Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: The Veil of Memories [dead]  (Read 14770 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
The Veil of Memories [dead]
« on: January 30, 2015, 03:22:39 am »

This game has been rebooted. You can find the reboot here.

You are a citizen/visitor in Harker's Ford, a quaint but rapidly-growing medieval hamlet that lies astride a small river and the new land trade route connecting... actually, you can't remember the name of the nation. You can't remember much of anything, really. And from what it looks like, you aren't the only one. A strange pall of amnesia seems to be affecting the town, causing many who live there to forget about the outside world, and those who visit to lose memory of why they stopped there in the first place, or where they were going afterwards. You've seen many faces come and go, but only a few stick in your mind these days, and sometimes you seem to be the only one -- a harrowing thought when you consider that some folk have been mysteriously disappearing entirely as of late, either misplacing themselves in the nearby wilderness and forgetting how to find the town again, or... something else.

Life at the Ford is relatively good so far, but you can... sense... that something is wrong. The disappearances are getting more frequent. Stranger and stranger folk have been entering town, and once you swear that you saw... something... unnatural beneath one of their hoods. A thick, almost palpable fog is beginning to cover the town and the land surrounding it, strangely seeming to avoid some buildings or locations where people frequent. Everyone else in the town seems blissfully unaware of what is going on, but you are one of the few who has managed to hold on to enough of their sanity to act. The time has come to pull back the veil.

Quote from: Game-specific Rules
  • Each turn, your character may attempt to 'remember' something about themselves or the world around them, thus unlocking potential useful abilities and knowledge -- or dredging up crippling phobias. The ability/penalty gained is proportional to what happens on a 1-6 roll. If two epic fails occur in a row, the character attempting to remember something instead loses one of their related abilities, or one at random if none are available. Use it wisely!
  • Most memories and abilities have an associated 'memory strength'. Making use of said abilities will prevent degradation, as will being in areas with low concentrations of the Veil. Each turn you spend in the Veil, you make a roll to avoid forgetting something potentially important. An overshot in this category could result in you absorbing residual memories -- however, you may not always be aware of this right off the bat, and they will become apparent in the right moment.
  • The more your character 'Awakens' -- i.e, the more they remember themselves and uncover the story -- the greater attention they will attract from... 'outside forces'. By the same token, those who are 'in the background' as far as abilities go, such as at the start of the game, will hardly be given a second look. The greater and more powerful your memories, the harder the game gets for you. Or the more !!fun!!.
  • The Veil around the town is particularly thick with mental energy and the echoes of memories both recent and distant. Being one of the few lucid enough to consciously interact with it, you can sometimes sense fluctuations in the pattern, such as when certain creatures are in the area, and usually detect whether something or someone is real or no. You must make a roll to disbelieve such an illusion if it relates to you, however, unless someone else is there to snap you out of it. You may also attempt to glean knowledge or information from the Veil in a given area to try and uncover something useful, although this can be a very risky move should you happen to dig too deep...
  • Also, the Veil promotes a slow but steady detachment from reality; the greater this detachment, the more powerful memories/phobias tend to be. Having a crippling phobia of snakes could eventually result in you summoning a giant snake right in front of you as a physical manifestation of your fear. Mastering this fear, however, may allow you to control said manifestation(s) and unleash them at will. By the same token, believing that a talisman or other object you hold has the ability to heal someone might just make it so. Having the idea that you might just be able to freeze water solid or create fire from nothing can result in appropriate effects. Being in areas of high Veil concentration tends to strengthen this phenomenon -- for good or ill.
Quote from: RTD Standard 1.0 ruleset
Simply post an action and I will roll for it, based on a scale of 1-6 in terms of success.
[1]: Critical failure. Your efforts only worsened your situation. Attempting to shoot at a target only to have the shot ricochet and strike an ally falls under this category.
[2]: Failure. You failed to achieve whatever action you attempted, though you may not have made things worse in the process.
[3]: Meager success. You may have progressed a little or saw something new, but usually nothing close to what you were hoping.
[4]: Success. You achieved your goal more or less in line with average expectations.
[5]: Epic success. You went above and beyond achieving your goal, and usually got very lucky, as well.
[6]: Overshot. You achieved your goal, but your efforts were so much that collateral damage or the creation of additional problems is likely. Think "You leap to attack the creature on the cliff ... sending you both flying off the edge!"

If at any time something threatens a player (i.e. being attacked), that player may make a roll to avoid the threat. Damage incurred or inflicted is also calculated by dice, though the rolls are reversed (lower rolls = higher damage). Certain abilities, items, and effects can influence the roll positively or negatively.
Quote from: RTD Advanced Rulings
For each action, any number of rolls may be made, as determined by the GM.
Primary causes for multiple rolls include, but are not limited to:
  • Actions explicitly composed of multiple actions
  • Actions that imply other actions that are not declared free
For every dodge roll, any number of additional rolls may be made, as determined by the circumstances, and any skills or special effects applied to the player.
Quote from: RTD Extended 1.3 Rules
Each successive dodge roll during a turn, unless it is a dodge against the same object or character, will get a cumulative -1 penalty.

If you are Stunned, Dazed, or otherwise receive a temporary penalty to overall or individual rolls, this penalty lasts until your next action is resolved, and not through the whole turn.
If you receive a long-term effect that has the potential to alter itself, you get an Effect Resistance roll immediately after your action is resolved to determine the spread and consequences of the effect.
If you are Unconscious, whatever penalty you receive will not reduce your roll score below 2, unless stated otherwise.
If you receive a mortal wound but are not killed outright, you need to pass a roll to dodge Death at the end of every turn. Only bad rolls here will provide penalties to survival rolls.

You can spend your turn to help another player achieve his goal. If your roll is higher, it is taken as the success roll for the action.
You can also spend your turn to botch another player's action. If your roll is higher, its opposite is taken as the success roll for the action.
In both cases, individual player rolls determine what happens to the players in the course of the action.

Playerlist:
Goldy, Male Elf Citizen (Harry Baldman)
Vil, Female Kitsune Visitor (Kevak)
Yvette, Female Human Citizen (wipeout1024)
Davros, Male Gnome Visitor (blazing glory)
Averus, Male Elf Visitor (Pencil_Art)
Mark, Male Human Visitor (killerhellhound)
Waitlist:
Nunzillor
Salsacookies
SaberToothTiger
Lalasa
Deathlist:
Gunther, Unknown Dwarf Visitor (LuckyKobold)

Just post your preferred character here! I will consider original races if you can think of them, though Humans, Elves, Dwarves and Gnomes are confirmed already. You won't have anything in the way of abilities at the start, so don't bother saying you're a great and powerful traveling mage -- you will need to remember yourself, first. More rules may be added and/or existing ones changed before gameplay starts. I am still feeling this one out; I just wanted to get the roster started before I headed off for the night. Also, although the player limit is 6 at first, it may increase if I decide I can actually handle that many people at once.

As for the death system, I will generally permit players to take control of another Awakened individual after they die; there are no ghosts, here. Players that wish to join the dark side might return as a vile manifestation of the darker aspects of their memories, but they will be required to coordinate with me via PM instead of posting their actions here. More details in this post.

Well, I guess that about covers it! Have fun, everyone!

P.S: The rules and style of this game are inspired greatly by Sean Mirrsen's 'Multiworld Madness' series of games, Book 1 in particular. You should definitely read that too if you get the chance; it's one of the best -- if not THE best -- forum games on all of Bay 12 Forums.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:45:39 pm by Xvareon »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: The Veil of Memories
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 03:33:49 am »

In.

Sooo would we just do name and race for now?

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:57:25 am »

Don't forget gender. Pretty important, there. But yeah, name and race is a good start for now. Also deciding whether your character is a citizen of the town or a visitor to it.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 11:15:42 am »

Ooh, fantasy Broodhollow! I like that!

Name: Goldy
Race: Elf
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:46:38 am by Harry Baldman »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 12:44:07 pm »

Name: Vil.
Race: Kitsune.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 01:00:44 pm »

Name: Gunther
Race: Dwarf
Gender: Hard To Tell with the beard obscuring it's entire body.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:43:23 pm by LuckyKobold »

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 03:14:00 pm »

Ooh, fantasy Broodhollow! I like that!

I actually have no idea what Broodhollow is. I just came up with this idea last night and I HAD to get it down on paper. Anyway, your characters are in!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 03:19:35 pm »

I actually have no idea what Broodhollow is. I just came up with this idea last night and I HAD to get it down on paper. Anyway, your characters are in!

Oh, it's this webcomic. In terms of webcomics in general, it's a cut above the rest, if I may say so myself. Might be a good read if you're into that sort of thing.

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 05:30:50 pm »

Name: Yvette
Race: Human
Ain't nobody got time for that.

blazing glory

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 05:35:17 pm »

Name: Davros
Race: Gnome

Name: Urist
Race: Dwarf
Gender: Hard To Tell with the beard obscuring it's entire body.

Does his name have to be Urist? I'll never be able to take it seriously.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 05:40:54 pm »

Name: Averus
Race: Elf

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 05:43:09 pm »

OK I'll change the name to Gunther.

blazing glory

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 05:46:03 pm »

OK I'll change the name to Gunther.

Thank you.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 05:47:45 pm »

Name: Mark
Race:Human
statue: Visitor
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Nunzillor

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 05:56:58 pm »

Name: Joe
Race: Mimic
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11