be way too tall and strong to balance out.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 11:25:22 am »

I was thinking of the smaller, more like tall human, giant. Like Goliath in David and Goliath.
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 07:58:24 pm »

I was thinking of the smaller, more like tall human, giant. Like Goliath in David and Goliath.
Just a note for balancing Goliath was affected with a defect that caused giant-ism but fucked over eyesight. In the original story he had to be helped to a battle field over rocky terrain and mistook a stick as two sticks.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 03:34:15 am by killerhellhound »
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 03:42:02 pm »

Waitlist me, please.

Name: Greaves.
Race: Gnome.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:41:50 am by SaberToothTiger »
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2015, 12:35:00 am »

Sorry for the wait, guys. I came down with the cold, then had an episode where I couldn't get online for a whole day 'cause I didn't realize I'd jarred my ethernet cable loose, then had some tests to do... I just haven't found the time or energy to focus on this lately. I will try to pull through and start this off as soon as possible, probably tomorrow, 'cause that whole day is free.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2015, 03:29:13 am »

Sorry for the wait, guys. I came down with the cold, then had an episode where I couldn't get online for a whole day 'cause I didn't realize I'd jarred my ethernet cable loose, then had some tests to do... I just haven't found the time or energy to focus on this lately. I will try to pull through and start this off as soon as possible, probably tomorrow, 'cause that whole day is free.
S' okay. Thanks.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 03:36:36 am »

Real life matters more then internet life

Take your time.
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Veil of Memories, turn 1
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 01:15:51 am »

Annnnnnnnd WE'RE OFF! Your starting locations were calculated based on rolls. Four of you wound up in pairs, luckily enough! I hope this is a good start. If anyone has any suggestions or questions, please, just ask me. I'm really excited to finally be starting my first forum game! ^^

Prologue

Goldy
You blink rapidly. This isn't right. This... what is right? You know you are in your home, a fairly well-to-do second-story apartment right in the thick of town -- you can hear the muffled but steady sound of people talking in the market almost right below your window. You look around as if for the first time, feeling as though you should know the placement of every table, chest, and bed in the place, but your memory seems... foggy. You don't even remember what you were doing before walking in here, although the half-eaten carrot in your hand is probably a clue. You reach your other hand up, gingerly rubbing your temples. What is going on here?
     Vil
You stop dead in your tracks as a stabbing pain in your skull almost makes you lose balance. The pain leaves as quickly as it came, leaving a very strange... sensation... in the back of your mind, like a catch was released and ten different things you'd forgotten about tumbled down on you at once. You realize you are standing right next to the river running along the edge of Harker's Ford, and though the long trail of clawed footprints in the loamy dirt behind you suggests that you've been walking for quite some time, you can't seem to remember ever coming here in the first place. Your furred ears flatten back in suspicion. You are about to turn around and re-trace your steps, but stop when you look ahead and notice someone a little ways up the river bank towards town, staring out at the water with a blank expression.
     Averus
You caught it this time. You know you did. You remember perfectly what was written on that torn scrap of paper you found in your hand not a minute earlier, which you'd used to test the memory lapse phenomenon you've been feeling. That was no product of your imagination; something is definitely wrong with this town. Still, you stand straight as a ramrod on the bank of the river, watching the water flow steadily by and under the bridge on its way to the south. At least some constants still exist, even if you can barely even recall the name of the town you've come to, or when. You do, however, notice a steadily-creeping fog moving across the water's surface at a rapid pace... you can't wrap your finger around it, but something tells you it is not natural.
     Davros
Your mind insists that you’ve been watching the forest from the edge of town for barely a few minutes, but the dull ache in your muscles argues that it’s likely been closer to several hours. The strange fog that’s been moving into town is making it pretty hard to make out any concrete details from here, but you know you’ve seen at least a few vaguely humanoid shapes walking both toward and away from the town in the time you’ve been sitting here. On its own, that likely wouldn’t be much cause for alarm, but you’ve also been getting an unsettling feeling somewhere deep in your bones whenever you pay attention to them for any length of time, and that it has nothing to do with any local tradition of the bigfoots inhabiting Harker’s Ford.
     Yvette
"People come, and people go," you remember a wise man once said. But with the odd fog moving into town and more and more strangers showing up, you're beginning to wonder if someone struck the last part of that statement from the firmament. You've made a habit of checking by the Ford's boarding house for travelers as of late, because there always seems to be some kind of new face, some interesting character to drop by and share their stories of the outside world. But now it feels like you've seen them all, and heard them all -- and now, you think, maybe you have.

Or have you?

You've been sitting idly by the side of the main road for the past hour or two, watching people and carts pass by, sometimes seeming to come back and go in the same direction twice. Only one of them really felt 'special' to you, however; a man, very clearly a dwarf, pacing back and forth at the intersection where the small main street of Harker's Ford meets the trade route, who, after your eyes merely glanced over him, gave you a slight tingling feeling at the base of your skull. You feel like you know him, even without knowing him.
     Gunther
What you wouldn't give for a pickaxe, a solid wall of bauxite, and near-total darkness right about now. You can't even remember if you brought anything with you when you showed up in this town; if any, it's probably still back at the inn. Which leaves you out here, with nothing but your bare arms and your glorious beard to go by. You may as well bend down and start engraving the cobblestones with your fingernails. BORRRR~orrrred. This rathole of a--

A sudden prick of pain at the back of your neck makes you jump. It felt like your train of thought just jumped the minecart rail and went careening right back down into the caverns. On instinct, you look around and notice... a blanket? A veil? The strange, bluish fog that you've noticed in town suddenly seems to jump out at your senses, feeling like a persistent overlay on top of the surrounding area. You literally can't not pay attention to it. When concentrating on the people walking around, you can even see a very faint discoloration around their skin, as though you were staring right through a thin veil of... something.

When your eyes fall upon a... strangely familiar... woman standing still by the side of the road, however, you stop. Because she is looking right back at you. Because that filmy partition doesn't seem to be present where she is concerned. A quick glance downward reveals that she's not the only one, either; your own skin is still the same lightly-tanned off-pink as it always has been.
----------
Time/Environment: It is a temperate, partly-cloudy afternoon. The strange fog seeping into town seems to be avoiding places where many people frequent, such as the market square.
----------
Character Status:
     Goldy
Standing inside his second-story apartment house in town. Holding a half-eaten carrot.
     Vil & Averus
Standing on the west bank of the river, near town. Vil is looking at Averus. Averus is watching the river.
     Davros
Sitting at the edge of town, watching the weird wilderness warily.
     Yvette & Gunther
Both standing in the main road outside town. Looking at each other.
----------
Locations:
Harker’s Ford: A quaint but rapidly-growing medieval hamlet that lies astride a small river and the new land trade route connecting... actually, you can't remember the name of the nation. What you do know is that close to 600 people currently live here, and that number has steadily been growing as its prime location makes it a popular stop for travelers. The river lies on its east side, the road on the south, whilst the west and north are mostly covered by forest. Goldy and Yvette live here.
     1) The Adventurer's Guild: A large boarding house/inn for travelers coming along the main road, located between it and the bulk of town. Averus, Vil, Gunther, and Davros live here.
     2) Market: A pair of major squares along the main street through town, lined with stalls and permanent shops alike. It is also one of the few places in town where the fog seems to be less prevalent.
The Wilderness: This is a region of old growth forest about a hundred meters off from the edge of town. You can’t even remember its name, if it ever had one to begin with. When viewed from the town’s edge, it looks as though the fog that’s been steadily creeping in around and through Harker’s Ford is particularly thick beneath the tree canopy.
The River: A fair-sized body of slowly running water which covers much of the town’s eastern edge. A large wooden bridge almost straight into town marks the quickest and most direct way over, but you could probably swim across without too much trouble. The river snakes north and disappears behind the wall of trees marking the Wilderness' edge.
The Road: All you can really remember of this particularly large cobblestone thoroughfare running along the south edge of Harker’s Ford is that it was designed as a trade route, though you have no idea where to or from. The road is fairly busy; you can typically see at least three traveling parties of some description heading along it every day, though lately, most of them seem to divert off the road and wind up in town.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 02:38:21 pm by Xvareon »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 01:34:09 am »

Vil approaches the man with a blank expression. "Oi. Person."

blazing glory

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 01:34:30 am »

"Something's very wrong with this place." Davros mumbled.

Davros heads off towards the moving shapes.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:44:22 am by blazing glory »

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2015, 03:14:04 am »

Remember my appearance, and study the man's features.
Ain't nobody got time for that.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2015, 04:28:36 am »

"Huh."

Look out the window and try to remember what I did last night.

Oh, and finish the carrot while I'm at it, provided it's not spoiled. Need that morning energy, y'know.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:38:37 pm by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11