Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Help? Trying to transport a caged critter from one fort to the next  (Read 6106 times)

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb

Hi, I'm trying to transport a captured caged beastie from one fort, to another fort, via adventurer.

Unfortunately, fast travel causes The creature to disappear from the cage.

Is there a bug or is there something I can do to prevent this? Has anyone tried this before? I did try searching before asking and I haven't had any luck for this specific issue, although there are posts about a teleportation glitch.

Am I hoping for too much?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Help? Trying to transport a caged critter from one fort to the next
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 03:43:34 pm »

This sounds interesting. What creature is it?

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 09:35:37 pm »

Hi, I'm trying to transport a captured caged beastie from one fort, to another fort, via adventurer.

Is there a bug or is there something I can do to prevent this? Has anyone tried this before? I did try searching before asking and I haven't had any luck for this specific issue, although there are posts about a teleportation glitch.

Yes the bug is called persistance and patience, hang in their and dont fast travel, you will eventualy get there, but if its any thing less than a web casting or special poison FB or a Dragon I see no point in such a task.
Good luck and hopefuly somebody has a good idea.
If u are concerned with your movement speed, steal a minecart and chuck the cage in it or better yet drive it yourself.
Just dont blow yourself up... oh you may have already.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 10:49:57 pm »

Yes the bug is called persistance and patience, hang in their and dont fast travel, you will eventualy get there, but if its any thing less than a web casting or special poison FB or a Dragon I see no point in such a task.
Good luck and hopefuly somebody has a good idea.
If u are concerned with your movement speed, steal a minecart and chuck the cage in it or better yet drive it yourself.
Just dont blow yourself up... oh you may have already.

It's df, so fortunately we are immune to needing truly logical reasons for our endeavors. More importantly I've definitely not reached this juncture because of a lack of persistence and patience. There's two forts built, along with multiple adventurers used to achieve this much.

The fact is, traveling through multiple locations over night alone, is the last option. Especially since sleep also brings up the map screen, where upon I may again lose the cage's contents.

Maybe I can use the mine cart, let's see how that goes.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 11:48:00 pm »

The minecart is dangerous. I think its alive sometimes. Dont jump into one. Or try it once to see what happens.
'U' will open a push menu. And two types of push. One with you being pushed in the cart and one for just pushing it.
If you are riding it and it has momentum you can use any of the two to continue its speed. and its dangerously fast.
No boogie men could catch it.
Changes in elevation and dead stops (trees, structures) at speed are deadly so wear a helmet and jump out to avoid a crash. If you are moving toward something you dont want to hit, dont try to be a hero and turn away. Either take the blow and die or jump out.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 11:57:55 pm »

The minecart is dangerous. I think its alive sometimes. Dont jump into one. Or try it once to see what happens.
'U' will open a push menu. And two types of push. One with you being pushed in the cart and one for just pushing it.
If you are riding it and it has momentum you can use any of the two to continue its speed. and its dangerously fast.
No boogie men could catch it.
Changes in elevation and dead stops (trees, structures) at speed are deadly so wear a helmet and jump out to avoid a crash. If you are moving toward something you dont want to hit, dont try to be a hero and turn away. Either take the blow and die or jump out.

Will Try that. But I will be crossing MANY elevations.

Also after testing it out - Sleep does causes contents of the cage to disappear.

At this stage things look grim, I'm a bit more inclined in explaining what its about. This is obviously to start a breeding program for dragons. A male and a female have been captured, at two separate forts. They are roughly 13 quest map tiles apart as the crow flies, and 11+10 in straight lines.

This distance cannot be covered, without sleeping, and jumping is impossible, since the weight of the object alone drops my speed down to 0.099. If it could get any slower it would.

Right now the options I am considering are

1) Massive strength training program?
2) New demigod character for the express purpose of goods transport - A mule,
3) building a series of fortress, and connecting them with tracks, so that I have a train track from one keep to the other.
4) Yet Unknown Forum wisdom

I'll try the minecart next.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 12:06:47 am »

Some success! Dragon breeding is not dead! Some testing remains, but putting the dragon in the mine cart may allow it to persist!

Fast travel sadly still allows creatures to escape. At least they don't disappear with sleep while still at the site. They do disappear when you sleep at other locations. Aggravating.

Lots of mine cart pushing is looking like the best option currently. Unless maybe vampirism or becoming a husk would be more effective.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:17:59 am by parlor_tricks »

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 02:46:08 am »

Another bit of advice would be make a few forts (or as many as you will) to act as checkpoints to sleep in. Maybe a long fort embark and flatten a lot of land and use it as a minecart track, so you could use it for future breeding plans.
It can be done, its just about how quickly you want it done.
If you could become a sleepless character you could do it in one long sprint but are likely to come across something angry.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 05:36:44 pm »

Are there any sites between that you can stash it for awhile, and will it remain if you sleep at a site?

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 02:44:57 am »

Are there any sites between that you can stash it for awhile, and will it remain if you sleep at a site?

Hmm. Lairs perhaps? There is a bandit camp I've almost cleared which lies on the route.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 05:27:42 am »

Definitely gonna say demigod strength training mule who is then made a vampire.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 06:44:49 am »

You don't need sleep. Sleep is for the weak. You'll suffer penalties, but it doesn't really matter.

Just set your wait key to repeat and hold it down until sunrise if you want to avoid bogeymen.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 06:54:30 am »

uhh funny thing about fast traveling, the game is changed so much that you can Fast travel with caged units in your inventory(last time I check in 40.23), just that the game now kinda removes caged units if you save or say retire the game.
like I had plans of setting up a prison fort that would keep all the bandits I captured lock up, but I don't think the game keeps locked people in cages perma locked on reload, unless that was patched in for retiring forts then I might have to attempt Prison fort.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 12:02:25 pm »

Edit the raws? Adding the nosleep and noexert tags should help. Maybe even boosting your race's physical strength to the max as well?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 01:48:51 pm »

A race's stats don't matter to adventurers, sorry.
Pages: [1] 2 3