Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Over clothing  (Read 1285 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Over clothing
« on: January 30, 2015, 10:29:25 pm »

Is there an easier way to let dorf, for example, wear gauntlets over mittens and ignore gloves?
If I choose "over clothing", they won't wear gauntlets because they already have a pair of gloves.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Over clothing
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 10:37:30 pm »

Specify the entire outfit, clothes and armor, and set it to replace clothing. This also seems to help military dwarves replace worn clothing in a more timely fashion.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:44:40 pm »

Well that'll take a while to finish.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 11:08:53 pm »

What do you mean? It takes me about a minute to specify a new uniform from scratch, and you can make a macro for it. Trousers, greaves, shirt, chainmail, cloak, breastplate, helm, hood, mittens, gauntlets, shoes, boots, shield, weapon. Set any materials you want. Done. Took me longer to type it than it does to specify it in game.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 12:25:39 am »

LOL
Fine.
I think I'm too lazy.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 03:34:09 am »

Doesn't work for me. The dorfs typically end up with one leg with socks and one with high boots, one hand with a gauntlet and on with mitts and gloves, so I've given up and allocate replacing military equipment only.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 11:32:28 pm »

Do not produce or import gloves.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 08:53:10 am »

Dwarfs bring gloves upon immigration. Not making new gloves isn't a solution, they'll just keep wearing their old gloves and mittens until they rot away (takes 7-8 years).

To reliably get proper armour on your morons you need to set "replace clothing" in the uniform setting. The most efficient way is to

go to the "m"ilitary screen
enter "n" - uniform definitions
set up a uniform with your desired items - a simple approach would be just to add non-conflicting clothing pieces (cloaks, hoods, mittens, socks) to the "metal armour" uniform
set "r"eplace clothing _on this page_, this makes it standard for the uniform

if you now order a squad to use this modified uniform, they'll shed their civilian clothes and put on proper armour without further prodding. At most a minute of setup to save yourself from having to muck around trying to yank caps and gloves and shoes off your soldiers.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 07:31:59 pm »

Dwarfs bring gloves upon immigration. Not making new gloves isn't a solution, they'll just keep wearing their old gloves and mittens until they rot away (takes 7-8 years).

To reliably get proper armour on your morons you need to set "replace clothing" in the uniform setting. The most efficient way is to

go to the "m"ilitary screen
enter "n" - uniform definitions
set up a uniform with your desired items - a simple approach would be just to add non-conflicting clothing pieces (cloaks, hoods, mittens, socks) to the "metal armour" uniform
set "r"eplace clothing _on this page_, this makes it standard for the uniform

if you now order a squad to use this modified uniform, they'll shed their civilian clothes and put on proper armour without further prodding. At most a minute of setup to save yourself from having to muck around trying to yank caps and gloves and shoes off your soldiers.

Thanks for the tip.

Here's my settings:

When the squad was created, I choose over clothing and assign the squad a uniform (for example, metal armor).
When they have all their necessary armor pieces (by then they should also have decent weapon skill levels), I switch to replace clothing. Then I replace their metal armor with breastplate and mail shirt. Then I add some cloak, trousers, mittens, socks and hoods if I like.
When they become elite(thus have reasonable high armor user skill as well), I will add more mail shirts and cloaks. Doing this earlier may result in ultra slow dorfs.

I used to give a new marksdwarf full set of metals, and he walked like crawling.

By the way, is there any dfhack script to save and load squad settings?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 07:33:35 pm by utunnels »